Find
Notify
Tools

Upper Cartridge limit for Steel buttplates
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted
I know this is something that varies from one person to another....... My 338-06 has a steel butt plate and isn't a issue. I'm contemplating one on my 9.3x62. I've never fired this cartridge. Where do most draw the line?

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
If the 338 doesn't bother you, the 9.3 probably won't either at factory pressures for the heavy bullets. The Norma 232 stuff is alot snappier and may not be as comfortable. I have a 9.3 I shoot in both the carbine and rifle versions of the Rem 30. The carbine has a curved steel plate that hurts while the rifle butt (steel too) doesn't.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dempsey:
I know this is something that varies from one person to another....... My 338-06 has a steel butt plate and isn't a issue. I'm contemplating one on my 9.3x62. I've never fired this cartridge. Where do most draw the line?

I've shot 375 H&H's and 458's with steel butt plates with very little discomfort. The only time it gets painful is when I get lax and forget what I am doing. If you know how to lock yourself into the rifle correctly, it won't slap you. Unless you have a physical impairment, the recoil of a 9.3x62 should be a breeze

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your question is a good one, but not as simple as just the recoil in ft lbs. Another big factor is drop of the stock - older European style stocks with lots of drop at the heel and a resulting angled buttplate can really dig into your shoulder.

FWIW, I have shot my Mauser 9.3 x 62 with that type of stock, sans recoil pad, and did not find it unbearable although the sharp square edges of the wood made their presence known. With a rounded buttplate you probably wouldn't notice them.

Todd

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Come to think of it, the steel buttplate rifle I find most uncomfortable is my Mexican Mauser carbine with 16" barrel. I don't think it is actually the recoil but the muzzle blast that makes you jump, so you end up noticing the recoil.

Perhaps barrel length and muzzle blast could factor in too...

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMG:
Your question is a good one, but not as simple as just the recoil in ft lbs. Another big factor is drop of the stock - older European style stocks with lots of drop at the heel and a resulting angled buttplate can really dig into your shoulder.

Yes, good point. The gun needs to fit the shooter. Minimum drop and the right amount of pitch is essential for maximum comfort when shooting guns with steel butt plates.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I find pitch to be far more important than drop.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
To me it also depends on the use of the gun. A heavy kicker that is used for hunting and only shot a few times a season is a lot different than a gun shot 50 times off the bench. IMHO, when you're actually hunting I don't really feel much recoil at all, compared to off the bench.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I can easily shoot a winchester 1886 in 45/70 with fairly hot loads with a steel buttplate. my 1895 in 30-40 and 30-06 are fine too. now a tc encore is a beater on me!

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi all,
My 35 Whelen has a steel butt plate and I don't find it objectionable. But as pointed out the drop is set for ME. Also the toe is pitched out away from my chest and into my shoulder socket. I like the look of wood and not so much rubber, so I tend to go with steel butplates. Westpac hit it on the head, "The gun needs to fit the shooter."
Below is a link to some pictures of my Whelen, and others, some with and some without steel.
Thanks, Doug

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3221043/m/942104608

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
My upper limit is my Model 63 Winchester. Big Grin
And I'm thinking of adding a Mercury recoil supressor to it.

Seriously, most people can stand 2 or 3 rounds from most anything.

Extended shooting from a bench is a totally different story.

I have a Mauser 98k that will rattle your teeth due to light weight and a slightly modified military stock.

Conversely a friend has a custom stocked .338 that is almost pleasant to shoot, well not pleasant but at least not punishing.

If you havent seen Saeeds "Heroes" video,they are very enlightening as to how bad recoil can really get.
Makes most any normal rifle look mild by comparison

Covey16

Funny,After a rotten war like this,how hard it is to leave- Duncan Grinell-Milne

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
A gun is just like a dog, and a woman too for that matter, if you act like you are afraid of it, it will bite! Big Grin

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Bad analogy, Malm. The only women that buy into it must be dogs on several levels. My guess is, women bite you just because they can. A grown-up woman meets you half-way.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
Bad analogy, Malm. The only women that buy into it must be dogs on several levels. My guess is, women bite you just because they can. A grown-up woman meets you half-way.

The little lady looking over your shoulder is she? Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Winchester pre-64 M-70 supergrade in 300 H&H and it has a steel butt plate. It isn't uncomfortable to shoot even with 200 grain loads, but if you aren't careful it sure can give you an ugly bruise.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. My blank isn't quite long enough for the LOP I need without a butt pad so it kinda settled it's self.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dempsey:

dempsey,

I left the steel butt plate on my Vz-24 when I rebarreled it to 9,3x62. Have shot it both on the bench and at game - Will probably replace it with a recoil pad!

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:

The little lady looking over your shoulder is she? Big Grin

Touchet!

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
...like with rifles and women..I don't mind a little nibbling now and then.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote