New
Find
Notify
Tools

1909 Argentina Mauser Model 98
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have had for sometime now a very clean, matching serial numbers 1909 Argentina Mauser Model 98 action. It is just sitting here and thought just maybe I should do something with it. Anyway, my question is:

Could this be made into a 9.3X62 without much problems or terrible costs? It would just be a hunter....maybe dollars way head by buying a CZ already in that caliber?

Posts: 320 | Location: Lebanon, Missouri | Registered: 02 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would be cheaper to buy the CZ.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you don't count the cost of the action you might be able to do it. Don't know what the "street" price on the CZ is, but I think the MSRP is right around $870.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Craigster,
You have a barrel, chambering cost, a stock and fitting, scope mounts and rings, trigger,and? The CZ would be a much nicer rifle for $870.
To make the Argentine nice even with a glass stock would be closer to $1100. and that ain't a full custom.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch,

The following $ figures are from ER Shaw:

Barrel 155
Install and chamber 75
D&T for scope 45
Forge bolt 60
Bold trigger (side safety) 85
Blue 105
Shipping (both ways) 60

Total 585

If the CZ goes for 870, that leaves 285 for a plastic stock, rings and bases.

Optional heat treating of action, add 100 to the 585.

Have I missed anything?

Obviously, this would not be a full custom, but it would work. Also, the action cost is not included.

ER Shaw has it's pro's and con's, but that has been discussed at length in the past.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
If money is a concern you would be miles ahead by selling the action and buying the CZ. That said you could build a stunning beautiful rifle with the 1909 action. It wouldn't be cheap, but would be worthwhile. I used mine for a 9.3X62.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TC1- WOW! Very nice rifle.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Craigster, I suppose that you can do anything if you try. Doing it that way will not come close to the quality of a CZ. I would use the Argentine as Terry has on his beautiful rifle.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
buetiful gun, TC1...
just exactly what i want my .35 whelen( on the same action) to look like. i'm assembling the pieces right now, hoping to have it done for deer seaon next winter.
never built one with iron sights, yet, may i ask....what brand/part# are those on your rifle? they are exactly what i want!.
beutiful wood also!, just the right look....

Posts: 415 | Location: no-central wisconsin | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Craigster, I suppose that you can do anything if you try. Doing it that way will not come close to the quality of a CZ. I would use the Argentine as Terry has on his beautiful rifle.
Butch

I agree completlely.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TC1
Stunning.. What are Your Stock Dimension .. Where did you get that Wood..
Thanks,
AK

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
LOP is 14" I would guess the drop to be around 1 3/4".

I got that wood from a guy that sells on eBay. He goes by the name DakotaCliff. He has a Hoenig (SP?) duplicator and a few patterns he sells copies of. I had my own pattern and contacted him for a side job. I had 2 stocks I wanted duplicated off the pattern and only one piece of wood. He said he had and extra piece of Claro walnut he was sure I would like so I bought it sight unseen for $400 and he threw in the duplication on that piece for free. I got an email when he was finished saying the wood turned out even nicer than he expected and I was in for a surprise.

Yea, Cliff is a class act Smiler

Terry

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
LOP is 14" I would guess the drop to be around 1 3/4".

I got that wood from a guy that sells on eBay. He goes by the name DakotaCliff. He has a Hoenig (SP?) duplicator and a few patterns he sells copies of. I had my own pattern and contacted him for a side job. I had 2 stocks I wanted duplicated off the pattern and only one piece of wood. He said he had and extra piece of Claro walnut he was sure I would like so I bought it sight unseen for $400 and he threw in the duplication on that piece for free. I got an email when he was finished saying the wood turned out even nicer than he expected and I was in for a surprise.

Yea, Cliff is a class act Smiler

Terry

Really nice gun and the wood that is one heck of a claro looks great

Posts: 18 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 22 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry, how close was his duplicating? I've only got semi-inlets from his and was wondering how close he follows a pattern.
Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Markey:
Terry, how close was his duplicating? I've only got semi-inlets from his and was wondering how close he follows a pattern.
Don

All in all it was a great job. Almost a 1 to 1. Like with most duplications it was a little thicker on one side but nothing major, certainly nothing like his generic patterns. He leaves enough wood on those to build 2 stocks Big Grin

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Don Markey:
Don

All in all it was a great job. Almost a 1 to 1. Like with most duplications it was a little thicker on one side but nothing major, certainly nothing like his generic patterns. He leaves enough wood on those to build 2 stocks Big Grin

Terry

thanks Terry but I would have said 3 stocks! Smiler, gives you lots of room for creativity though.
Don

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
beer

BTW, the absalute best duplications I've ever got came from James Anderson and Shane Thompson.

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
beer

BTW, the absalute best duplications I've ever got came from James Anderson and Shane Thompson.

Terry

I was planning on calling James or Ed Shulin anyway, I just like to know options. You never know when you might have to shift gears because someone is too busy to meet your turn around time.
Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Send you a PM

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you; Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your sins, the other for your freedom...."

Posts: 426 | Location: Yakima, Washington, USA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote