Find
Notify
Tools

OT: BUYER BEWARE PHIL POMEROY QUALITY FIREARMS
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentlemen,
I apologise for this being off topic, however, I think it's relevant to the membership. I do not like to air dirty laundry in public, however, I feel a need to keep anyone else from getting burnt. I bought a used Winchester Model 70 Classic Super Grade in .30/06' from Phil Pomeroy Quality Firearms via Gunsamerica.com. His ad described the rifle as 98% of original condition. I received the rifle on 4/20/05 and noted normal nicks and scratches befitting a 98% rifle. There was, however, damage to the toe of the stock which had not been mentioned or shown in any of the nine digital photographs he sent. I also noted that the blueing had been ground away from inside the trigger guard. This looked like the removal of the bedded compound with a dremel tool. I bought the rifle largely because of the stock figure and had planned to have it rebarreled and bedded. The deal breaker was that the rifle had been do-it-yourself pillar bedded. I also noted that the rings and bases were not the Leupold models advertised. I e-mailed Mr. Pomeroy that afternoon explaining that the rifle was not what he had described OR what we had agreed to. I also mentioned the damage to the toe of the stock that was not mentioned in the ad OR shown in any of the nine digital pictures he forwarded. He choose to wait until the third day and my second e-mail to respond. He said the damage to the toe of the stock was "regrettable, but that happens with use." He said he "was not aware of the bedding job.", however, I had "disassembled the rifle without my(his) permission" and the "three day inspection ended" at that time. Hence he would "not accept "the return of this firearm."

I think the funniest part of his reply, if it were not soo pathetic, is that he "noticed the mounts and rings were not Leupold when packing the rifle, but didn't think it would be an issue. Besides, to some, "Leupold" has become a generic term for describing these parts." I thought that pretty much took the cake. There was evidently quite alot Mr. Pomeroy did not think would matter, however, to me it does.

I consider this to be a case of FRAUD...

Should any interested party have the desire I have copies of all of the e-mails and should have pictures of the rifle tomorrow afternoon. By all means FEEL FREE TO COPY AND POST THIS ON ANY OTHER FORUM YOU FREQUENT where it would be appropriate. I can only say the entire experience has been a disappointment. This marks the end of my buying weapons from unknown sources via the Internet. In all the years I've worked in this business I've never received a bad check or experienced a fraudulent transaction. Until now. Be certain of who you are sending your money to...

Regards, Matt Garrett
Chesapeake, Virginia
mattgarrett@earthlink.net
757-581-6270

His contact information:

Phil Pomeroy Quality Firearms
518 Shamrock Rd
Rexville NY 14877
(607) 356-3577
philny1@zoominternet.net
FFL # 6-16-101-01-5L-00472

Posts: 525 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Bummer. Sorry that happened Matt. Thanks for the heads up on a guy that appears to be a crook.

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt in Virginia:
Gentlemen,
I apologise for this being off topic, however, I think it's relevant to the membership. I do not like to air dirty laundry in public, however, I feel a need to keep anyone else from getting burnt. I bought a used Winchester Model 70 Classic Super Grade in .30/06' from Phil Pomeroy Quality Firearms via Gunsamerica.com. His ad described the rifle as 98% of original condition. I received the rifle on 4/20/05 and noted normal nicks and scratches befitting a 98% rifle. There was, however, damage to the toe of the stock which had not been mentioned or shown in any of the nine digital photographs he sent. I also noted that the blueing had been ground away from inside the trigger guard. This looked like the removal of the bedded compound with a dremel tool. I bought the rifle largely because of the stock figure and had planned to have it rebarreled and bedded. The deal breaker was that the rifle had been do-it-yourself pillar bedded. I also noted that the rings and bases were not the Leupold models advertised. I e-mailed Mr. Pomeroy that afternoon explaining that the rifle was not what he had described OR what we had agreed to. I also mentioned the damage to the toe of the stock that was not mentioned in the ad OR shown in any of the nine digital pictures he forwarded. He choose to wait until the third day and my second e-mail to respond. He said the damage to the toe of the stock was "regrettable, but that happens with use." He said he "was not aware of the bedding job.", however, I had "disassembled the rifle without my(his) permission" and the "three day inspection ended" at that time. Hence he would "not accept "the return of this firearm."

I think the funniest part of his reply, if it were not soo pathetic, is that he "noticed the mounts and rings were not Leupold when packing the rifle, but didn't think it would be an issue. Besides, to some, "Leupold" has become a generic term for describing these parts." I thought that pretty much took the cake. There was evidently quite alot Mr. Pomeroy did not think would matter, however, to me it does.

I consider this to be a case of FRAUD...

Should any interested party have the desire I have copies of all of the e-mails and should have pictures of the rifle tomorrow afternoon. By all means FEEL FREE TO COPY AND POST THIS ON ANY OTHER FORUM YOU FREQUENT where it would be appropriate. I can only say the entire experience has been a disappointment. This marks the end of my buying weapons from unknown sources via the Internet. In all the years I've worked in this business I've never received a bad check or experienced a fraudulent transaction. Until now. Be certain of who you are sending your money to...

Regards, Matt Garrett
Chesapeake, Virginia
mattgarrett@earthlink.net
757-581-6270

His contact information:

Phil Pomeroy Quality Firearms
518 Shamrock Rd
Rexville NY 14877
(607) 356-3577
philny1@zoominternet.net
FFL # 6-16-101-01-5L-00472

Phil,

Make sure you leave appropriate feedback on GunsAmerica, and report him to GA as an unscrupulous seller.
It sounds like you've run into a scumbag, and there isn't much you can do to receive redress, just the satisfaction that you get from notifying potential buyers of his lack of integrity.

Good luck,
George
P.S. You should have called his shop, and spoken to him personally. E-mail is a convenience, but it will never replace hearing the guy's voice.
P.P.S. Contact NYS and find out which agency can help you file a complaint for consumer fraud (this is a clear case of misrepresentation of goods).

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Matt,

I moved this thread from the African Forum, because I thought this is a more appropriate place for it.

When I came here, I see that you have already posted the same thing on this forum.

I am sorry you are having this problem with them, but honestly cannot see the point of posting it on several forums.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GeorgeS,
Appreciate the input. I reported him earlier today. Could'nt agree more on the e-mail issue...

Saeed,
Apoligize for the breach of decorum...

Regards, Matt Garrett
Chesapeake, Virginia

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just because I’m old and spooky, before I contacted a government agency about this I would make damn sure that this guy actually, and legally “owned†the firearm he sold you.

Was the transfer done through a dealer? And is this guy a licenced dealer? May sound paranoid...but from what you’ve described I wouldn’t trust this sucker any farther than I could throw that big-ol-buffler George S. is sitting next to! Smiler

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick,
Everything on my end is legal. Rifle was received by a local gun shop. I have my receipt for the receiving fee as well as the state police background check. The state and federal paper work was in order as I checked it myself(I'm registered as a gun seller in Virginia). That said not much would surprise me on his end. His FFL number is included at the bottom of the first post. Thank you for the input.

Regards, Matt Garrett
Chesapeake, Virginia

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is always going to be problems with the description of guns because condition is such a subjective thing.

What bothers me the most about this transaction is that the seller allowed a 3 day INSPECTION privilege, but didn't want the weapon inspected.

Why not invite PHil to come on here and explain his side of the story as to what that inspection privilege means if it doesn't mean inspecting the weapon.

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
How do you post negative feedback on gunsamerica? Is there a place to even look at feedback? I had a similar problem with another seller a while back. Pissed me off but what do you do? It would be nice to warn others since this could happen again. This guy Phil sells a lot of guns on that site. I hope your post gets noticed!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The three day inspection period is law. So, he isn't giving anything that the others don't give in the way of inspections. Yes, the guy wanted Matt to inspect the rifle for three days, but wouldn't agree with him looking at anything except the outside. I want to see what the inside looks like too.. That's a part of the rifle too, equally important to the exterior. The guy waited to answer Matt's e-mail for the three day period too. Matt e-mailed him immediately. The guy is sleazy.
Where I come, from the seller bends over backwards to satisfy his customers.
Don

one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DMB,
There was no prohibition on disassembly during the three day inspection mentioned until he responded on the third day with the surprise clause. Which was not mentioned in ANY of our e-mail or in the ad. Had that been a part of the deal I would have abided by it...

fb168,
No, that's not how to "win friends and influence people". That is how one tries to deal with a blatantly dishonest dealer who seems content to commit fraud and ignore both the written and unwritten rules of gun sales...

Believe it or not I've gone out of my way to give him the benefit of the doubt and the time to in anyway redress the issue.

Regards, Matt.

One of Us
Picture of brianbo
posted Hide Post
fireball 168,
I think what Matt in Virginia did was entirely appropriate. I've been burned before by unscrupulous internet dealers. Legal recourse would cost much more than what he apparently paid for the gun. He did the next best thing... hitting Phil Pomeroy in his wallet while warning others off at the same time.

Matt,
Best of luck resolving this to your satisfaction.

Regards,
Brian

Meet "Beauty" - 66 cal., 417 grn patched roundball over 170 grns FFg = ~1950 fps of pure fun!

"Scotch Whisky is made from barley and the morning dew on angel's nipples." - Warren Ellis

NRA Life Member

Posts: 479 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: 10 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know...lets all get together and go beat this guys skinny little ass! jump

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
OUCH!!!I noticed his name in the LH Rifles with a lot of guns for sale. I guess he is a guy to stay away from. I am curious how long your listings will last. Keep us posted.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
FWIW I didn't read anything critical about Matt's actions in fireball's post. It sounded like support to me?

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt,
Thanks for the information. I think we all to often let these issues slid away and then the next guy gets burnt. I was wondering how the rifle was shipped. If it was by USPS then you may want to discuss this with the Post Master General since it may be mail fraud. If it were me I'd try every angle. Good luck.

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt... Way to go , I think you did the appropriate thing. The guy sounds like he is a dishonest prick to me.

I got burned once by a seller on gunbroker that misreprisented and lied about the condition of a rifle then played dumb after I contacted him . I returned the rifle and he ripped me off and refused to return all my money.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brianbo
posted Hide Post
I misread fireball's post the first time around. I apologize for inferring that he wasn't supportive of Matt's situation and actions.

Regards,
Brian

Meet "Beauty" - 66 cal., 417 grn patched roundball over 170 grns FFg = ~1950 fps of pure fun!

"Scotch Whisky is made from barley and the morning dew on angel's nipples." - Warren Ellis

NRA Life Member

Posts: 479 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: 10 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
I sent Gunsamerica the complaint on 4/26. They never responded, however, they evidently took exception to the BUYER BEWARE PHIL POMEROY ads that I placed. I received the following e-mail from Paul (Shlomo) Helinsk, of Gunsamerica Custom Support, on 5/4:

On May 4, 2005, at 9:12 PM, GunsAmerica Support wrote:

Hi. You have been banned and added to our list of fraudulent posters. This isn't a place for games and it will not be tolerated.
Paul (Shlomo) Helinski
GunsAmerica Customer Support

I sent him the following message:
Hi Paul,
You can be assured that my posts had NOTHING to do with "games". As a matter of fact I sent Gunsamerica.com an e-mail on April 26th on this issue that was not answered. I'll attach that e-mail if you would have the courtesy to read it(I included the e-mails exchanged from Mr. Pomeroy and myself as well). If you have any questions please feel free to call or e-mail me. I greatly appreciate your time...

Matt Garrett
Chesapeake, Virginia

He responded on 5/6 with:

"You posted the ads. You are gone. And you are also on the permanent fraud list."

It would be funny if it were not soo pathetic. I'm the "fraudulent" seller now... Right. I can only suggest that you know who your money is going to as Gunsamerica sides with whomever pays the most for ad space...

Regards, Matt Garrett
Chesapeake, Virginia

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gunsamerica is well known from the past. The were extensive discussions in gunsboards.com about the utterly weird behaviour and strange email exchanges with its owner, about 2-3 years ago.

The major perp there is a psychiatric case, who I hope is now under stable medication; I do not hold it against him (I mean "psychiatric" here in the literal sense, DSM-IV; not as an overblown insult).

One can occasionally make a good deal, and the only gun which I bought through Gunsamerica came from an utterly honest seller. But the site itself is crooked.

Carcano

--
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither."

"Is the world less safe now than before you declared your Holy war? You bet!"
(DUK asking Americans, 14th June 2004)

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt,
I want you to know, I have a lot more respect for you than the whole of Gunsamerica. They did nothing to an unscrupulous member and then chastised and banned you for trying to tell others. It just shows how little the site will do to help the buyers who have been wronged by the crooked sales members.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting Info... I dont think I have ever got a reply from any seller that I have emailed with question about a gun for sale on Gunsamerica. I always thought that Gunsamerica was very strainge . The site instructions are out in "left field" too. Very Bizar.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt, well way to go!!!! Getting "banned" at Gunamerica is a step in the right direction. Hell, I got banned over there for the same type of thing several years ago, it was just the start of my web site bannings roflmao
I've be banned by some of the best, my all time best was by limp dicked mental midget over at HA jump
I have had good luck at auction arms and gun broker so far.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gentlemen,
I sent Gunsamerica the complaint on 4/26. They never responded, however, they evidently took exception to the BUYER BEWARE PHIL POMEROY ads that I placed. I received the following e-mail from Paul (Shlomo) Helinsk, of Gunsamerica Custom Support, on 5/4:

On May 4, 2005, at 9:12 PM, GunsAmerica Support wrote:

Hi. You have been banned and added to our list of fraudulent posters. This isn't a place for games and it will not be tolerated.
Paul (Shlomo) Helinski

I sent him the following message:
Hi Paul,
You can be assured that my posts had NOTHING to do with "games". As a matter of fact I sent Gunsamerica.com an e-mail on April 26th on this issue that was not answered. I'll attach that e-mail if you would have the courtesy to read it(I included the e-mails exchanged from Mr. Pomeroy and myself as well). If you have any questions please feel free to call or e-mail me. I greatly appreciate your time...

Matt Garrett
Chesapeake, Virginia

He responded on 5/6 with:

"You posted the ads. You are gone. And you are also on the permanent fraud list."

It would be funny if it were not soo pathetic. I'm the "fraudulent" seller now... Right. I can only suggest that you know who your money is going to as Gunsamerica sides with whomever pays the most for ad space...

Regards, Matt Garrett
Chesapeake, Virginia

Matt,

It's time to get some government agencies involved; to handle Pomeroy's shenanigans, and to investigate GunsAmerica's complicity in the furtherance of fraud.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Matt,

It's time to get some government agencies involved; to handle Pomeroy's shenanigans, and to investigate GunsAmerica's complicity in the furtherance of fraud.

George

George,

I vote to send in the Marines! Smiler

posted Hide Post
We can also screw with this Pomeroy character by contacting him to buy his guns, and not carry through.

This will be especially effective if a couple of people want the same gun, and offer to outbid the 'other buyer'. Big Grin gunsmile

George

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The BATF will not do anything about a situation like this.

However, if you paid with a U.S. Postal Service money order, make a formal complaint with the postal inspectors. They can be very persuasive and have resolved far more serious problems with a simple phone call.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
... You have been banned (at Gunsamerica)...
Hey Matt, It sure looks like they did you a favor by preventing you from ever being "tempted" to buy anything from one of their harbored crooks. Darn shame you had to go through the fiasco.

Just wanted to "Thank You" for relating the story to us. I've never bought a thing from their site, but have certainly considered it. Now, I see no reason to ever waste my time going back there.

Best of luck to you on your future trades.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
We can also screw with this Pomeroy character by contacting him to buy his guns, and not carry through.

This will be especially effective if a couple of people want the same gun, and offer to outbid the 'other buyer'. Big Grin gunsmile

George

If you want to screw with him, contact the ATF and see if he turned in his bound book when he let his licence expire. If he didn’t do that they won’t issue a new licence should he ever decide to get another one. thumb

one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread. Matt, they have banned you for your ads but the links are still functional.
Rob

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you pay by credit card? You can dispute the charge, up to 60 or 90 days after the sale. Check your card's provisions.

Just another alternative.

Posts: 284 | Location: Orange, CA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
I GREATLY appreciate your input and kind commentary. I paid with a check and suspect I'll be chalking this one up to experience. I can only suggest that I have tried to give both parties every opportunity to in anyway redress this situation. They choose to ignore it...

Duly noted...

Regards, Matt Garrett
Chesapeake, Virginia

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Matt...How about contacting the NY State's Attoreny's General Office?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt-

Sorry buddy. After looking into this a bit further, it seems that YOU are the one who was burned, paid too much, are a nut case, and mentally unstable. Phil is a stand-up guy, who should be trusted.

After all, I got it straight from "Shlomo" at GunsAmerica.

This was my email to GunsAmerica this morning...

Nice attitude guys.
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9411043/m/749105652

Read down the page, it gets quite flattering to GunsAmerica.

And this is his response...

This guy is a real gem. I assure you, when someone makes this much noise,
it was they who boggled the transaction to start. The seller has been here
for litterally years with no prior complaint over almost 200 transactions.
The internet is a funny place. You automatically believed that he was
telling the truth. You have no idea whether he made it all up, or just the
part about the gun. Usually buyers like this make up the story after their
ffl dealer who took the gun in makes fun of them for paying too much.
Generally they were mentally unstable to start and the ego hit sends them
ballistic, which was the case here. Yes, the internet is a funny place.
-ph

Paul (Shlomo) Helinski

Roll Eyes roflmao

Sorry to have to expose you this way.... Wink

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
The seller has been here
for litterally years with no prior complaint over almost 200 transactions.
The internet is a funny place. You automatically believed that he was
telling the truth.

How many complaints do they need on someone before they start to think that just maybe the customer realy is right? If the first is just a "nut case" what is the tenth, a "crank"?? Do they wait until #100 to "look into it"??
bull bull

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Generally they were mentally unstable to start and the ego hit sends them
ballistic, which was the case here. Yes, the internet is a funny place.

This from a guy named Shlomo Confused Frowner nut

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
What a well-reasoned rebuttal.

Old Shlomo really set the record straight, didn't he? thumbdown

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'm sure Shlomo is really qualified to pass judgement on a person's character (not having any of his own and all).

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Wow. Sure glad he cleared that up for me. So if a guy complains then good old SHLOMO is "assured" that the complainer is the one that messed it up. So if you complain you are automatically in the wrong. Sure makes the customer service job easier since the complainer is always wrong therefore nothing to handle.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote