THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reshaping Ruger #1 Safety for better ejection?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted
I was thinking of doing this because the cases eject, then nearly bounce back into the chamber. Kinda just bevel it on the front end. Yeah, yeah, I know I can send it out and wait months for a recessed safety to be installed. Whaddya think??

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a #1 in 270 Win that did the same thing. You would think after all these years of production, Ruger would have fixed the design.

I took the rifle apart and carefully filed down the front portion of the safety slide. When I had it right, I polished the metal smooth and touched ut up with cold blue. It worked great.

The only problem I had was finding the correct socket size for the buttstock bolt. Unfortunately, I can't remember the size. Maybe someone else on the forum can help.

I'm no gunsmith and I think anyone who takes care can do this job.

Posts: 407 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Multi Vis>
posted
That should work fine, I read an article years ago about doing that very thing and the guy trimmed off the flat on the front side of the safety so that it didnt stick up into the loading raceway when the safety was off and then beveled the button itself. Said cases flew clean of the action every time after the mods.:::MV

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I have done the same my (2) #1's. Shorten it a bit & reshape. You-re right though, a the recessed safetys look great!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have heard (and believe) that this is something Ruger designed this way on purpose. With the smaller cartridges, they are supposed to eject, hit the safety button, and roll off to the side.
I have wondered if Ruger did this to prevent cases flying back into the shooters face if ejected while the rifle is still in the shouldered shooting position. After all, companies must be worried about covering their butts!

Posts: 2851 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I once saw a No. 1 that had had the safety inletted into a mortise in the top of the tang, with only a small part of the safety projecting. Worked great, but was part of an extensive (expensive!!) customization job.

------------------
Larry

<Sooner>
posted
I have heard that the safety on the #1 is designed to contact the shell on the way out. Theory being that with the rifle shouldered a shell would be ejected and hit the safety which would deflect it away from the shooters eye. So I would be careful how much metal I removed, it might just stick ya in the eye.

Sooner

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eldeguello:
I once saw a No. 1 that had had the safety inletted into a mortise in the top of the tang, with only a small part of the safety projecting. Worked great, but was part of an extensive (expensive!!) customization job.

May have been one of the Bowen customs. They recommend the mod and it is really quite attractive. I believe the modification runs about $500 so it is a bit pricey. Given the diametre of the .577, it may be necessary for reliable extraction although there is enough room lengthwise for the case to clear.

~Holmes

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
<hd352802>
posted
4x4,I had the same problem on my .458,filed the front of the safety to short...,so it leaves a hole now,but ejection is fine.
Hugh.

one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
I did it a few days ago and it works VERY well! I'm not worried about getting hit in the eye because the gun will be on its way down as I eject/load it. I can't do it while holding the gun in the shooting position anyways. Thanks for all the advice!!!!

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mauser98:
<snip>
The only problem I had was finding the correct socket size for the buttstock bolt. Unfortunately, I can't remember the size. Maybe someone else on the forum can help.

IIRC it is a 7/16" thin wall socket...jim dodd

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote