THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What can I turn a Ruger in 7mm SAUM into?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted
Well I found an outfit that is selling Ruger M77's new in box, blue, walnut, with rings and cheap but they are in 7mm Rem Short Action Ultra Mag.
The price is tempting enough to grab one but I'm not sure what to turn it into?
I don't really need a 7mm SAUM. Anyone know if these are built on a true short action and what could I re-barrel this baby into ?
Thanks for your thoughts on this matter.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I've never known this forum to lack for at least an opinion?

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm buying one too, but I'm going to keep it as it is. The 7mm SAUM is a great cartridge if you reload, and I see no reason to change the rifle.

analog_peninsula

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
A magnum casehead and short action has very limited choices. You could do a WSM or Lazzeroni, but why? Maybe a wildcat bewildered

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a short length standard action can be converted to any short action cartridge.

Ditto for a long action std bolt face

A long action mag face can be converted to any long action mag... but a short action mag face? VERY limited conversion possibilities....

I don't see that the 7mmSAUM is any different one way or the other over any other Short action mag cartridge.

If the rifle is cheap and you can't talk yourself out of it I'd get 300-400 pieces of brass for it (to be sure you have a supply) and use it as-is.

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
snell

Think about it. You are going to buy a rifle you don't really want because it is cheap. Then you are going to spend $$$$ to make it into something you do want. Think about it again. It's a good deal only if you leave it as is, IMHO.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ruger's aren't worth the trouble

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
450 marlin?
350 rem?
416 mann? (wsm to 416)

or my first bought and paid for wildcat, the 257 JLS.. 1/4xwsm

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
snellstrom,
I'm with cheechako on this one. Just because it's a good deal doesn't mean you will be saving money if you want to rebarrel. In my opinion the only time you can rebarrel cheaply is if you do it to a Savage or Stevens rifle.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
SA Stainless Savages,Swift Premier Scopes and SSS Triggers.

Posts: 25 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 24 March 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
So look. I've been chewwing at the bit to get myself into a bolt action 450 Marlin. Who has the Rugers so cheap, and what's cheap. I have a brannd new Howa 22-250 stainless bull barrel in my safe. I already have a 22-250, and I've been fighting the urge to unscrew the barrel, bore out the bolt face, and make a 450 Marlin out of it.

Posts: 49 | Location: Elyria, Ohio USofA | Registered: 14 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Swarf
They are $350 plus shipping on Gunbroker. That is dirt cheap for new in the box with rings. Sounds like the guy has a few to sell.
Let me know how your project goes.

posted Hide Post
Thanks partner. That's just about what I've got in the stainless 22-250 barreled action that I've got on hand. I suppose that I might as well use that asI already have it. The bolt face would be easy to open up, and I don't think the extractor would be a big deal. It could either be reprofile if necessary or replaced with one from Legacy Sports for a Mag bolt face. The Ruger is inviting though, but by the time I ship it and pay for the transfer paperwork I'd have another 50 to 75 dollars in it. It's still tempting though. Thanks for the comeback.
Swarf

Posts: 49 | Location: Elyria, Ohio USofA | Registered: 14 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That sounds tempting. I do not know what else you got, but a 450Marlin with a short barrel and compact scope would wreck shop on close up stuff, make you a nice little brush or treestand gun. Or go the other way an do a 6.5WSM and put a heavier contour barrel on it #4 or #5 with a Timney trigger and have you a long range deer smacker. Or leave it as is use it for a back up or trade it on a gun you really really want. Sounds like you are not real interested in it as is. I would go for it, some Rugers have super nice wood. I have seen a few that will shot little tiny groups with out much effort.