THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Question: Where to get a Dakota Style safety for a CZ550

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question: Where to get a Dakota Style safety for a CZ550
 Login/Join

posted
Hello to everybody. Does anybody knows where i can get a dakota Style Safety for a CZ550? I am from germany and here you won't get such a safety. Hope you understand my english, whats not so good. I need a shop who can send the safety to germany. And if someone knows the price it would be wonderfull.
Tahnks a lot
Florian

Posts: 30 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here you go:

http://www.edlapourgunsmithing.com/index.html

Look under products>>3 position safeties >> CZ550

Also, look under the "Silver lining Scholarship Rifle Thread".

Posts: 161 | Location: Mississippi USA | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Florian,
it is better to call that a winchester style 3 position safety... as dakota copied the model 70's to get thier's.

jim wisner also makes these

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DON'T get one from AHR! I have fit many brands of 3 position safeties, and that was the biggest piece of garbage by far!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bought one for a customer when it was the only game in town. They can be made to work, but you will eat up a lot of bench time and profanity

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marc_Stokeld:
DON'T get one from AHR! I have fit many brands of 3 position safeties, and that was the biggest piece of garbage by far!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bought one for a customer when it was the only game in town. They can be made to work, but you will eat up a lot of bench time and profanity

who is AHR

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
american hunting rifles...

and, while ed lapour makes a nice safety, there's alot of benchtime fitting those

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one of Ed’s Mauser safeties that I am using on a VZ24 and have one of his 1903 Springfield safeties on order. He makes a great product and you cannot ask for a nicer and more accommodating guy to do business with.

It is literally impossible to make a “drop-in†safety for Mauser’s that will fit every bolt out there without some amount of bench work. I have about 15 Mauser bolts sitting out in my shop and every single one of them is slightly different in the size of the threaded area where the safety shroud screws in. Those buttress threads are not real forgiving when it somes to a slight mismatch in size and/or angle.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yes, every bolt is different, even modern Remingtons. All 3 position safeties require work. But none were anywhere near the AHR, and they even had to replace the original lever and detent pin to get it to work. I lost the other detent (the one that locks the cocking piece when the bolt is retracted) during rust bluing and called AHR for a replacement. It took them several minutes of detailed discussions to get them to the point where they "thought" they knew the part I was needeing. Then they said the detents were finely fit pieces of the safety and I would have to send it back so they could custom fit the detent to the shroud.

I politely said "thanks" and then proceeded to make one on the lathe the next day.

People here like to bash Gentry safeties. I have put a few on M700's (the only stainless game in town that I know of for this rifle), and yes, a couple were real bears. But I would literally rather do half a dozen Gentry's than one AHR safety.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Just throwing in my two cents on the fitting of these 3 position safeties. I bought a Dakota for a 98 Mauser and spent a lot of time fitting it. At first the threads wouldn't allow me to screw it on easily and later I couldn't close the bolt. Ended up doing a lot of filing, lapping and sweating (swearing) until I got it to fit. It works perfectly now and I would use another Dakota, knowing what I know now.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote