New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inletting black
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Brownells has discontinued their inletting black. I’ve always used it but surely there is an alternative. I don’t like Prussian blue as it stains more. Any suggestions? Sources?

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2169 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That is actually bad news; everything else, including the home made concoctions, is inferior. I used to use soot; requires a candle or lamp.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Yeah, ya don't need inletting black on AR's!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Track of the wolf and log cabin shop have Jerrows. I’m good.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2169 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yur can also get it from Fred Zeglin, 4_D reamer rental

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mix 50:50 by volume of black artist's oil color and petroleum jelly. Use yellow ocher in place of black for darker woods/synthetics. Remove residue with naptha or lighter fluid.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I use lamp black mixed ver thick with WD40. I let it dry into a solid, a lot like shoe polish, and a parts cleaner brush cut short and stiff. Never used anything else.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Many years ago I started out using inletting black. In stock making school I learned to use prussian blue. You apply it with a fine bristle tooth brush very thin. It is more accurate and makes very little mess. If you have trouble removing it you are lathering it on too thick. One tube lasts for a long time. Too much of any type will make false impressions.

Craftsman

Posts: 1545 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well,
Sometimes I use a small kerosene lamp that allows me to adjust the wick and soot the metal. But, lately, I have been using black lipstick from Dollar General. Its cheap enough and cleans up pretty well. I think the tube was $2 and I did a couple of rifles with it.

Posts: 1332 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
treebone carving might have some

Posts: 1094 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Magnum Hunter1:
Well,
Sometimes I use a small kerosene lamp that allows me to adjust the wick and soot the metal. But, lately, I have been using black lipstick from Dollar General. Its cheap enough and cleans up pretty well. I think the tube was $2 and I did a couple of rifles with it.

Thank goodness for Goth girls.... and boys. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Regular paper masking tape burns with a lot of soot. I roll up a piece, light it, and wave it under the part. Flat black in a couple seconds and less cumbersome than a candle or lamp. This also works well for checking case fits, rifling engagement on bullets, etc.

Sometimes black sharpie will do what you need.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Any gear marking compound will work.

Phil

Posts: 1468 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get a Zippo cig. lighter and use lots of lighter fluid. After a couple of smoking the parts just use a small amount of light machine oil to a brush and this will mark the parts several times before you will need to smoke the parts again.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
dude ...

buy cheap black lipstick at ANY department or drug store ... if it's too thick, melt it, at petroleum jelly, and put into a jar ...

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know about the rest of you ****'s but walking into a drug store I'd be buying some shoe polish before browsing the women's section for the proper shade of Lipstick.

Phil

Posts: 1468 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Phil,
sure enough, i get your point - doesn't bother me, in the least, to go pick up some black lipstick .. i can see where it could be socially awkward ..but, frankly, well, heck, you brought it up .. I just don't 'care' about things like this .. doesn't occur to me to be bothered.

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used Prussian Blue for about 45 years.

Still have the little bottle I got from Herters years and years ago.

When I get low I go to the Auto parts store and get a new tube of it and refill my bottle.

I keep one of the long handled Q tips from Brownells beside the bottle. And use the saturated Q tip to wipe a thin coating of the Prussian Blue on the metal

Just my 2 cents.

Jim Wisner

Posts: 1473 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
I use lamp black mixed ver thick with WD40. I let it dry into a solid, a lot like shoe polish, and a parts cleaner brush cut short and stiff. Never used anything else.

Same as I've used for years...Haven't found any better

Posts: 3610 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I recently bought some Jerrow's inletting black from Track of the Wolf.The container caps are marked:Not to be sold or possessed in Ca.Must be really dangerous stuff.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by KenT7021:
I recently bought some Jerrow's inletting black from Track of the Wolf.The container caps are marked:Not to be sold or possessed in Ca.Must be really dangerous stuff.[/QUOTE

It's the aniline , I suspect...Not good stuff!

Posts: 3610 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most of it is full of lead, which requires labeling in California.

Phil

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Most legislators from Kalifornie have lead in their Glutes. And since that is the area from which their thoughts come, lead affects them greatly. Be Well, Packy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,
If you buy condoms with the black lip stick they won't look you in the eye,so all is clear!!

BTW. red lip stick works just as well and is easier to see...and you can tell them your lips are chapped..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote