New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ Brno M98 quality?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For some strange reason I have followed the history of older Brnos zg47,21H etc, rifles but not themore recent ones.
So,can someone tell me about the quality/history of the CZ BrnoM98.
I was looking at one the other day. it felt good, but I dont know the quality of its metallurgy, is it chromemolly?. It had the C-ring and solid left wall with CZ stamped on it. But another one I picked up did not have the c-ring( it was broached on both sides).

This is not the one, but just an example.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976739501.htm

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
if it's CZ brno m98, it's made after the waer,
if it says mauserwerks fabricken brunn (burnn?)(or something close) it was made during german occupation.

if it says CZ brno, I believe it's at least of the same quality as a vz-24

j

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The gun in the photo does not have a solid left wall, it has the thumb cut. It will also have the charger hump removed. These are VZ-24 that have been factory reconditioned and sold commercially. Brno cleans them up nicely as sells them in Europe in both full and half stock variations. The ones imported by EAA (the link on GunsAmerica) have a simple phosphate finish, a plastic stock and no sights. They are not very nice as sold by EAA, but the action makes a great basis for a custom rifle.

Most Brno commercial 98's will be small ring (1942 to 1955). These all have a solid left wall, with post 1949 models having scope bridges instead of a charging hump. There were some large ring commercial 98's made in the '30s as a Model A or B. These have a solid left wall and a charging hump.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
actually its my understanding that BRNO and CZ are somewhat different companies, BRNO over in Czech will sell bare actions, some say they are left over VZ 24's that where never made into rifles, This looks to be the case with this gun, It was prolly made here with one of their actions, It would be really helpful to see more pics of the gun, the gun could also be VZ 24 action that was made into a sporter, Without lots more pics its tuff to tell if the gun is worth it or not, When it comes to sporterized mausers there is more that can go wrong than right if they person doing the work isn't really good at it

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
actually its my understanding that BRNO and CZ are somewhat different companies, BRNO over in Czech will sell bare actions, some say they are left over VZ 24's that where never made into rifles, This looks to be the case with this gun, It was prolly made here with one of their actions, It would be really helpful to see more pics of the gun, the gun could also be VZ 24 action that was made into a sporter, Without lots more pics its tuff to tell if the gun is worth it or not, When it comes to sporterized mausers there is more that can go wrong than right if they person doing the work isn't really good at it

I have dealt with BRNO and they are fine people. They informed me they will not ship actions only to the US, but they will barreled actions and you can pick the caliber and barrel length needed, however you need to work the permits. They were imported several times by companies without catching on, and no marketing was employeed. EAA was the most recent. The one I handled had a 7X57 bore with a very long 27 inch barrel on it.

At one time there was CZ-BRNO and what was occuring was rifles from both BRNO and CZ being sold as CZ stock. They are very seperate companies, but the governement control un the communists set this up. Additionally, they have the machinery to product the VZ-24 actions, but I do not know if they are, or if they are using premade actions from surplus. That being said, the only EAA version I got has a great action, but a flag safety.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote