New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which grease for box trigger mechanism?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I took apart my Sauer 202 box trigger and it was full of this sticky grease inside, it was eveywhere. There are alot of moving parts to it, so now that I finshed polishing the parts I want to know what is the best grease to put in there, and should I put as much as the manufacturer put in there? Or should I use something else? I will be hunting in temperatures fron 5 to -25 degrees so i would be looking for a grease that will not seize up in cold temps. What is the best method for doing this?
Thanks
Elmer

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Put down the grease gun and slowly back away... Big Grin

Grease has no business in an enclosed trigger mechanism for obvious reasons. You would be much better off using nothing than to use grease or oil in these. I prefer Dri-slide, but any graphite type lube, where the carrier evaporates, would work great under these conditions.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Westpac, I was hoping that was the answer but I rarely see a Sauer...unless it's a grape. lol

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jewell recommends washing the triggers out with lighter fluid to keep them clean and it leaves a very light protecting film on the parts.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwight:
Jewell recommends washing the triggers out with lighter fluid to keep them clean and it leaves a very light protecting film on the parts.

SmilerDwight,
I don't doubt what you say. But there isn't anything in lighter fluid (that I'm aware of) that remains after it evaporates.

A chemist told me (long ago) that VM&P Naptha was lighter fluid. That's what I've used in my Zippos for the last 30 years.

This would probably work if a Lube of some sort is mixed in and left behind when it flashes off (evaporates).

Posts: 220 | Location: SW Missouri USA | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No grease. Leave it dry for cold temps, or a little spray Rem oil at the very most.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Elmer, Grease in the Trigger. That sure brings back some long ago memories. Back in the "old days" when even I was a youngster.

Realized the Grease of that "Eon" would freeze and create an overly SAFE(non-firing) firing mechanism. boohoo W-a-y pre-synthetic lubes.

Went to oil. shame and rotflmo on the Rookie(aka me).

Next along the trail was "Coal Oil" which did right well. Then Kerosene, Diesel Fuel and good old JP-5. Slosh them around, let them soak and crud will wash away. Set them out and let them dry if they are the M70 or old M77 "open style". If enclosed, a shot of "mild"(low pressure) air to remove the excess and then let them set in the sun. Smell wears off in a month or so. clap

That has worked right well for me - unless - you are planning to attend a Benchrest Match. Any "Lube" getting onto the Sear Surfaces has the potential to cause a slight change in the Trigger as the Lube wears away.

Haven't tried the Dri-slide that Westpac mentioned and I'd suspect he has tried all the ones I mentioned. So go with his advice and scratch all the ones I tried off the list - especially the Grease.

I do use Grease on other parts though.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote