New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger 338WM Conversion to 458WM?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I read the Harry C.(FEB 24) thread and the Dave Scovill write up on converting the 338 Ruger to 375HH. This got me thinking about converting a Ruger 338WM (stainless/laminate) to 458WM. Along the lines of the Scovill/Atkinson conversion, I was thinking that a 458 could use the same magazine box and follower as the 338. I'm unsure of the 338 barrel contour, but if needed to go one size larger contour for the 458 I would think the factory stock would have enough room to be opened up. 20-22" barrel w/ NECG sights and have a good handling pack rifle for bears. Am I way off track? Thoughts?

Thanks,
GaryVA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nuttin' wrong with the concept at all. Just keep mind that this will be costly if you have to farm out the work. You probably could get it to work by approaching it as a hobby. Just look at all these guys who are building up 550's and 600's. Cool Cool Smiler

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
that's a no brainer. Any smith should be able to do that for you. I would suggest a #4 or #5 contour (5 for weight) for this.

in fact, you could order your necg front band (smallest i would let the muzzle be is about .700 (708 preferred)) and tell the barrel maker.

Pacnor can do the entire job, barrel, blue, sights, etc!!

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
If you could find a ruger 458 win mag take off barrel from a #1H, and had it cut down 2" at the breach, you'd get a nice forward weighted 458 win mag. I managed to pick up just one of those take offs, and had it fit to a mauser action. With the barrel band front sight and sling swivel, it is a nice looking barrel. Shorterning 2" off the breach won't allow the 1/4 rib to be fit (it had been pulled from the barrel), but a williams 1" dia ramp sight will fit the forward screw holes for the quarter rib.

I still have some work to do on the mag and bolt handle, but I'm quite happy with the results.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. I want to end up w/ a stainless/laminate 458WM (shooting 400-450 Northforks @ std. vel.) w/ a 20-22" bbl (fixed sights) and a good stock design for iron sights. Weight somewhere around 8.5 pounds. I'm thinking a Devcon Titanium bedding w/ Marine-Tex skim and this would be one hell of a tuff no frills working rifle.

I have a RSM chambered 375HH. This rifle is handy in balance and size but is too heavy. I will have it rebored to 458Lott when I shoot the barrel out though.

I have a 550 chambered 375HH. This rifle is cut down short and is very handy but I don't want a 458WM on a long Magnum action.

I have a 70 classic/supergrade chambered '06. This rifle was a money pit but is now a superb rifle in every way. I considered getting a classic/stainless 375HH and converting that to 458WM but thought that would be the most expensive route taking the most work.

When I read about the Scovill/Atkinson conversion I began looking at the Ruger 338 stainless/laminate. If I am correct, converting to 458WM is no more than a rebore/rechamber or barrel job. Dealer cost on a new rifle, rebarrel, sights and bedding material is not cheap but is not too bad.

Thanks again!
GaryVA

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Gary,

Someone had sent me the muzzle dia of the .338 ruger, but I don't have it handy (I was looking to use the Ruger barrel band front sight for another project). I believe the barrel contour of the 338 is too thin to bore out to .458.

It will be a fine working rifle, and a worthwhile project. You might want to consider a finished weight of 9# and a hair. The guy I sold my first 458 Lott to had a custom synthetic stock made for it, and the finished weight was as I recall 8 1/4#'s. Even with 458 win mag equivalent loads with 350 gr pills, and a ported barrel, it was "spirited" to shoot.

That's why I was happy to put the #1H truck axle barrel on my new lott, it has a nice barrel heavy balance, and I wouldn't want it any lighter.

I'm thinking if you go for a ~.80" muzzle dia, it should be just about right.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A stainless Ruger re-barrelled to .458 winnie would amke a great swapm pig rifle I reckon !! It would just be a barrel change wouldn't it ??

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PC,
Bob deVries did this exact rebarrel a few years back. Remember seeing it in his shop and thinking "bugger that looks good". He was offered (so the story went) a laminated Ruger .338 with a damaged barrel by the importer, so he whipped on a stainless barrel, re-attached the factory sights and voila, laminated/stainless 458WM! I reckon if Ruger offered them in the regular line they'd probably sell a few!
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Con,

I reckon they would to, I would start with a blued Ruger .338 and add a stainless barrel and Houge synthetic stock. I feel the Ruger stainless actions may be prone to galling a little more than other stainless actions..............I have no proof of this sofa

Ruger has a 3 pos saftey and all that Jaz all ready to Rock !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote