THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    A washer between the action and stock -- is this normal?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A washer between the action and stock -- is this normal?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is it "Remington normal" to have a steel washer around the forward action bolt - between the action and the stock?

Disassembled my Rem700 VLS-SA to change triggers last night and saw it. It's bent to sit flush in the curved forward action area.

TIA

Mike TBC

-

[ 08-06-2003, 05:19: Message edited by: The Birth Controller ]

one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
Never seen that one before, but you should get rid of it. With time and money permitting, a good glassbed job would be in order on that rifle too.

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt,

I just read "on another Forum" [Smile] that Remington puts that in there to "keep the magazine from binding".

And ... that removing it will also cause accuracy problems.

Comments?

TBC

[ 08-01-2003, 03:48: Message edited by: The Birth Controller ]

<RVB>
posted
I've done this a few times to see if removing the pressure point on the barrel would improve accuracy. But it is only a very temporary thing. I can't believe the rifle came from the factory like that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice macro photo...

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Birth Controller:
[QB]Is it "Remington normal" to have a steel washer around the forward action bolt - between the action and the stock?

Disassembled my Rem700 VLS-SA to change triggers last night and saw it. It's bent to sit flush in the curved barrel channel.

TIA

Mike TBC
QB]

A quick factory "fix" for a bottomed out bedding screw.

Wally

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
Well, you gotta couple of things that could be going on there, but they definitely picked worst damn way to deal with it. If the bedding was done too deep on both the top and bottom, you could squash the mag box between the bottom metal and the receiver. This would cause accuracy problems, but shouldn't effect feeding. If in fact they made the screws too long, this would be the quickest fix, but like most of the logic in the gun factories, that's not what you want to do.

The best thing that I can suggest is to throw it into the nearest garbage can, and begin the bedding process that will include bedding the bottom metal as well. When all the bedding is done, whether it be pillar or not pillar bedded, you should be able to reach inside the magwell, with the mag box installed, and get somewhere around .015"-.030" play in the box. Keep in mind, this is after you have completely bedded your rifle, and torqued the action screws to their proper amount, which is not neccessarily a set number. It does depend on the particular rifle, but definitely very snug. If the actions screws bottom out, then they will need to be ground down the proper amount to fit, but please don't put the washer back. That makes me kringe just looking at it.

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt,

I'm going to pillar bed the action with Score High's Kit.

I wrote the previous owner about the now infamous washer, but he hasn't replied yet. [Roll Eyes]

I'll post when I know something new about it.

Thanks for your posts!

Mike TBC

quote:
Originally posted by triggerguard1:
Well, you gotta couple of things that could be going on there, but they definitely picked worst damn way to deal with it. If the bedding was done too deep on both the top and bottom, you could squash the mag box between the bottom metal and the receiver. This would cause accuracy problems, but shouldn't effect feeding. If in fact they made the screws too long, this would be the quickest fix, but like most of the logic in the gun factories, that's not what you want to do.

The best thing that I can suggest is to throw it into the nearest garbage can, and begin the bedding process that will include bedding the bottom metal as well. When all the bedding is done, whether it be pillar or not pillar bedded, you should be able to reach inside the magwell, with the mag box installed, and get somewhere around .015"-.030" play in the box. Keep in mind, this is after you have completely bedded your rifle, and torqued the action screws to their proper amount, which is not neccessarily a set number. It does depend on the particular rifle, but definitely very snug. If the actions screws bottom out, then they will need to be ground down the proper amount to fit, but please don't put the washer back. That makes me kringe just looking at it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine the factory using such a "fix" for improper inletting of the stock.
I can say this much, if it's found out to be that the factory did use such a "fix", I can assure I'll never buy another Remington. I'm already avoiding them because of their quality problems and inaccuracy of the last couple I've shot. This would only seem to make me even more suspicious of their work.

[ 08-02-2003, 08:27: Message edited by: Bobby ]

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Remingtons version of pillar bedding? [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
Remingtons version of pillar bedding? [Roll Eyes]

The "Remington Washer" may just become the latest must have improvement for the Model 700 [Smile]

Wally

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby:
I can't imagine the factory using such a "fix" for improper inletting of the stock.
I can say this much, if it's found out to be that the factory did use such a "fix", I can assure I'll never buy another Remington. I'm already avoiding them because of their quality problems and inaccuracy of the last couple I've shot. This would only seem to make me even more suspicious of their work.

I wouldn't get too concerned about their quick fixes. If you knew half the crap that the manufacturers use to get the rifles out the door, you wouldn't by one from any of them.
Fixing their shoddy workmanship is a way of life, and keeps the gunsmiths from starving. Hell, without their stupid ideas and techniques, our jobs would vanish. What need would there be in purchasing a custom rifle?