THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beretta SxS Shotgun to Rifle - Possibile?
 Login/Join

posted
I currently own a Beretta 626EL 20 gauge boxlock shotgun pictured below.

I'm interested to have a set of rifle barrels fitted, but am not even certain that this is possible.

Your thoughts as to feasibility and suggested gunsmith contacts are most welcome and appreciated.

Posts: 8 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 27 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was in a local shop a few weeks back and there was an as new Jannsen & Fils Belgian 3" 12ga. w/ 32" bbls, real nice duck gun, Greener crossbolt, PG, fit me well. I wanted to buy it but was told it was on hold for a guy that was going to turn it into a 45-70 DR.

I thought it would have been a shame to ruin the gun and I wanted it. I worked a deal for an old Henri Pieper I had bought for a similar project. The Pieper had ejectors and a front set trigger, much better suited for his purpose so a deal was struck. I was told a couple of weeks later that the had already machined a new breech assembly and was ordering two 45-70 barrels from Montana rifle to screw in, then the regulating starts. Apparently is working from a book on the subject, I'm sure someone here has the name.

They usually recommend a third fastener for this type of thing but not a dolls head.

Posts: 1689 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the book on the subject is
"building double rifles on shotgun actions" by w. ellis brown.

The huglu is my target action for building anything new on, though this one is going to be on a sauer 20ga

Right this minutes I am building, for myself, my 3rd attempt at this, and it will either be a 45/120 or 450NE... as the bolt thrust the same (ish) for them and a 45/70...

I will NOT build one without a third fastener and proofmarks. But I build them for myself, so there's not body to please but me. Going forward, unless the shotguns barrels are just ruined, I will be making the monoblock. it's not THAT hard, and sort of fun.

Trust me, if you don't have a mill, and haven't done quite a few rifle builds, this is above the average joe skill level.

Oh, yeah, and once you have it safely together, PROOFED, and built, THEN the regulation starts... which will drive you mad.. and then, when you finish it out, you WIL have to finetune reregulate it.

In short, its a money pit to have someone else do it, and a labor of love to do it yourself.
jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote