Find
Notify
Tools

Bearcoat DuPont Teflon-S " Satin Black
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted
Has anyone had experience with this coating and with this company? They describe the satin black coating as:
quote:
This Premium finish has a slight sheen to it and looks similar to blueing. Best suited for pistols and machineguns. Has a slight charcoal tint to it and is very similar to the original HK baked epoxy finish .

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
333, I have seen two styles done by bearcoat. one was a tiger striped camo job and one the solid black.
Both were 100% cool and very well done. The black finish looks almost to me like the old black chrome, very deep looking. Both finishes held up very well over the couple of years I was around these guns.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I am just curious. I am not looking for a synthetic finish that is a match to bluing, but one that does not look too much like plastic. The Les Baer pistol above looks pretty nice.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
333, not sure what your trying to say. Plastic look.
The black finish is going to be a very high gloss deep black finish. As I said same as a black chrome. Very rich looking and durable.
Is this a finish you are looking at for your custom project?

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a .45 pistol done by Wilson Combat and their finishes are exceptionally durable and really nice looking.

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/info_armor_tuff.htm

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:

Maybe? I often hunt in very wet conditions for 1-2 weeks at a time and keeping the rust down in the rifle can be a problem. I have heard a good rust blue works well, but I also was thinking strongly at what new technology has to offer. I am a traditionalist, but a few modern ideas in the rifle are okay.

Rick0311--I just looked at what Wilson has to offer too. They look similar, but what is it made of. The Bearcoat is Teflon, but the Wilson say ceramic right? The Wilson requires a military finish first for the ceramic to bond with...interesting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 333_OKH:
quote:

Maybe? I often hunt in very wet conditions for 1-2 weeks at a time and keeping the rust down in the rifle can be a problem. I have heard a good rust blue works well, but I also was thinking strongly at what new technology has to offer. I am a traditionalist, but a few modern ideas in the rifle are okay.

Rick0311--I just looked at what Wilson has to offer too. They look similar, but what is it made of. The Bearcoat is Teflon, but the Wilson say ceramic right? The Wilson requires a military finish first for the ceramic to bond with...interesting.

Wilson’s Armor-Tuff does indeed start with the weapon being blasted then parkerized.

All I can tell you from first hand experience with it on my pistol is that it is about the toughest finish I have ever seen. I also have several rifles coated with Robar’s Rogard finish and the Wilson finish is ALLOT tougher.

It all depends on what you are expecting things to look like and what types of protection and lubricity you’re looking for. Almost all of these new finishes include some type of built in lubricating properties, and so does Wilson’s.

Whether it is “better†than the other one you mentioned I have no idea since “better†is a subjective term that means different things to different people.

If you are worried about rust protection read Wilsons info. Their finish withstands and passes the tests that equate to being submersed for 1000 hours in salt water...and sprayed for 1000 hours with salt water. That’s probably a bit more than you will run into on most hunting trips! Smiler

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
It all depends on what you are expecting things to look like and what types of protection and lubricity you’re looking for. Almost all of these new finishes include some type of built in lubricating properties, and so does Wilson’s.

Whether it is “better†than the other one you mentioned I have no idea since “better†is a subjective term that means different things to different people.

If you are worried about rust protection read Wilsons info. Their finish withstands and passes the tests that equate to being submersed for 1000 hours in salt water...and sprayed for 1000 hours with salt water. That’s probably a bit more than you will run into on most hunting trips!

I guess it gets down to how protected one really needs to be. this rifle will be in a wood stock. Sorry guys, I tried to go composite on a 22-250 rifle and I hate it!

I will make sure the wood it treated to withstand as much water as possible, but more its the salt in the air on our ranch near the ocean that I hunt.

Who from these companies would you use?

Wilson Armor Tuff

Robar's Rogaurd/NP3

NIC Industries-Cerakote

Casidiam-Carbon Coating

Bearcoat-Industrial Teflon

Armoloy of Texas