Find
Notify
Tools

Golf shaft epoxy
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted
I just got in from building a new driver. I tinker on all my clubs and reshaft/reweight, and grind em et. I use both short setting (10 min) and longer (18 hour) epoxy. The shorter setting is good for quick set ups and testing clubs as it is also easier to break the seal when reshafting. I also use glass beads (powdered silica) to maintain shaft concentricity in the hosel when curing the epoxy.

How does golf epoxy differ from bedding compound? Are they interchangeable? Just curious as my idea of gunsmithing is check writing.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1433 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I work on my own clubs as well and have often wondered if shaft epoxy would be a good bedding material. After all, it is submitted to repeated impact and holds up well.

I may just try it on a rifle for kicks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just got in from building a new driver.

I make my own clubs, too. Been doing it since 1992. I've built six or seven sets for myself as well as a few for others. I've been able to make every set a little better than the last. Getting a swingweight scale really helps. I can't see paying $300 for a driver when I can do it myself for 1/5 the price and know what I have. Great hobby-- just like brewing your own beer...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
generally, faster setting is more brittle .. generally ..

read the msds on devcon, marinetex grey, acraglass, and then everything else .. look at the contents, ,as well .. its surprising...

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38659 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
uh - i don't play golf, so i have no experience with putting any kind of epoxy on my shaft

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used JB Weld to repair stocks and to re-bed rifles while in the bush, many times.

Professional Hunter - Tanzania

Posts: 88 | Location: So. Cal & Tanzania | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a lot of epoxy in making knives. But, I really don't know a lot about tensil and compressive strengths of different epoxy. IIRC, Custom Stocks who posts here did a posting on different epoxy's a few years ago. May have been someone else, but I think it was Chick Worthing.
I use Conap and Devcon mostly as you can mix equal amounts of resin and hardner, which works for me. And, it also works for holding knives together. Don't know what those old time knifemakers did without epoxy. I'd be lost without it.
The nice thing about Conap is that it comes in both jet black, and white. So, I can use it with Black Ebony and real Ivory, or ivory micarta handles. Devcon comes in clear only, at least that's all I've ever seen.
I do use JB Weld too, mainly for bedding 22 Rimfire rifles. But, for centerfire rifles, I like Acraglass gel best.
Just thinking, I bedded a 222 Rem Mag about 3 months ago using slow cure Devcon with Fiberglass floc mixed in with it. I only bedded the recoil lug, and the finished job was excellent, however it cured white in color. But, it's out of sight inside the stock, so no one sees it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My old bench mate in the boat shop I worked in for years routinely built/repaired his clubs using the West System epoxy we used for everything else. Thickened it with colloidal silica, worked great.

Having spent the last 20 years of my life using West System- several 50 gallon drums worth- I'm kind of partial to it. I've thickened it with fibreglass flock, colloidal silica, and powdered metal and they have all worked well for bedding gunstocks.

Posts: 332 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use a bedding epoxy with the highest peel strength !!! . West Systems , Devcon or Lords are Real Good ones .

If you would like to know What Callaway or Taylor Made uses I could possibly tell you

although I will need their consent prior to doing so . I have friends in Low places , I'll ask the plant

manager or the Bosses secretary ?. For Taylor made I'll put Candy ass McCord on it ASAP

He Still owes me !. archer archer archer

colloidal silica, is a decent filler but has NO STRENGTH . If bonding a shaft to a head Tight

tolerances are essential , abrading receiver and shaft ensures proper adhesion , if filling a gap

use chopped fibers MUCH STRONGER than common filler !.

http://www.ehow.com/how_489572...hite-golf-shaft.html

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The guys in the Titleist, Callaway, Mizuno and Taylor Made tour vans use 3M DP-810 epoxy. It is a quick set epoxy but holds up well. Don't know what they use at the factory.

You can hit newly shafted clubs within an hour with DP-810 or within a few minutes if they cure it in one of their "ovens" they have on the vans.

I've wanted to try bedding with it, but you can't buy it in Kalifornia. Maybe I will pick some up when I head to Reno for SCI.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...you can't buy it in Kalifornia.

Why not? Some geek in a lab think that feeding it to rats at 500 pounds a day for 250 years might give the little basker cancer?

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CAS 11 ; Try these folks ,here is a Close relative . Search the 3 M section or shoot them an E mail for a

specific line item . They have never failed me unless it was a specific priority blend for an

industry usage only product . They can match you up with nearly any product you may require !.

http://www.ellsworth.com/displ...tid=1870&Tab=Vendors

archer archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by homebrewer:
quote:
...you can't buy it in Kalifornia.

Why not? Some geek in a lab think that feeding it to rats at 500 pounds a day for 250 years might give the little basker cancer?

I long ago gave up trying to assign reason to the decisions that come from the imbeciles under the dome. Their collective iq can't be even close to retard territory.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Doc. I appreciate the link.

The stuff that the tour vans use is readily available outside of KA, and I could probably even get some from one of the guys if need be. A friend of mine plays on tour and introduced me to some of the guys, and a very old friend that I've been close to since kindergarten is CFO of Callaway, so I have some ins.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
uh - i don't play golf, so i have no experience with putting any kind of epoxy on my shaft

There's a Tiger Woods joke in there somewhere....

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7764 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote