New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock Length
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am trying to determine if I have a gun that will fit a young PH in CAR. His only length of pull is from a double rifle and is 15". Is there a rule of thumb about the conversion from a double rifle to a bolt action? Example: If a double rifle fits you perfectly then the same length of pull will be 1" long on a bolt. Any help would be appreciated. I am not worried about cast off, drop at comb or heel. Please just stick to lop. MMP

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Mike,
is that 15" to the front trigger, back, or split? a little long is always better than short, as one can usually just swap recoil pads and get a great fit!

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
My own rule of thumb (because it's what works for me) is the LOP on a bolt rifle should be 1" shorter than the LOP on a SXS or OU rifle or shotgun.

I like 14 or 14-1/4" on a bolt rifle and 15" on a shotgun.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
My own rule of thumb (because it's what works for me) is the LOP on a bolt rifle should be 1" shorter than the LOP on a SXS or OU rifle or shotgun.

I like 14 or 14-1/4" on a bolt rifle and 15" on a shotgun.

I've found this to be true as well. tu2

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
My own rule of thumb (because it's what works for me) is the LOP on a bolt rifle should be 1" shorter than the LOP on a SXS or OU rifle

+2

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

Double rifles make Africa safe enough for bolt guns!

Posts: 495 | Location: Gillette,Wyoming | Registered: 16 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My experience is the same as the others. I had an SO grade 5 Beretta shotgun fitted and it was just over 15". When Duane fit me in his shop for my first of his rifles it was just over 14". I just wasn't sure it it was an accurate rule or estimate for everyone. Thanks for the info. MMP