New
Find
Notify
Tools

tape in scope rings
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi all, not sure if this belongs here or in the Optics section. I recently purchased a scope mount/scope combination that has a single layer of what appears to be masking tape inside each scope ring. The owner says he put it there to prevent scope marks on the tube, and it seems to have done this well. It causes a noticeable gap between the rings when the screws are snugged up, but not enough to be objectionable. I'm just curious if this can degrade accuracy at all, due to some flex or give in the tape? I've lapped most of the rings on combinations that I considered "permanent" and wonder if I should remove the tape and do this here as well, or is the tape as good or better? Any thoughts?

John

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the tape trick with all my scopes. It protects the tube nicely. I have never noticed any degradation at all in accuracy or point of impact when using the tape. Some ring mfg's even include with it their rings.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the tape trick also, black electric tape trimmed. Does not effect accuracy. Warne premiers have big plastic inserts...

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have done the tape trick.
But, if I lap the rings, which is SOP, I don't use the tape.
I've done a number of scopes rings using JB Weld Epoxy to actually "bed" the scope in the rings so there is a perfect fit, with zero chance of marring the scope tube. This bedding is similar to bedding a barrel and action in a stock, which takes time. And, the older I get, the lazier I get. So, I now just lap the rings and install the scope. Done right, the lapping precludes getting ring marks.
Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really thick stiff rings could crush the scope tube if the tape goes all the way around.

I use tape in the bottom 60 degrees and to the top 60 degrees.

The rings that come with tape in the box have followed my leadWink

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to do it, and it worked well, until I switched to using Burris Signature rings with the plastic insert.

One of Us
Picture of WiNdTeCh
posted Hide Post
Why are your worried if it makes a mark on your scope? I have never figured this out... and I've never seen any of my rings make marks on my scopes from just throwing my rings on and throwing my scope on and eye balling my level... http://forums.accuratereloadin...2511043/m/4581080011 <<< proves my point... I'm using Talley rings on my cooper also... I wont use anything else after seeing these things... they are a perfect design...

Cooper .223 - Burris 8-32x50
JR Custom AR-15 - Burris 8-32x50 Mil-dot

Posts: 67 | Location: IOWA | Registered: 10 May 2009Reply With Quote