THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Test fired the starting loads in my 505 today. Picture added!

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Test fired the starting loads in my 505 today. Picture added!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted
I had an enjoyable afternoon in the woods today. I lit off four rounds out of the Gibbs. I started with 118 grains of IMR 4831 in front of a Fed 215 primer. The bullet was a Woodleigh 525 grain soft. I intend on increasing the powder charge until I reach factory velocities. I don't feel any need to go beyond, nor desire to do so.

I have to give kudos to Messr. Wisner. Jim did all of the rail, bolt and magazine work to get the feeding in order. Boy did he accomplish his misson in spades. It feeds like pouring water down a funnel.

Now comes the fun part. Working up the loads and sighting the rifle in to 50 yds (not so fun part).

Wish me and my shoulder good luck. ;-)

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin MadRoger, you didn't sound in pain when I talked to you, so you must have enjoyed it. I do expect a call when the next outing is so I can get it on film. thumb
Since this gun is such a beauty, how bout some pictures so we can all drool.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No, but I assure you he is stuttering... clap

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger.

When you are ready to go again, let me know and I will bring some 525 gr Barnes Solids for those hard to stop engine blocks.

Also need to dust off my chrono, you will be surprized at the vel.

Shotting an 505 is like blackpowder, once it is your blood you can not get rid of it.

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scrollcutter:
I had an enjoyable afternoon in the woods today. I lit off four rounds out of the Gibbs. I started with 118 grains of IMR 4831 in front of a Fed 215 primer. The bullet was a Woodleigh 525 grain soft. )

Better you than me. Thats gotta smart. bawling roflmao

Posts: 10173 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Just a wild guess, but I'd wager velocities aren't much more than 2000 fps with this loading. Recoil is a bit stiffer than my 9 lb. 458. Stiff enough that I can feel the recoil pad beginning to bottom out.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Here you go Jimmy. The sights and sling swivel mount are now blued. They are Jim's creation, as well.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Roger,
You'll soon find that you miss the sudden spinal alignment that a 1/2" or better gives you... and you'll be loving it and grining!!

Man, who did that stock? I love it...

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good luck! roflmao

Purtty rifle, I'm close to jealous too. beer

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Very very Nice!

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe, I bet Roder did the stock himself.

Roger, very nice.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle Roger. Who did the engraving work? Big Grin

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger, if memory serves me, I think it is just a bit over 10 years since the barrel was installed and the stock finished. I bet Ray is smiling down on you during this.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle Roger.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the compliments on the rifle guys. This one is more than just a great rifle. This rifle is special...

Like Chic said, it got started about 10 years ago. Ray Price started the project as a show piece/spec rifle. The first time I saw it was at the Seattle NRA show. A bunch of us gun guys from Washington state went together on a booth to display our wares. Anyway, Ray had the rifle there. It was stocked and the bulk of the metal work was completed (Jim Wisner later completed the feeding and sights). I fell in love with the rifle (who wouldn't, right). After the show Ray was always ribbing me to buy the rifle off of him. I knew it was out of my reach and would retort with something along the lines of the fun I was going to have watching Ray shoot the rifle. "Small chance in that" was Ray's reply.

It wasn't too long after that, I got a call from Ray telling me they discovered he had leukemia and they would be starting chemo therapy. Soon after Ray got out of the hospital he called and asked if I would put together an '86 Winchester that had just returned from Turnbull for case coloring (only if you have assembled a freshly refinished '86 can you know how nerve racking it is to assemble the finger lever/bolt/ejector into the gun and not scratch it, let alone trying to do it sick from chemo :-[). Anyhow, I told him to ship it over and I would get right on it for him. A couple of days later the package shows up. I open it up and low and behold here's the '86 and the 505. I called Ray to let him know I got the guns. What do you want me to do with the 505? Ray said, "That's yours. Finish her up." You can imagine,I felt like I had swallowed an apple whole.

So now, I'm one step closer to having her finished up...it feels good.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
Scrollcutter: A couple of days later the package shows up. I open it up and low and behold here's the '86 and the 505. I called Ray to let him know I got the guns. What do you want me to do with the 505? Ray said, "That's yours. Finish her up."

The story is just a beautiful as the rifle, makes it really special. Smiler

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:

The story is just a beautiful as the rifle, makes it really special. Smiler

My thoughts exactly. Thanks for sharing them both Roger. thumb

Posts: 10173 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted Hide Post
Wow Roger - what a gift. That's a great thing you have in your hands, and it rightly should remind you all the time of a great man.

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I remember reading about the rifle when you posted about it before (although I think you posted more detail this time). Thanks for giving us progress reports on this special project.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote