New
Find
Notify
Tools

stock repair
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
has anyone done any extensive repair on pieces missing from a stock with these modern epoxy fillers?

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I filled a hole in the side of a Eddystone Enfield stock with Acraglass and 3M™ Scotch-Weld™ Epoxy Adhesive DP460 worked great. We painted the stock after the fact but it's been two years and holding strong.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
im looking to repair a couple missing pieces in a english walnut stock and come as close as possible to the original colors.

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
could you insert a chunk of english walnut maybe??
The other thing is where is the missing piece and how large is it?

Other then that if it's in a non critical area I'd say it's up to dyeing it the correct color and maybe streaking in some darker dye to make it look like wood grain.

The resins we have today are very strong and with a wee bit of reinforcement they can be very tough and not brittle at all.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the wood is missing in the front part of the back lock they are broken out but the bottom of the wood is still there they are about the size of your small finger nail i think they can easily be repaired by someone knowing what they are doing im willing to give it a go if i have good advice. i would have it done but the costs of what appears to be a simple approach makes it prohibitive. any help would be truly appreciated.

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Box lock or side lock action?? Sounds like a double?? A picture would help. I'm just concerned it's in the wrist and the crack may extend further back. If it's just an area where the wood flaked off (for lack of a better term) it may be an easy repair. But I'm still concerned because on a properly laid out stock wood should not just flake away.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
its a back action sxs shotgun the missing pieces are font of lock. it doesnt affect the strenth of the stock it is purely cosmetic. any help or suggestions. regards

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Personally I'd try to fit a piece of wood that as closely as possible matches the grain and color of the wood. If that's not possible you could try some resin but what will happen in the color match process is you will blend one color. it needs to have some sort of grain texture added to it to match the wood.

Obviously you will need to remove the lock and any other parts that may be inadvertently glued in place. Create some dams to prevent the flow of the resin into undesired areas. You can use masking tape or wax for this modeling clay can help to.

You are going to have to mix a few different batches of resin and mix a couple shades of brown and once you have filled in the void take a fine paint brush and dab in some darker resin to match the grain flow. It won't be perfect but it will look better then a plain brown patch

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
can you recommend a resin or epoxy?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take this for what it's worth, but if you fill it with epoxy it will always look like a cheap repair. If it's a cheap gun fine, but if it's worth fixing you should glue in a piece of English walnut and fix it correctly. If the repair is done well people will be hard pressed to see that a repair has been done to the stock, but if you fill it with epoxy it will stand out like a sore thumb I don't care how you color it.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 828 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Make the fitting of the repair piece very good and use a wood glue such as Tightbond and the seem will be much harder to see.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
clowdis:i see your handy to me in n.c. anyone in the area that does this repair?

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clowdis:
Take this for what it's worth, but if you fill it with epoxy it will always look like a cheap repair. If it's a cheap gun fine, but if it's worth fixing you should glue in a piece of English walnut and fix it correctly. If the repair is done well people will be hard pressed to see that a repair has been done to the stock, but if you fill it with epoxy it will stand out like a sore thumb I don't care how you color it.

I guess I should have been more blunt But I agree here. No matter how well you try an epoxy patch is just that.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
kcstott: you were blunt enough and im taking your advice and having it done the proper way im looking for someone in the no. carolina area to replace the wood if not ill ship it out. any recommendations? thank you, best regards

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by usps:
clowdis:i see your handy to me in n.c. anyone in the area that does this repair?

If you're anywhere near Randleman bring it by the shop and we'll have a go at fixing it correctly. I'll do it or I'll help you do it and I have walnut scraps we can use. PM me through the forum and I'll give you the phone # and address.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 828 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
looks like Clowdis has you covered. I personly wouldn't know who to recommend out that way. I do 99% of my own work but give the real stock making stuff to a local master

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
kcstott: i appreciate your input thank you very much. best regards bob