Find
Notify
Tools

butt plate instillation
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted
I did a search but could not find exactly what i need.
If some one would give some detail on butt plate instillation.
I have a finished stock and used masking tape sanded the plastic plate to fit. used a file to take it a little closer.
Now the problem is there is a little space between the wood and the plate. I made sure the plate is flat and the stock. Its not real bad but i would like a better look. I think the wood may be rounded a little on the edge.
What do you suggest.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
I use inletting black and inlet a metal buttplate the same way I do a barreled action. Just keep cutting down the high spots until the edges of the plate are snug against the stock wood. You could start the process by slightly "dishing out" the area in the center of the plate up to within about a quarter-inch of the edges all the way around, which keeps you from having to remove all that wood by spotting and scraping.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Well darn!
I was hoping this was a new, faster process for home distillation of 10 year old bourbon.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
What El Deguello said,

Just put a little inletting black on the plate, press it up to the butt and shave the marks, repeat until it fits right, piece-o-cake.. Big Grin

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
and when you are right close or done, a coat of contact cement on the pad, let to dry first, helps tons

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Jeffe, Whats the purpose for the contact cement?
Arky my grandpa was a moonshiner He burried his shine on the property. If A guy could find one of his staches. about 25yrs old,

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote