New
Find
Notify
Tools

Building a .22-250 -- Got some questions
 Login/Join

<mwsmith>
posted
First off, I'm going to build this on a Reminton 700 BDL action with a Pac-Nor barrel. This will sit in an 'ultimate sniper' stock ( http://www.riflestock.com/supplement1.cfm?title_bar=The%20Ultimate%20Sniper%20Target%20Stock ) I'll have my gunsmith do the chambering and assembly.

Now for the questions...

What's the best way to get a 700 BDL action? Are they offered for sale separately? Do I have to get a gun and take it apart for the action? Are any of you out there selling one? Thanks for any help.

Michael

<auto>
posted
You might check some of the on-line auction sites to see what is out there. Another place would be your local sporting goods shop that carries used rifles, or the pawn shops. I have seen barreled actions for sale, but it was a long time ago. I would guess that you best bet would be to look for a used gun with the short action. It could be banged up pretty bad, and wouldn't matter, all you are after is the action.

<mwsmith>
posted
Yeah, I figured as much. Oh well, we sure don't have a shortage of pawn shops here. I'll have to look for a beater.

Michael

<ULTRA MAG LEE>
posted
you might want to rethink your barrel...can we say hart....

<Jon B>
posted
Hart Barrels are far superior to Pac-Nor crap!

<Ross Spagrud>
posted
I cannot comment on anybody's experience
with Pac Nor barrels except my own and I
have found them to be excellent.

This statement comes from having installed
well over two hundred of them.

Regards
Ross
www.prairiegunworks.com

<Jon B>
posted
I can't remember the last time I seen a Pac-Nor on a BR gun.

<Sparticus>
posted
A friend of mine is putting one on his AR-15. .223caliber He shoots competively. Camp Grayling and Peary, etc...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ultra Mag Lee and Jon B, what do you base your opinions of the Pac Nor barrels on? Experiences, word of mouth, cost? Just wondering, since I've never heard a bad thing about the Pac Nor barrels up until now and most of what I've heard has been more than positive.

Back to the question- you might want to try gunlist. There used to be several outfits that sold used actions and barreled actions- one of them is called Chesters, I think they are located in New York. Also, a good used beater short action Rem 700 in anything from 22-250 to 308 will be fine for your project. Lots of those things hanging around and sometimes the price is right if you're patient.
Have you picked the bullet you want to shoot in your rifle? You might want to give it some thought as it will make a difference in the twist you order for your barrel.
Good luck with your project- I really love my Rem. 22-250's for chucks and sage rats.- Sheister

Posts: 385 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Chesters is out on Long Island. he's the 40x guy in that neck of the woods. Nice little shop and lots of Remingtons. i got the best deal of my life on 340 Wby ammo there, one time. I guess it's not a popular caliber there, LOL. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<sure-shot>
posted
Here it is: Chesters Hunting & Fishing
1075 Portion Rd
Farmingville, NY 11738
516-696-3800

I've bought several new 700 actions from them, both ADL & BDL types.

Now for the posters who are bashing Pac-Nor barrels: YOU DON'T KNOW JACKSHIT ABOUT GOOD BARRELS AND HOW TO MAKE A RIFLE SHOOT!!!PERIOD. YOUR POSTINGS ARE A TRIBUTE TO YOUR IGNORANCE ON THE SUBJECT!! sure-shot

one of us
posted Hide Post
mwsmith,

Check out Mike's Shooting Supply for Remington 700 actions.

www.mikesshooting.com

Posts: 530 | Location: Kulpmont, PA | Registered: 31 December 2000Reply With Quote
<k wood>
posted
I buy Rem 700 BDL's at pawn shops for about $259-$289 depending on the condition. I usually get the most beat up one I can find. Don't know what the market is like in Texas.

<mwsmith>
posted
Cool! I've got some good info and touched off a bit of contraversy all in one post! I'm going to be making some calls. Thanks for the tips guys.

Now for the other interesting point that was brought up -- bullet type. I'm looking for an accurate shooter with 'red mist' capability out to say 250 - 300 yds at the high end. I expect most of my shooting will be from 150-200 yds. What should I be looking for?

Michael

one of us
posted Hide Post
The majority of guys like to push 50-55 grain ballistic tips and V-max bullets for red-mist results and serious chunk hurling, but I've found the 40 grain B-tips to be great out of my 22-250 at 4180 fps. At the ranges you're planning on shooting, any of them will do great. Just try them all until one shoots best and lay in a BIG supply!- Sheister

Posts: 385 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Michael,

I have a Remington M40XB in .308 Win that I took in trade. The barrel is original, but has been cut to about 20" and turned down. It definitely is a candidate for a project, but I am into DGRs now.

jim dodd

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote