New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why?
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
I was trying to shoot a Robler Titan 6 rifle.

Then found that I had to modify my backrest to fit it.

That got me thinking, why?

Why do designers design such utterly stupid stock. which have absolutely no reason for.

This rifle has a cut out at the bottom of the stock, behind the pistol grip.

This cut out goes all the way back, and only stops before the but stock.

No logical reason for it whatsoever.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68645 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I think (key word) that 'cut' you described behind the pistol grip is to fit a sandbag/rest. I recall my son talking about such a design as a 'battle axe' style. I have no idea if that's the correct terminology. I have one such stock on a varmint rifle and can't see any advantage to it one way or the other. And I too have to issues with stocks that don't put me in proper position for the scope.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The thing is one has to modify his rest to shoot these things.

I am all for improving things, but frankly cannot see any use for this at all.

The Austrians and Germans have a knack of designing utterly useless things!

Posts: 68645 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think what are describing is a "butt hook" made for shooting prone off a bipod without a rear bag. It is made for gripping with your non trigger hand to bring the stock into your shoulder I believe........

Pain in the ass with a rear bag, for sure.....

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

yup including blasers

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
quote:

yup including blasers

Especially ally Blasers!

The Queers of the rifle world! rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It is not useless and was designed with some valid features, at least to the guy who designed it.
Reduced weight.
Looks cool.
Most significant though; Made flat and parallel to the foreend to sit flat on a rear bag or rest.
McMillan designed similar, but less extreme, butts 20 years ago.
So, for a rest made to fit a traditional angled stock/toe bottom, no, you probably won't like it.

Posts: 17269 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have Remington 511 in a Boyd's stock with that cutout for a rear bag. Good for benchrest shoots.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14590 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
there are FIFTEEN stock options available for that model!!!

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39574 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why Not? Not everyone likes to shoot 125 year old guns, not drive a 1956 land rover. free

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2169 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Current tends in stocks remind me of fishing lures, which are often designed to catch purchasers more than fish.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Functionally,everything except the pistol grip, the comb, and the butt is just material. As long as the buttstock is sufficiently rigid and strong, the actual shape is meaningless.
Now, if you want the lower edge to track on a sandbag, that line comes into play. One could build a superbly functional stock by gluing up pieces of doweling of various sizes. Maybe throw in some plywood. It might look stupid but it would serve very well.
Anyone remember Lee Six's SST stock? He built it to sit low on the bags and keep the center of mass low; with no regard for aesthetics. never caught on. Seems people prefer stocks that look , at least, similar to a stock. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3755 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote