Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Model 70 Compact Classic Problem
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted
I bought my son a 7-08 and I cannot get a factory load that it likes. Tonite I noticed that the bolt closes REALLY easily. for some reason I closed it and put my finger at the front near the locking lugs and it moves around with about 1/16 of an inch of play. You can see it move.

I'm not a gunsmith, but shouldn't this be tight and immovable? All of my other Winchesters are tight except for one Supergrade. I cannot see it move, but I can hear a slight knocking sound that tells me there is some play. I'm thinking of sending both back to Winchester. If I can get this fixed, would it help solve my accuracy problems?

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
<BigBores>
posted
Long,

It doesn't sound right to me either, (sorry I'm not a gunsmith either). I only have 3 mod 70's here right now to compare it to, but all 3 lock up tight with the bolt all the way down, I can't push them down, up, or sideways and get any movement. 2 are pre-64's and one is a post-64 push feed. It might not cure your accuracy problem, but I would seriously consider having it fixed, whether it's by Win or a professional gunsmith is your choice ( I would lean towards a gunsmith, 3rd person objective evaluation). At least have one look at it in person who can make a determination of how serious it is. I would also have the entire gun gone over, bedding, barrel, trigger, crown, barrel floated or even pressure in channel (depending on whether it is foated or not), etc. If they couldn't even get the bolt right, it would make me wonder about the rest of the gun, too. Sorry to hear about your trouble. Good luck and let us know how it comes out, and whether Win gives you the run around or not.

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
Do me a favor. Go back and try yours with the safety in the middle position. If the safety is in the fire position, I get no movement. It is only when they are in the middle on two of them. The Compact is the worst. I failed to mention this.

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Longbob, I don't like the sound of that at all.I have 4 M70's and none move. My hunting buddy just got a Compact M70 for Christmas and had to send it back because the safety was near impossible to put on. If I were you I'd call Winchester and ask for technical assistance on this issue. Don't waste your time with customer service go right to a tech. Good luck and I hope it works out OK for your son.

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
You might check that movement this way. Chamber a round & then check for any bolt movement. There should be none with a live round in the chamber. There will be a little bolt movement without a round in the chamber because the bolt face isn't touching the
base of a round. If this is ok then you can check the bedding, look for pressure spots in the barrel channel. Try floating the barrel & see if your accuracy improves.

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<ChuckD>
posted
5 or 6 years ago I bought a new Mod 70 Featherweight that was also kinda loose -until you chambered a round. Had it checked out any way-smith said it was okay, though yours may not be. Also, mine (in .308) shot 6" groups if I did everything right! The front action screw was REALLY torqued down tight. Backed way off + a bit of trigger work, 165gr sierras and a stiff shot of 4064 made this a 1" +- gun. I never did like it as a hunting rifle though. The barrel was just to light to shoot well in typical field positions. I guess I am about the only guy around that likes a bit of weight in the muzzle in a deer rifle. Mostly use traditional muzzleloaders now . Good Luck---ChuckD