Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 788: 6mm Rem to 243 Win Conversion
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of majestrate98
posted
I'm looking at a Remington model 788 that is in factory condition and chambered in 6mm Remington. Can that be converted to a 243 Win without replacing the barrel? i.e. Is there enough metal to work with to shorten it and reset the chamber?

Sneak close, aim small, hit hard!
** NRA Lifetime Member **

Posts: 35 | Location: Murray, UT | Registered: 06 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
for what earthly purpose would you want to do that? Big Grin the 6mm is a fine caliber in it's own right!

that said, i believe the barrel will have to be set back a considerable distance for the chamber to clean up. the shoulder of the .243 is fatter and further back than the 6mm.

so you have an abundance of .243 brass you want to use up?

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
You're looking at the difference between 51 m/m and 57 m/m (about .120") in case length so, it wouldn't be much more than that to set the barrel back, considering ther greater taper of the 6 m/m. I'm of the same opinion as 724wd, "what on earth would you want to do that for". I believe that you would get longer case life, considering good headspace and the neck of the 6 m/m is longer and better suited for handloading in that respect. Nothing wrong with the .243 as such but nothing at all wrong with the 6 m/m.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I have owned both. I prefer the 6mm. Only issue I had was the early ones had to slow a twist. Changing to 243 wouldn't cure that problem if it exists. Only advantage I see is 243 ammo is usually easier to find on the beaten path.

As MR said you should be able to set it back but your barrel will then nice gap down both sides. Unless I can't add the necks are the same dia. The 6mm shoulder neck starts at 1.882" the 243 at 1.808. so shouldn't about .08 setback cover it. Or more likely one turn?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of majestrate98
posted Hide Post
It's not that I want to, just may need to. I'm just playing with the idea right now. My daughter shoots left handed and I found a decent price on a 6mm gun for her. The problem is long term, not short term. I can reload for the gun, but when I'm gone 243 ammo will be more readily available for her to shoot. The other, more probable conclusion, is that I reload until either I or the barrel expire ... then it becomes a 243 Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
If the gun is in good condition you may be able to trade it up for a model 7 or 700 in the 243. I had a 788 in 6mm recently and they bring a few more dollars than most of the other calibers (excluding the 30-30 and 44).

Posts: 323 | Location: Northeastern, PA | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
It was pointed out to me by a more alert forum member that I was using "fuzzy math" when I made that calculation. The difference in case length is 6 m/m, not 3. You would have at least a 1/4" of setback on that barrel to accomplis a complete recutting of the 6 m/m chamber to .243.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
You would have at least a 1/4" of setback on that barrel to accomplis a complete recutting of the 6 m/m chamber to .243.

I agree the 6mm is 2.233 and the 243 is 2.045 or.188" shorter. Since the necks are the same dia why could you not get by just setting back far enough to clear the shoulder neck junction?

As to your daughter. Guess the question is how long will she shoot the same rifle? How many times a year? Most people will NEVER wear out a barrel. Yes 243 is easier to find than 6mm but most large stores carry both. I would leave well enough alone. Heck she might decide she wants a 7x57 in the future.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have chamber prints handy, but you'd need to set the barrel back further than the difference in lengths because the 6 mm has a longer neck. My guess is at least 0.25".

Clarence

Posts: 303 | Location: Hill Country, TX | Registered: 26 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
You're right as to the neck issue. I should have had another coffee

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by majestrate98:
It's not that I want to, just may need to. I'm just playing with the idea right now. My daughter shoots left handed and I found a decent price on a 6mm gun for her. The problem is long term, not short term. I can reload for the gun, but when I'm gone 243 ammo will be more readily available for her to shoot. The other, more probable conclusion, is that I reload until either I or the barrel expire ... then it becomes a 243 Smiler

If you want to raise your daughter in your footsteps, the proper way is to buy the gun then start looking for a 243 for her too! Explain the 243 "may" be easier to find ammo for somewhere down the road.

If you really want to change the chambering, instead of setting back I'd sell the barrel and buy a decent quality new barrel. That way you are adding value to the gun instead of setting back and re-marking the barrel which I'd be afraid of detracting from the price instead of adding to it. Or you could keep the barrel and switch them around on occasion should conditions warrant.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by majestrate98:

fishingDaughters can also be taught to reload. Keep it a 6mm! beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of majestrate98
posted Hide Post
Well, it's all for not. The guy selling it told me last Saturday morning that I couldn't pick it up until Monday morning - he wasn't available Saturday and didn't like to do any business on Sunday. I called him early to Monday pick up the gun and .... he told me he sold it Saturday because he had it "listed on Gunbroker and cut a deal with somebody in Ohio who wanted it more". Go figure.

A week later, I'm still stunned. It always amazes me that there is always at least one in every group that continues to surprise me with their lack of honesty and integrity.

Thanks for all the thoughts and advice! I think I'll just buy her a Rem 700 SPS Youth in 243 and spend the extra time teaching her to reload thumb

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
nice.. and i can't STAND the "we reserve the right to sell it locally" guys.. if the *BIDDER* is in an "irrevocable contract to buy" by placing a bid (it seems the guys bent on selling local too are quick to point it out) its a quid pro quo that the seller is ALSO bound to deliver it, once presented for sale.

generally i chuckle and move along, thinking out little those persons actually (rather than BELIEVE their own press releases) value their integrity.

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39696 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote