New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dakota, Shilen, after market, etc...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been building a few rifles lately, some for customers, some for myself (display examples) and have been amazed at the lack of quality in the after market parts.

Today was what finally irked me enough to see what others have experienced. I bought a Dakota M70 style safety for a mauser project. Out of 15 bolts I had handy at the shop it fit 1. By fit, I mean, the bolt shroud threaded into the bolt. Bolts were everything from Argy 09's, Braz 08, Oberndorf, vz.24's, Yugo's, Mex, etc.

The most recent batch of barrels I got from shilen are dissapointing. I cut the barrels between centers before cutting the octagon. Most the bores are incredibly off center of the OD.

Now, I work at a major firm and deal with quality issues every day... but we make literally thousands of complex parts a DAY. Dakota cannot do a quality check on a couple hundred bolt shrouds? Even a basic function check? Mauser variance aside... the bolt shroud should fit more than 6%!

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1507 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure, but I think those Dakota'a are made by Gentry. IF that be the case, that is your problem; that's one of the reasons I don't use them, that and the timing problem. ALso, the Mauser bolt threads are all the way across the tolerance spctrum. For this reason, Ed Lapour makes his oversize and they must be fitted, lapped in to fit.

As far as the barrels go, Don't know what to tell you; I use a ton of Shilen barrels and use them as turned, I don't cut the octagon 'cause my mill table is too short.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oddly enough, Martini Gunmakers keeps the Dakota ones in stock and uses a lot of them; I doubt that Ralf would consider using any inferior products.

He is currently installing a Dakota safety I got from a friend on a F.I.E.-FN .308Norma that another friend gave me last year and has installed a Satterlee, a Lapour and a couple of original Wisner 3-pos. for me, they all seem to come out very nicely when skilled hands install them.

I have a Shilen bbl. on my Martini-customized Dakota 76-.338WM and it shoots well under m.o.a. and cleans up very easily, so, I suspect that you just received a "lemon" and every manufacturer will let one of those out of the shop on occasion.

I once bought a minty doublegun from a VERY prestigious British maker and it seemed just fine. It was sent to a British gunmaker here in Canada and he found that the main action pin had been installed crookedly at the makers........sh!t happens, eh.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't call it a lack of QC at Dakota just because a shroud doesn't screw in. If you measure 50 mauser bolts you'll likely come up with 50 different meaurements.

Heck, ever try to fit one of Ed LaPour's shrouds? They are purposely left a tad large so as to be hand fitted to ensure the best possible fit. Sadly, those not in the know tend to PooPoo the safety giving it an undeserved bad name. Ed's is undoubtedly one of if not the best Safety on the market.

My only complaint of the Dakota shroud besides never being in stock is the weak detents the safety has. The middle position is too easy to overshoot. I find it much easier to go to the third position first then back to the middle.

Now, the Gentry, that one is fraught with problems. The threads are often not indexed properly, or the lever was not indexed properly when the relief was cut that allows the cocking piece to enter the tunnel when the flag is full forward. I think Jim Anderson has seen enough Gentry's to last him a lifetime. Worst part is trying to deal with Gentry when an issue does arise. Have fun.

Not saying that QC issues don't crop up now and again. I had to make a mandrel to recut the threads on a Dakota not too long ago. But that was the first in over a 100 installed.

If you take a milsurp Mauser shroud and try it in 50 bolts you will find that there are some it will not screw into. To make an aftermarket shroud that is a true drop in part would require making the threads so small that it will be sloppy in the majority of bolts it is fitted to.

Me, I prefer to hand fit them. Ain't hard or time consuming but it insures superior function.

Shilen? Well, it ought to be fun when Butchlambert reads this!

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim, I had heard that either Gentry made Dakota's, or vice versa. I plan on using one of Lapours safety's on a future project to see how I like them.

Dewey, Shilen does make great barrels, a friend has won a great many competitions using their barrels. However... I got 12 barrels in this last batch, boy... more than a few of them will be challenging.

Mike, absolutely, I cannot emphasize enough that making any type of aftermarket mauser part is a difficult proposition. I spose I should just take some pictures of this shroud compared to a few other shrouds. You can see with a quick look that the thread form is not fully cut. Similar if you have ever seen a NOGO thread gauge? Hand fitting will not be quick on this one!

I'll be interested to hear what Butch has to say. I would indicate the runout on one of the 7mm barrels I was getting ready to cut but none of my indicators will measure that much travel!

Anyone used a NECG? Opinions? Problems?

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had heard that either Gentry made Dakota's, or vice versa

They mgiht but the two I had here on the bench a while back didn't look the same. So different tooling (program) would be needed.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
I wouldn't call it a lack of QC at Dakota just because a shroud doesn't screw in. If you measure 50 mauser bolts you'll likely come up with 50 different meaurements.

Heck, ever try to fit one of Ed LaPour's shrouds? They are purposely left a tad large so as to be hand fitted to ensure the best possible fit. Sadly, those not in the know tend to PooPoo the safety giving it an undeserved bad name. Ed's is undoubtedly one of if not the best Safety on the market.

My only complaint of the Dakota shroud besides never being in stock is the weak detents the safety has. The middle position is too easy to overshoot. I find it much easier to go to the third position first then back to the middle.

Now, the Gentry, that one is fraught with problems. The threads are often not indexed properly, or the lever was not indexed properly when the relief was cut that allows the cocking piece to enter the tunnel when the flag is full forward. I think Jim Anderson has seen enough Gentry's to last him a lifetime. Worst part is trying to deal with Gentry when an issue does arise. Have fun.

Not saying that QC issues don't crop up now and again. I had to make a mandrel to recut the threads on a Dakota not too long ago. But that was the first in over a 100 installed.

If you take a milsurp Mauser shroud and try it in 50 bolts you will find that there are some it will not screw into. To make an aftermarket shroud that is a true drop in part would require making the threads so small that it will be sloppy in the majority of bolts it is fitted to.

Me, I prefer to hand fit them. Ain't hard or time consuming but it insures superior function.

Isn't that kinda like what I said? Only not so many words?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fal Grunt:
Jim, I had heard that either Gentry made Dakota's, or vice versa. I plan on using one of Lapours safety's on a future project to see how I like them.

Dewey, Shilen does make great barrels, a friend has won a great many competitions using their barrels. However... I got 12 barrels in this last batch, boy... more than a few of them will be challenging.

Mike, absolutely, I cannot emphasize enough that making any type of aftermarket mauser part is a difficult proposition. I spose I should just take some pictures of this shroud compared to a few other shrouds. You can see with a quick look that the thread form is not fully cut. Similar if you have ever seen a NOGO thread gauge? Hand fitting will not be quick on this one!

I'll be interested to hear what Butch has to say. I would indicate the runout on one of the 7mm barrels I was getting ready to cut but none of my indicators will measure that much travel!

Anyone used a NECG? Opinions? Problems?[/QUOTE

Re: Necg (Recknagel) safeties. I liked these a lot! In my experience, they require some fitting, but not as much as La Pour. I like the real screw to remove the flag instead of a one way taper pin. And..a bit easier to engrave.

I too, have had plenty of trouble with Gentry safeties. Too bad... still like the looks best of any out there

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
quote:

I'm sorry, didn't know that once you had spoken the topic was closed. Big Grin

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rotflmo

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm sorry, didn't know that once you had spoken the topic was closed. Big Grin

Sorry, didn't intend to offend.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:

Re: Necg (Recknagel) safeties. I liked these a lot! In my experience, they require some fitting, but not as much as La Pour. I like the real screw to remove the flag instead of a one way taper pin. And..a bit easier to engrave.

I too, have had plenty of trouble with Gentry safeties. Too bad... still like the looks best of any out there

Duane, I think LaPour changed his design to omit the tapered pins.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:

Duane, I think LaPour changed his design to omit the tapered pins.

That would be good!...thanks

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,Well lets see.
My Rock and Bartlein BR barrels are shooting great.
James Anderson has had no trouble cutting a few Shilen barrels into octagons for me. James Kobe has had no trouble installing the Gentry and Dakota 3 pos safeties for me.
Nat, unfortunately you will have to make do with what you purchase while doing custom gunwork.Certainly not a knock on you, but some of this comes from learned skills and the school of hard knocks.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Mike,Well lets see.
My Rock and Bartlein BR barrels are shooting great.
James Anderson has had no trouble cutting a few Shilen barrels into octagons for me. James Kobe has had no trouble installing the Gentry and Dakota 3 pos safeties for me.
Nat, unfortunately you will have to make do with what you purchase while doing custom gunwork.Certainly not a knock on you, but some of this comes from learned skills and the school of hard knocks.
Butch

jumping

Aut vincere aut mori

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nat, I forgot to mentioned that my Rock and Bartlein have runout. Let me ask, was it on the big end? Shilen leaves theirs unturned on the big end. Most gunsmiths turn the big end to match whatever receiver that they are chambering. Yes they could turn .050-.100 off the big end, but that would mean turning it around in the contouring lathe and probably charge you an extra $25 on the blank.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The barrels I received are unturned, a straight 1.250 the whole length. This accommodates the integral front sight base.

The particular .284 barrel has a surprising amount of runout. Enough so that I cannot turn the barrel between centers because of the vibration. I would indicate how much, but none of my indicators have enough travel.

I normally turn about 6" of one end down about .050 between centers. Then I crown the other end. With the amount of chatter and vibration I am getting from the runout I am having a hard time getting a good finish.

Any suggestions?

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nat,
Why did you complain on a forum that can't fix your problems? I visited with Shilen and you have never said anything to them.
Nat, they can't fix anything that they are unaware of.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nat,
Let me add this. Why don't you chuck it up in the headstock indicating the bore in each end.Cut the big end off to your required length and turn the OD. Turn the barrel around in the headstock and cut and crown. Put it in your mill and do your octagon and front sight. That would eliminate your chatter.
Butch

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fal Grunt:
The barrels I received are unturned, a straight 1.250 the whole length. This accommodates the integral front sight base.

The particular .284 barrel has a surprising amount of runout. Enough so that I cannot turn the barrel between centers because of the vibration. I would indicate how much, but none of my indicators have enough travel.

I normally turn about 6" of one end down about .050 between centers. Then I crown the other end. With the amount of chatter and vibration I am getting from the runout I am having a hard time getting a good finish.

Any suggestions?

You will not get an unturned blank from any barrel maker that does not have a ton of runout and I do not think you should expect it. If you need 1.25" barrel with no runout, buy a 1.5" blank and turn it between centers. When you buy a blank, why does it matter how much runout it has? You will not be locating any of your machining from the outside of the barrel, but rather from where the bore is. Many ways to get to this point, and should be done on any barrel job.

Best of luck,
John

Posts: 565 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Nat,
Why did you complain on a forum that can't fix your problems? I visited with Shilen and you have never said anything to them.
Nat, they can't fix anything that they are unaware of.
Butch

rotflmo

Absolutely butch, absolutely.

I did not call and complain for one simple reason. It took them 14 weeks to get me my barrels after quoting my whole order ready in 6. The barrel is usable, it will just take me more time, more work, and complicate the process.

I have not had the chance to run the rest between centers, I wanted to see how many of the rest of the barrels I may have issue with before bringing it up with the supplier.

As you said gasgunner, all blanks have run out and I do not expect them to have no runout. The first batch of barrels I bought from shilen had .010-.025 runout. I turn both ends concentric from the bore and then indicate in a 4-jaw in my dividing head and a dead center. So, it is necessary for me to locate off the exterior and need to be able to turn a concentric smooth surface. Butch, this is the same reason I cannot cut the extra off first, I need it to chuck in my dividing head and have clearance for the tool holder.

Maybe you can advise a better setup?

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nate,

Here is something to worry about, how much runout will you have after you cut the barrel down where you want it, finished. Stress relief??

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
FWIW, a lot of folks don't realize that in order to successfully turn a barrel between centers you first have to carefully prep both ends so they are perpendicular to the bore. A lot of well meaning people simply clamp the barrel in the chuck and take a cut off each end thinking it is square to the bore when in reality it is most likely far from it.

If your intentions are to turn a barrel between centers, you will need to dial in the bore as if you were chambering in the headstock, and then true the ends.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"are perpendicular to the bore."

I hope you meant "concentric", perpendicular would be ok if the barrel didn't have any bend to it. Maybe a little picky here but...

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
No, I meant what I said. If you were to set up each end of the barrel in the lathe as if you were going to chamber it in the headstock, dialing in at lease the first 6 - 8" of the bore, like you would when chambering in the headstock, AND THEN square the ends, the ends will be "perpendicular", or, 90 degrees to the first 6 - 8" of the bore.

Then, when you turn the barrel on centers, provided the centers are true with the axis of the machine, you can be pretty well assured that the O.D. will be "concentric" with the bore at both ends. The only "concentricity" issues you will then have will be that area in the center. And no one has control over that.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are correct, I apologize. WhaT I was referring to in my origianal post, and not well written, was the runout in the middle of the blank. Sorry, I mis-read you.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
No problem.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I take it back. I will disagree with you on that one. If the bore is not straight, you need to be concentric AND perpendicular with the bore. Perpendicular only applies to that infinitismal portion of the bore at the crown end. DOn't mean to start an argument here but it will not be perpendicular at a point down the bore.

Peace.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Perpendicular only applies to that infinitismal portion of the bore at the crown end.

Would you not want the shoulder where you are butting the barrel to the action to be perpendicular to the bore?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
My completely rational adult side says "let it go", but the Marine in me is telling me something waaaay different.

I'll just say this Jim, get yourself a pen and piece of paper, draw it out and then see where you are.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Something not intended to throw fuel on the fire, but merely information to use at your discretion. Upon reading Westpac's post I realized I was making an incredibly stupid assumption. I was assuming that the centers put in by shilen were actually centers. So I did a simple experiment.

I took the 7mm barrel in question and turned it between centers. Then using gauge pins I mounted the barrel in 2 v-blocks on a surface plate and indicated the diameters. The V-block's are close, not perfect, but close. The guage pins were vermont minus pins.

What I found was interesting. The center on the "label" side (ie where shilen stamps barrel information) the center was dead nuts. However at the other end, the turned diameter was ~ .0055 off.

So I have modified my process a little to account for the centers being off, part of which, includes turning the OD concentric, facing, and re-centering(single point)

Jim, I do not know. I have been doing a lot of research about this and am getting all kinds of mixed responses.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:
Perpendicular only applies to that infinitismal portion of the bore at the crown end.

Would you not want the shoulder where you are butting the barrel to the action to be perpendicular to the bore?

Ramrod, yes, but I was only referring to the crown.
Just let me know how to draw a line that is perpendicular to an arc; the barrel is not straight, it is an arc. You can draw it perpendicular to the tangent but not to an arc.

This is a really dumb argument, sorry I even got going on it. I know, let it go.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was .0055" off, that sure ain't much is it Nat.
Butch

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Something not intended to throw fuel on the fire, but merely information to use at your discretion. Upon reading Westpac's post I realized I was making an incredibly stupid assumption. I was assuming that the centers put in by shilen were actually centers. So I did a simple experiment.

I took the 7mm barrel in question and turned it between centers. Then using gauge pins I mounted the barrel in 2 v-blocks on a surface plate and indicated the diameters. The V-block's are close, not perfect, but close. The guage pins were vermont minus pins.

What I found was interesting. The center on the "label" side (ie where shilen stamps barrel information) the center was dead nuts. However at the other end, the turned diameter was ~ .0055 off.

So I have modified my process a little to account for the centers being off, part of which, includes turning the OD concentric, facing, and re-centering(single point)

Jim, I do not know. I have been doing a lot of research about this and am getting all kinds of mixed responses.

First thing you do is ALWAYS cut the barrel to as close as finished length as you can while leaving enough length for you to work with, then cut new accurate centers on each end. Doing this and turning a few inches at each end to run true to the new centers should be a 5 minute deal regardless of how far out the barrel is. Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill, leave that to the guys on BRcentral :-).

If you are getting chatter on the ends, you need to look at your setup. Trying to turn in the center of A 28" blank yes, but within 2" of the tailstock you should not be getting any chatter.

Best of luck,
John

Posts: 565 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The center on the breech[chamber end] is put in by hand and then put in the deep hole drill. The center on the muzzle[crown] end is put in after drilling because you don't know exactly where the deep hole drill will come out after drilling a 28" + hole.
Again you mentioned it being off 5 and 1/2 thousandths as that is what .0055 is and I think that is close.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gasgunner:
First thing you do is ALWAYS cut the barrel to as close as finished length as you can while leaving enough length for you to work with, then cut new accurate centers on each end. Doing this and turning a few inches at each end to run true to the new centers should be a 5 minute deal regardless of how far out the barrel is. Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill, leave that to the guys on BRcentral :-).

If you are getting chatter on the ends, you need to look at your setup. Trying to turn in the center of A 28" blank yes, but within 2" of the tailstock you should not be getting any chatter.

Best of luck,
John

John,

I should be having YOU teach me to be a gunsmith. I must say, setting all this up and cutting it in 5 minutes would be a hoot to watch. It takes me 5 minutes just to get the barrel indicated on one end. Big Grin

Ok, in all seriousness. What should I look at in my setup? I have a dead center on the drive end with a faceplate and a live center on the other end. Thats all I have for cutting the OD concentric.

The unfortunate part about my process is that if I want a 23" barrel, I need about 26".

Butch, no your right, the center being off .0055 is not much at all. But I never said it was much. What I said was the bore was incredibly off center of the OD. If you have a plunge indicator I can borrow I will measure how much the barrel wobbles between centers which I believe is the main cause of my chatter.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ok, in all seriousness. What should I look at in my setup? I have a dead center on the drive end with a faceplate and a live center on the other end. Thats all I have for cutting the OD concentric.

Just curious, do you take a truing cut on your dead center every time you mount it? I take a truing cut every time I use a dead center, be it chuck mounted (all the time now) or when I would use a face plate. A lot of folks assume the center to always be... well, centered. And no matter how minor the change, it changes every time is it mounted.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:

Just curious, do you take a truing cut on your dead center every time you mount it? I take a truing cut every time I use a dead center, be it chuck mounted (all the time now) or when I would use a face plate. A lot of folks assume the center to always be... well, centered. And no matter how minor the change, it changes every time is it mounted.

Westpac,

I do not, my center is a precision ground hardened center.

I pulled up an interesting qoute from Mr. Wisner:
"They are 2 MMPT x 60 degree buttress with a flat crest and a flat bottom"

The Dakota I have looks like a Nogo guage... flats on the top of the thread form. Maybe those are correct to the pre-war design? Could there have been a design change somewhere along the line?

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Has anyone ever written a Gunsmiths guide to machine tools??

The variances in setups and techniques is ridiculous

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:

Westpac,

I do not, my center is a precision ground hardened center.

Knowing things don't always seat the same, have you ever checked it for repeatability?