THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hard on the outside; soft on the inside??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm asking (axen) about triggers. Lois is gettin me a Power custom jig for stoning triggers. Are Ruger 10/22, Ruger Mark II/III and AR triggers all through hardened, or are some or all of them just surface hardened.

Thanks,

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about those guns .The ones I've come across that were bad were S&W s that weren't properly case hardened and some BP revolvers and rifles that weren't case hardened at all !! A properly hardened [case or otherwise] trigger is not going to require much stoning at all. It's a matter of using a fine stone to polish , not remove metal. If there's improper hardening you'll find out because the trigger job won't hold for long. IIRC [ it's been a while] the original Ruger 22 pistols weren't very hard , but a quick polish and some reduction in contact area was all that was needed.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
The Ruger's are all through hard. I don't know about the AR.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lawndart:
... Lois is gettin me a Power custom jig for stoning triggers. ..
Hey JCN, Did you tear up the "Side Grinder"??? cheers

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
M16-triggers are surface hardened. Or at least they used to be. If the AR-15 has a modified military trigger and most do then it's not too safe to stone them. There's a lot of really good replacement triggers for the AR.
gunmaker

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1852 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Ruger triggers are way-easy to do without any sort of jig. If you're looking for AR trigger look close at the JP.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
... Lois is gettin me a Power custom jig for stoning triggers. ..
Hey JCN, Did you tear up the "Side Grinder"???

No, Lois is doing fine.

I personally favor two stage triggers in AR's.

Some of the guys have to have a trigger that looks "stock" to casual inspection. So long as it never doubles or triples it won't ever get anything more than a casual inspection, especially after the very careful bead blast and Cerakote of the back and sides to cover the "rainbow".

It is a lot easier to qualify at 40/40 with 4# than 7#-12#.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
all ruger triggers are sintered (that the right way to spell that) and are ONLY ONLY ONLY surface hardened.
jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38613 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks jeffe,

I was afraid that can of Kasenit was going to last forever.

LD

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
jeffeosso:all ruger triggers are sintered (that the right way to spell that) and are ONLY ONLY ONLY surface hardened.
May I ask how you know that and how deep the hardening goes?

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Hey JCN, Did you tear up the "Side Grinder"???

No, Lois is doing fine.....
To quote Terry Bradshaw, "Now that is FUNNY!!!" jumping

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
May I ask how you know that and how deep the hardening goes?

Only wayto know for sure how deep the hardening goes is to cut one apart and check it with a file. Which I will do.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Lawndart, that'll be useful.

I abandoned a Thompson-Center 22 Classic because of that. The trigger group was too complicated for me, and my local gunsmith mentioned he wanted no part of it. He said T-C's triggers were MIM (metal injection molding) and had a hardening depth of 0.007", too shallow to trust with any reasonable smoothing.

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffeoso, the term is PM [powdered metal] .Sintering is just part of the process. Are you sure they are powder metal rather than the usual investment casting that Ruger uses ?? If you look at a case hardened powder metal part under a microscope it looks weird !! Again if the case hardening is proper you won't be removing it when you polish.