THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Could traditional claw mounts be mounted this way

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Could traditional claw mounts be mounted this way
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Came across Ziegler mount system, but they are not available to the US. Makes a lot of sense to switch the bases to all for larger objective scopes. Could traditional claw mounts be installed in such a way (backwards) to act as the Zieglers. Here is a link to their installation video. it is pretty slick how scopes can be switched. Thanks in advance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gP9M4Ka_V4

Posts: 296 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Seems pretty neat. I notice he didn't even need to close or remove the bolt to tip the scope back and off.

Posts: 5085 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Here is one reason not to do what you suggest. If you reverse the front and rear bases you will also reverse the direction that the latch mechanism works, IE, it will now release by moving Forward instead of the usual Backward.
What this will do is, release itself under recoil and your scope will fly back and conk you in the head.
Worse case.
Another consideration is that you would need blank bases to fit a receiver; notice that his were dovetailed for a rib.
OTOH, I might try it anyway.

Posts: 17274 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was a custom gunmaker posting on AR a while back that was doing reverse claw mounts.
Can't remember who he was but he said they work fine.

Posts: 640 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've a pretty solid background in claw mounts...and dpcd is right. This "backwards" system has been introduced and re introduced countless times over the last 40 years that I know of.

It most likely will hold up under lighter recoil, but being useful for dangerous game, the claw system comes into it own on heavy hitters.

The system is not cheap..might as well do it right in the first place

Posts: 3609 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, its been tried before, not good on big bores and I would feel comfortable on a 30-06..

Claws are the best mounting system IMO, but do it right..and I do like fitted bases of any mount system..As I see it, the dealer has one backwards and the other frontwards so they work against each other to maintain their integrity, maybe! ?????

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Irwin, who is in the video is a German trained gunsmith working with Alan Rhone here in the UK.

With the Zeigler mount, if fitted properly, you have a very strong mount with all the recoil forces taken on the front edge of rings. Remember that a scope moves forward under recoil.

The Latch is pulled rearward to unlock, so under recoil actually tightens.

If you were installing a traditional claw mount in the same way you would need to make sure that the latch is turnaround so that it opens to the rear.

Posts: 985 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The recoil should be taken up by closely fitting, robust hooks as in the original concept...the latch could be a strong rubber band. It's only function is alignment and to hold the scope against the foot.

Posts: 3609 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote