New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lefties at SHOT Show???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am not sure if it is over already or just coming up. I am inquiring if any Left-handed people have/are going to the SHOT Show. I am interested in new products, that are generally not covered in the "New Gear" sections of the gun rag's. Any new updates on lefthanded guns for 2002 would be appreciated.

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Indiana Tone>
posted
I believe I saw advertised lefthanded mauser actioned rifles in lefthand short and long action. At the moment I don't recall who is bringing them in,i will try and find the ad and post later. I do recall the short action is supposed to be in .223 and the long actions in .270,30-06 and 7mmMag.I think they are reintroductions of the "Mark X" actions of a few years ago.

posted Hide Post
IndianaTone,
Those are the Yugoslav-built Zastava actions, imported by Charles Daly.

The Montana Rifleman claims that they will be producing a left-hand CRF action 'shortly'.

Winchester (USRAC) keeps promising to produce their excellent Model 70 in LH again 'soon'.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Indiana Tone>
posted
Correct GeorgeS, I think I may have jumped the gun on including the 270 and 7mmMag in there all I have been able to findout about available cals in lefthand are the .223 and 30-06. The .223 really got me excited I just wish someone would offer a affordable magnum mauser action in lefthand,I know I could find a cozy spot in the gun safe for a 505 Gibbs. The actions from the Montana Rifleman could be another bright spot for us lefties. Already own a couple of the lefty Mod70s and am looking to add a few more to my battery. Things just might be on upswing for us lefthanders.

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I've contacted the distributor RSR about the "Charles Daly" rifles. They have listing and prices for the LH .223 rifle (blued steel/wood stock), but didn't have any in stock yet. Brownell's lists the RH actions on their website (but nothing mentioned about the LH actions yet). This .223 Mini Mauser action is a push feed with a Sako-like extractor. The Charles Daly catalog lists the LH rifle (blued steel & wood stock) only in 30-06.

Perhaps if we let the importer and distributors know there is a market for more LH offerings it will increase the chance of it happening.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Indiana,
Jim Dodd (HunterJim) is trying to get some LH actions from MontanaRifleman but hasn't received any word on delivery dates.

Hi Matt,
Claude Gatewood (CWG on this forum) had a lead on some .223 mini-Mausers but is still awaiting delivery.

Did you give your son that .338 yet, or is he still on deployment?

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw the picture of the Charles Daly in the G+A last month. I didn't know if the picture was backwards or not. I unfortunately dumped my FFL 6 months ago, and without it am kind of out of the loop on lefties. Why all the rage about Mauser type actions?

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Jesse,
Controlled-round feed is the reason. While it is unnecessary in a .223, someone who wanted to build a dangerous game rifle might want the feeding reliability of a Mauser-type action.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!