New
Find
Notify
Tools

getting paint off of an Enfield
 Login/Join

<squirrel skinner>
posted
I have a Enfield thats been painted. I don't know what kind of paint it is, but it won't come off. I've tried every thing from hand wire brushes, to getting a extra course sanding disk for a drill. And it won't come off. Now I'm ready to try something chemical, can any body tell what kind would work?

one of us
posted Hide Post
If it is just paint then try paint remover.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41898 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<manhasset>
posted
I soaked a 98 mauser that was painted in the gallon can of Gunk carb. cleaner. Floated right off, no harm to the action.
Bob

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Carbarator cleaners RULE! I always have a case on hand.

------------------
Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<squirrel skinner>
posted
Manhasset,
where can some one get this "Gunk carb" cleaner? I've never heard of that befor.
Skinner

one of us
posted Hide Post
Squirrel, you might try an auto parts shop, or your local discount center.

Good luck and good shooting

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
<manhasset>
posted
Squirrel, Eterry is correct.Gunk is a trade name with Solder Seal(liq.wrench?) made by Radiator Specialty Co. charlotte,NC.

I would imagine any carb. cleaner would do, just this product does not evaporate as fast as the stuff in the spray cans. The gallon can comes with a small parts basket inside for soaking.
Bob

<OTTO>
posted
The last Enfield that I stripped was done on a wire wheel on my bench grinder.

------------------
From my cold, dead hands!
Thanks Chuck!