New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock duplicating
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I wish to duplicate a rifle stock and have some questions. First, it is Mauser guild gun that I have done extensive mods:re-barreled, G&H QD Sidemount, Lyman rec.sight, Double-set triggers.In for a penny,in for a pound- the old stock, while servicable, needs replacing. (Iguess in the end it won't be the same gun I rescued from the dusty corner of a gun shop!!)Second, what can I reasonably expect in the way of accuracy in duplicating a stock from my old stock as a pattern? ie: I don't want to spend 2 weeks inletting a "99% inletted" stock. Third, any reccomendations for an outfit that'll do it? Thanks!

Posts: 332 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
you need to get in with one of the high end duplicators, rather than someone like, well, me... you statement of "I don't want to spend 2 weeks inletting" leads me to believe that you might be better off sending the whole shooting match to someone to have it done, after all, it will need to be checkered as well.

you get what you pay for, generally, and the closer to DONE the higher the rates, universally... that is, if you want to avoid 2 weeks of inletting, don't be suprised that the duplication costs more (time IS money)

www.riflestocks.com will take that work, though I am not suggesting them.

There's several duplicators and stock men on this forum

to let you know price range, from you'll spend a LONG time inletting to you have a show piece

100 to 3500 bucks... seriously.

think more along the lines of 500 for a turned and inletted stock... and that's unfinished, unbedded, and definately uncheckered...

The time involved with making the gun perfect HAS to either be spent or be bought

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff is pretty much "right on". You can get a "one to one" duplication of your pattern for around $275 and up, but your pattern's inletting needs to be perfect. That means fully (and properly) glass-bedded full length. I would recommend someone with either a Dakota or Hoenig duplicator. Guys using the Hoenig machine usually charge a little more than those with the Dakota, but not always. Even the best machined inletting will require some handwork to complete, though. It's really tough for that router bit to make a square-bottomed recess. Send me a PM, and I'll give you a couple of names. Of course, the cost of the new wood is not included in the price. Razzer

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
www.riflestocks.com

This looks like an AK-AR site. They do stock work?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Noahhh,
I've got a Hoenig and a
Don Allen, my prices are within the range mentioned above if your interested give me a call and we'll discuss it. 208-547-0383. I'd give you my cell phone but it's about 20 feet down in a lava rock crevice. Weekend cottontail safari with my boys went bad, although the hunting was great.

Thanks,
Shane Thompson

Posts: 125 | Location: Soda Springs, ID 83276 | Registered: 25 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shane

Have we seen some of your work in Gun Digest before??

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by idgnmkr:
Noahhh,
I've got a Hoenig and a
Don Allen, my prices are within the range mentioned above if your interested give me a call and we'll discuss it. 208-547-0383. I'd give you my cell phone but it's about 20 feet down in a lava rock crevice. Weekend cottontail safari with my boys went bad, although the hunting was great.

Thanks,
Shane Thompson

And while we're asking, do you have or have access to a pattern for Winchester Model 52 Sporter that uses Blackburn's bottom metal?

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shane, I finally entered your cell number into my phone and now you go and loose it. I am sure that it was lost during a cottontail charge. Thank God you had enough gun.
Take Care, Michael

22WRF, Yes you have.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Noahhh,
I've got a Hoenig and a

Thanks,
Shane Thompson

Hi Shane,
How bad does the Hoenig duplicator tear up the pattern stock? Also, if I send you a fiberglass stock, can you use it as a pattern?

I'll send you a PM or give you a phone call, but I thought this information might be of general interest.

Thanks,
lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
triggertate,
I have a 52 win pattern but I don't think it's Blackburn bottom metal. Call me and we can discuss some options. I am at work right now so I can't say for sure but I may have two of them in which case one could be easily altered.

Thanks,
Shane Thompson

Posts: 125 | Location: Soda Springs, ID 83276 | Registered: 25 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Don't call for a few days you'll wake up the bunnies!

Lawndart,
Neither machine tears up the pattern stock the stylus is polished mirror smooth. I've had great success with not damaging origianl pattern stocks. That being said it's a guarantee I can't make. Normally you can expect some minor scratching primarily from a small wood chip hanging up between the stylus and the stock. These normally can be removed with a little light work with steel wool. The stock can also be taped, again though with no guarantees. Fiberglass can be used for a pattern especially the better makes because they are stiffer. The injection molded plastic stocks tend to bow and flex. Both types should be properly glass bedded for use as a pattern since the inlettin is normally very liberal especially through the trigger area and area behing the magbox. Just as well leave all the wood you can in these areas for strength.

Shane Thompson