Find
Notify
Tools

All original pre-64 M70 375 H&H...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted
We've all seen the ads for the highly desirable pre-64 Model 70 that's "all original, except..."; then follows a long list of exceptions.

I have an "all original" Model 70 375 H&H that has a list of exceptions that breaks my heart. Here are the exceptions:

• "Custom" (short) LOP
  • Bubba-installed Pachmayr pad
  • Barrel shortened to 20"
  • 1950's era muzzle brake installed
  • Front and rear sights "modified"
  • "Custom" bolt handle added
  • Previous owner's social security number "engraved" on floorplate
  • "Custom" checkering (done with a pocket knife)
  • "Updated" sling swivel studs

I'd call it 98% overall.

As sad as sounds, I'll just have to pull this fine specimen apart and use the action for a custom project. Unless of course one of you guys want to take it off my hands for $2500. That's not a bad price for an all original 375 H&H.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    Please move this to the Humor page.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
    one of us
    Picture of duikerman
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by eddieharren:
    Please move this to the Humor page.

Hell, there's more humor in reading the Sunday night drunken gunsmith bashing of Jeffeosso right here on this forum.

This so called original isn't even funny! The political forum is ideal for this thread. Somewhere where no one cares.

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    Forrest, sad but so very true. Confused
    There has been on on the classifieds here that is bubbaed up for 1950 and it doesn't even have a usabable action for a custom unless you spend mega bucks to fill the extra off center hole in the top of the action rotflmo

I have been lucky in the two pre-64's I needed and picked up here. One a FW 264 and a 300 win mag, both were an easy 95%+ orignal condition without any BUBBA functions.

When I see these guns for sale, Iam only willing to pay what the useable action is worth to me. I have been lucky to have stockpiled several nice orignal pre-64 stocks for future use.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
    one of us
    Picture of fla3006
    posted Hide Post
    I've got one that's all original too except for a short stock, 50's vintage screw-on muzzle brake, banded ramp front sight, refinished stock, recheckered, Lyman 48 receiver sight, etc. Wink

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
    Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
    one of us
    Picture of ramrod340
    posted Hide Post
    So how many BUTs can you have and still call it original??? Confused

Guess I'm a little tuff. If there is one BUT the the term "original" no longer holds water. It is now a "motified" pre64.

As usual just my $.02
    Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
    one of us
    Picture of aktoklat
    posted Hide Post
    LOL, Funniest ad I have read in years. He has a real sense of humor. He must of been tipping a few when he dreamed this one up!

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    You guys are breaking my heart. About ten years ago I got into a little financial pickle and sold a truly original win 375 for a price that makes me want to cry to this day. Oh well it paid the bills at a time that I realy needed to. Ever since have wanted a usable one back. I don't care if it is original. Stooped so low as to make an offer on one that had the front ring drilled almost in two with off center holes and a custom stock. Got a very nasty response. Oh well have a 602 375 in route to me now and Tip Burns building a 375 with a tang safety. Some day the gun gods may just smile on me and I might run into another usable win 375 at a reasonalble price.

Should we form a counseling group for people who sold guns they shouldn't have?

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    How about the guys who list there gun as NIB and then when you call they tell you how good the gun shoots and for another $200 they will leave the scope on it? Then they throw in the kicker...They can't find the box!

Posts: 144 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    reelman....
    Of course the NIB guns shoot great....why else could someone ask such prices! Anyway, I did have the box when I bought it new, and I think I saved the box when I put the scope on it...and I think that I still have the plug screws for the base holes in the reciever....oh well you know, it is like NIB...... clap

Posts: 1669 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
    Picture of jeffeosso
    posted Hide Post
    all original 1948 studebaker... (radiator cap) complete rebuild, new ford 302 and paxton supercharger...

neon orange...
    recarro seats
    rancho suspension
    radial tires

100% orginal (radiator cap) on totally reworked 1948 stude ...

in other words, not a part but the cap left the factory in that body....

or

great hachet, had for 27 years, 4 handles, 2 heads later, it's still an original

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
    the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
    What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
    476AR,
    http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote