THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone received their Legacy Sports M98 actions?
 Login/Join

<Pfeifer>
posted
Has anyone received their Legacy Sports Int'l "Safari Model 98" actions yet? I called them today and they said that they would deliver promptly so it sounds like they're in stock. Just wanted to know more about the quality & finish. I understand that it is the matte blue "Field" grade (as opposed to "Custom" grade) action that is on sale 'til April. I got some more dimensional info such as:

action len: 8.66"
ejection port len: 3.11"
bolt face diam: .69"
bolt len: 7.72"

Not all that useful I guess...the gent didn't have the magazine box length measurement which would also be handy to have. Quite impressed with the picture and specs though. Will make a nice platform for a 9.3 though ... eh Ray Would like to know better whether this action is suited for a 9.3x64 though or better off using something else? The M70 type 3-pos safety is a nice feature.

Jeff P

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,
I ordered one today and the 9.3X64 is exactly what I am going chamber it for. I have two reamers (9.3X62 and 9.3X64) that has been begging to be used for a rifle. Well you can talk to your plants, I will talk to my cutters and reamers.

I have a friend in Oregon who has two of these actions. He is the editor of The Gunmaker, the quarterly journal of the American Custom Gunmakers Guild and he did a small article on this action a few issues ago.

His first action was the long Magnum variation and he gave a good report on it. The magnum action in this case is basically the same action that has been milled in the front and the magazine box lengthened, not exactly his cup of tea for a long Magnum. He was favorable impressed in the workmanship.

Jim Wisener builds rings that fit the dovetails on the double square bridge.

Chic Worthing

[This message has been edited by Customstox (edited 03-02-2002).]

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Pfeifer>
posted
Chic,
Are these the small BRNO rings wrt size, if so I have a set of Wisner's double magnum QR rings I had him make me special last year. I also have a set of Jaeger sidemounts that might add a nice continental touch ... allowing the ribs to be file cut onto a qtr-rib

So did your friend get his M98 action this way with the work already done (sounds like it) or did he have to have the lengthening done after he received it? Just wondering how much work would need to be done for the 9.3x64 BRENNKE option??? The gent on the phone said that this was a "30-'06" length action.
Jeff P

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,
From what I understand he rings are a special size but Steve (Nelson) said in his review that Jim Wisener builds them. Probably a special order though. His rings are very good and very accurately made. Steve is going to recut the dovetails on the square bridge to fit Talley rings and he is going to cut a recoil shoulder on it too so it can't shift. I am going to follow suit.

The 9.3X64 Brenneke is the same length as the 30/06. I just measured a dummy round that I use for checking feeding and it is 3.310. It is a bit larger in diameter but not much. The rim is .494 and the body just ahead of it is .503. It will need to have the bolt face opened up just a skosh.

At $275, I just couldn't turn down the offer for one of these.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Pfeifer>
posted
Do you know if this is the same actions that "Alex Imports" is importing? My friend Paul asked me that this morning. Jeff P

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is from what I have heard. Steve Nelsons article was on the Alex import and he said they are one in the same.

Chic

<Pfeifer>
posted
Chic,
Maybe you can start talking to your 9.3x64 reamer for me too Who are you going to for your 9.3 barrel...Lothar-Walther? I think I'd really like to find one on a 1.75" blank that I could have an integral rib cut on to match that on the front ring.

My friend Paul looked at the two side by side today and said that he thought they were one in the same too. Something about Alex actions saying that these were Belgian though. Maybe just a difference in who does the finishing???

Jeff P

one of us
posted Hide Post
[

My friend Paul looked at the two side by side today and said that he thought they were one in the same too. Something about Alex actions saying that these were Belgian though. Maybe just a difference in who does the finishing???

Jeff P[/B][/QUOTE]

Jeff,
Alex import's 2 different square bribge Mauser's. The Armor International's I bought say made in Belgium on them the Global safari's are made in Italy.The Global's have a nicer finish than the Armour's.

------------------
Ron

Posts: 67 | Location: Eddington,Maine, | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Pfeifer>
posted
Ron,
Thanks! That is the type of info / feedback we need to hear on this board...from those who have already been there and done that.
BTW - What became of your actions wrt chamberings Jeff P

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pfeifer, I will either use Lothar-Walther or PacNor. An integral rib is an expensive way to go, but you probably know that. The metal around the rib has to be removed with a milling machine and then the ridges are draw filed off. Lots of time and money. Butch Searcy has barrels for 98's that have integral features, ribs, barrel bands and front ramps. The prices are around $1200 if I remember and that is a bargain. I don't know if he has that bore but I bet he can get it. I have a link to that part of his web site at home that he sent me. I will get it and post it tonight.

Chic

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
An update on the M98 stripped bolts from Alex Imports. THESE ARE NOT PLUG & PLAY BOLTS! EVERY one I have used required several hours of fitting. They seem to fit FN comercial action much better then K98K actions but they still require work.

1. The front edge of the bolt root hit the rear of the receiver bridge.

2. The rear of the bolt root hit the front of the bolt shroud.

3. The bolt shroud threads in the bolt had to be chased.

4. On two of the bolts the anti-bind rib on the bolt was too a wee bit too wide.

5. The firing pin protrusion is through the bolt face is .020 too great.

CONCLUSION: These bolts are not worth the effort! I seriously doubt that these bolts are being manufactured in Europe! This definitely does not look like European workmanship! Why does China come to mind?

I have since been told by a source that several of you know but who asked not to be named; that the so called Belgium actions started out as forgings from China.
Doug Humbarger

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I have not seen the Italian Legacy actions in person but I have seen the Belgium actions which do not impress me. The Italian actions look much nicer (at least the pictures do) and I would be surprised if the two are the same.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pfeifer, here is the link to a part of Butch's site. I was off a bit on the barrels. they are $1100 as machined, $1600 draw filed and stoned to 220.

http://www.searcyent.com/barrelsaction.htm

<Pfeifer>
posted
Chic,
These are very nice and unfortunately out of my range...but inspiring! I have a .510 barrel that I had octagon cut (w/ "scallop") with the top three flats left long for a rib. My gunsmith has aready rounded the breech cylinder to create the .625" wide rib in that area...and that is where it has been for the last two years.

I will have to stop by and meet Butch next time I pass through Boron on my way back to SCal from Idaho. Been through there several times...not a whole lot there but mining. Jeff P

<Pfeifer>
posted
Well,
I finally got it all together and sent the order out today for the Legacy Sports Int'l 98 Field action

Customstox,
Did you receive yours yet? Anxious to hear about your 9.3x64 as it goes together....
Regards - Jeff P

one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pfeifer:
[B]Well,
I finally got it all together and sent the order out today for the Legacy Sports Int'l 98 Field action

What is the cost of the Legacy action to dealers? Will Legacy International sell direc to gunsmiths?

Wally

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
The current promotional price to FFL holders is only $275 plus $7.50 shipping costs.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Pfeifer>
posted
Promo runs through the end of April they said. Actually I asked about sending in an order for two at that price and they said that the promo was for one at that price BUT that "if an order came in for two...they wouldn't turn it away" I asked this as my FFL friend was/is thinking of getting one and I wanted one so.... Jeff P

<Pfeifer>
posted
Well guys I finally picked up my Global M98 Field action the other day It is a nice starting point for a new custom rifle. I've also got a nice fiddleback piece of Claro headed this way too.

I spoke with the parts guy / gunsmith at Legacy Sports - Pat Wheeler, and he told me that Boyds is making an inletted walnut stock for these actions. He said that it is the same as that on the Interarms(?) MarkX "Viscount" rifle but inletted for this action. ...So if they can inlet for this action then they should be able to turn another profile and inlet it as well for this action.

Pat said that these actions are selling as fast as they can get them (at the promo price) and they are waiting on their next shipment at the moment...good news I'd like to think. The "thumbscrew" rings are on their way as well from B-Square and in the next 30-days a slide on Weaver base that screw-on (on this action...gag!) not to my way of thinking I guess. I think I'm going ot talk with Jim Wisner and have him make me a set of QR rings.

I also asked if they stocked the bottom metal (1 piece steel, hinged floorplate with trigger guard release) for sale separately and he said that decision will probably be 6 months out after they see how well the action sales do.

All in all, I am a very pleased camper! Now to make the decision on that chambering. I initially wanted a 9.3x64 Brennke but this magazine will only hold 3+1. I told myself that I would NOT do the 9.3x62 on this action as the CZ American is just a more cost effective way to get one of those in my book.

I'd like to hear what others are chambering theirs in? I think Chic Worthing said that he was also going the 9.3x64 Brennke route. I still like this best unless I can get something bigger in there

Jeff P

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pfeifer,
There is a fellow in Utah by the name of Morris Melani. He is building rings that are a copy of Tom Burgess rings. They are the best QD rings ever made. These are the equal of them. I bought two pair at SCI and dropped one set off with Jack Belk on my way home. They are very good. The are a lever with a cam and it take a 90 degree turn and it is solid, and you can go either direction.

His price is $150 a set. Bases are $40. He will cut a double square bridge to fit the rings for a price but I cant remember what it was. The workmanship is awesome. He can be reached at melani@melaniprecision.com. Tell him Chic said hi. I will post some photos of the rings when soon.

BTW, Burgess rings if you can find them go for $300 and up, usually up.

Chic

[This message has been edited by Customstox (edited 04-16-2002).]

<Pfeifer>
posted
Customstox,
I'll drop Morris an email. Would love to see what I'm getting into when you get those picts sometime. I sent JackB an email mentioning this and link to this thread.

Regards,
Jeff P

<Pfeifer>
posted
Well, I made it over to a friend's house on Saturday and tried several different cases in this action to see how many would fit in the magazine box. My original desire for this rifle was to barrel / chamber for 9.3x64 Brennke round. My friend Paul has one and so has a good supply of cartridges for testing. In the end we could "squeeze" four rounds into the magazine box but the bolt would not close over the fourth round without denting.

The (one piece steel) magazine box walls appear to offer some "opportunity" in this area as they are reasonably thick and then there is perhaps the alteration of the floorplate itself. But I think there is a very good chance of getting four rounds in the magazine...with safe and reliable feeding as the desired objective - something not to be compromised on!

Any thoughts?

Chic - Any picts of those Milani rings yet?

Jeff P