New
Find
Notify
Tools

Purchasing help-1909 Argentine
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A close friend, who is a gun dealer, took an Argentine in trade. It has a CM barrel in#4 taper, Timney trigger, and looks to have a lot of receiver work done. It is very smooth to operate. Some feed rail work has been done. It is in 284. The custom wood looks good and the bedding looks great. The bolt has been worked on. I can take pics tomorrow. The barrel channel has been full lengthed glassed. Is it worth checking out further at $500. I am not a Mauser person and don't know what to look for. Any help would be appreciated. Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It won't be a steal at that amount, but might be worth it. Does it look like the work was done by a professional or by Bubba?

some questions I would have:

Is it drilled and tapped (and are they done well if so, and do they fit the bases they holes were setup for)?

Has the safety been changed for scope use?

Has the bolt handle been redone/replaced? (if replaced look carefully at the root to see how it was welded. A good weld (tig Ideally) job should look smooth and clean, anything with pitting or other "dirty weld" signs should be redone)

What brand is the barrel if you can tell.

Say you figure 150 for a good specimen in the military condition (some guys here have sources and I think get them less, lucky sob's). then 150 minimum for a good barrel, the timney, and a wood stock. I don't think there's a way to keep it under 500.

But make sure it feeds and ejects without hiccups!

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It looks as if the bolt handle has been replaced. I was told that it had a Buehler safety. I think the barrel is a Shilen. The stock work looks good, black wood grip cap and tip. Checkering looks OK. It is cock on closing. Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Dago,
I aint seen a cleaned up 1909 for 150 lately... VZs, sure, but not 1909s.. i've seen just the bottom metal for for 100 or more.

Butch,
if the gun looks nice, and you want a 284, get it with a group size warrenty. say 1" or better.

Beuhler safeties or thumb cutting SOBS btw, and barely worth the 18 bucks midway used to get for them.

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
My 1909's cock on opening.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All of my 1909s cock on opening. If the one you are looking at cocks on closing, then it is not a 1909.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Is this 1909 a DWM or Argentine made?

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
We need close up pics.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just called my buddy and he said it was cock on opening. I will take the scope mounts off tomorrow and check it further. What else do I need to look for? Do Mausers have different types of floorplates and what am I looking for there? Butch

one of us
posted Hide Post
The .284 has a rebated rim and takes a bit of skill to get the rails just right. Make sure in feeds smoothly from both sides, with the CRF feature tuned properly.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Butch,
the bottom metal should have an "in the bow" release.. which means there a thingamagiie inside the trigger guard releases the floorplate.. kinda like a ruger.

"thingamagiie " is payback for the lions!!

heh
jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
The 1909 I got from M1tanker, cocks on closing, he told me these were made in very limited numbers. Mine also does not have the third locking lug another thing making this 1909 kind of rare again according to M1. I just recently had a shilen barrel screwed on it and had it chambered for a 7mm Gibbs. It should be a good shooter.

Handmade paracord rifle slings: paracordcraftsbypatricia@gmail.com

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post

Are you serious about all this? Confused Confused Confused

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never heard of a 1909 that cocks on closing or didn't have a third lug. That doesn't sound like a 98 I have ever seen. It sounds like an older small ring.

Posts: 1238 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is no way M1Tanker would pull that kind of B.S.

Something smells funny. bull

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
thumbdown Close up pics please.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 323:
The 1909 I got from M1tanker, cocks on closing, he told me these were made in very limited numbers. Mine also does not have the third locking lug another thing making this 1909 kind of rare again according to M1. I just recently had a shilen barrel screwed on it and had it chambered for a 7mm Gibbs. It should be a good shooter.

You forgot to include that is has the safety like the 1917 Enfield. How could you leave out an important detail like that.

By the way that home canned salmon you brought me was great.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Stratton, it is a DWM receiver. I will have pictures to e-mail for somebody to post for me in a couple hours. I am told that it does not have the right floorplate as it does not hinge. It also has erosion on the bolt face from leaky primers I think. Butch

one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M1Tanker:
quote:

You forgot to include that is has the safety like the 1917 Enfield. How could you leave out an important detail like that.

M1 is trying to be funny now, I'm beggining to think this rifle will no tbe safe to shoot in the current chambering???? I traded M1 a Ithaca 1911 A1 U.S. Army 45 ACP for this action he said they were comparable in price and I was looking for a good action to build a custom rifle on. Now I'm beginning to wonder.

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Methinks it could be a reworked 1891. I´d be very careful about that gun and had a competent gunsmith check it before firing a hot number like the 284 or other non military cartridge.
All 1909´s I´ve seen cock on opening.

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Nainital, it is a cock on opening. I e-mailed some photos to some of the Bubbas. Maybe they can post some of them for me. Butch

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm glad it's a DWM, sometime the Argentine's are a little rough. They didn't polish the receivers as well there are tool marks.

The 1909 is just a shorter 1898, they scaled it down for the 7.65x54 cartridge.

It's not uncommon to see a 1909 without the hinged bottom metal. Someone got to built another rifle and wanted to class it up a little. Without the hinged floorplate and bottom metal it's over all worth is much less.

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

M1 is trying to be funny now, I'm beggining to think this rifle will no tbe safe to shoot in the current chambering???? I traded M1 a Ithaca 1911 A1 U.S. Army 45 ACP for this action he said they were comparable in price and I was looking for a good action to build a custom rifle on. Now I'm beginning to wonder.

You told me that was the rarest of the 1911's. I figured a half breed "custom" 1909 with Springfield 1903 bolt was a heck of a trade.

William Berger

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nainital:
Methinks it could be a reworked 1891. I´d be very careful about that gun and had a competent gunsmith check it before firing a hot number like the 284 or other non military cartridge.
All 1909´s I´ve seen cock on opening.

You can rest assured 323's is an actual 100% normal 1909. This AZ sun and heat have gotten to him and he is hallucinating again.

William Berger

one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

You told me that was the rarest of the 1911's. I figured a half breed "custom" 1909 with Springfield 1903 bolt was a heck of a trade.

M1 is trying ot make jokes but I'm serious! Well I'm heading to the range to shoot this rifle. Hopefully it shoots good wish me the best of luck!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
M1 and 323, don't we have PM for your laundry? I'm trying to find out about a rifle that I'm thinking about buying. Butch

one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
Butch,

Sorry about that I was just giving M1 a hard time just to let you guys know it was a very nice 1909 I got from M1. I think it is going to make a very nice 7mm Gibbs. I just need to get it blued and put a trigger and safety on it. Far as wood I will probably put a Boyds Laminate on it.

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
M1 and 323, don't we have PM for your laundry? I'm trying to find out about a rifle that I'm thinking about buying. Butch

Butch,
My apologies also. We were having some at the expense of others who took us seriously.

It sounds like the 1909 you found would be a great rifle. The 2 biggest issues that would be red flags to me are the pitting on the bolt face and not having the 1909 hinged bottom metal. I am looking forward to seeing the pics.

William Berger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Apologies accepted. I didn't know you were ragging each other as I am still new here. I went ahead and bought the gun for $475. Believe it or not I have the correct hinged floorplate in my junk drawer. It came out of the same mess that I found a mauser bolt to give DagoRed. I didn't know for a long time what it was for.I have a lot of other parts that I will try to identify as time goes on. Butch