Find
Notify
Tools

Springfield Model 86 22cal bolt action
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey all,

I still have the 22 that my father showed me how to shoot with (it's a springfield, I believe Model 86, but can double check if that sounds wrong, tube fed bolt action I believe it holds 15 or more 22lr), and I know he'd had it since him and his brothers were kids because at one point one of them "blued" it (looks brown) and another refinished the stock.

My older girl is almost at the right age to learn to shoot and I was thinking about getting it ready. Could you all answer a few questions for me?

1. I shot it when I was 5, but the stock doesn't seem particularly short, should I leave it so they can grow into it?

2. is it normal for the buttplate, bolt, tube and triggerguard to be chrome?

3. I want to rust blue it, do I need to have a shop take the barrel off for me? after that do I even have to sand it out? Can I just blast (get it done at friends shop) and then blue? I've heard you can card with scotchbrite versus a carding wheel, anybody know which color?

4. last question, I learned open sights which is good to start, later though maybe go to a scope. I notice it is tapped with two holes that have screws in them, on the left side of the action/rail. was this normal, any idea what scope mount it was for?

Thanks for your help guys. I have a ruger 10/22 as well, which is great, but for starting out I like the bolt action and enjoy the thought of three generations learning on the same rifle.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When my son wanted to start shooting I bought him a single shot savage bolt gun.You know the type with a striker you have to pull out to fire.
IMO,the safest rifle to start someone shooting.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No help guys? at least on 3 and 4??

Red

One of Us
posted Hide Post
3. I don't think I would try rust blue- get a good cold blue -Brownells oxyablue or dichropan much quicker .
4. its drilled for an old weaver or williams side mount- you might look at some old gun digest/shooters annual to find the model # you need- good luck!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
might be easier to just drill and tap it for new scope mounts? I thought of leaving it open sights, since I have a 10/22 that's scoped anyways.

I thought cold blue was only for touch ups and hard to get good results with on large projects? that's less work than the rust blue, especially since I'd have to build a tank to boil the parts in. I just don't want to spend a bunch of money on a rifle that isn't worth very much money.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
exhaust manifold paint .. really .. warm up the barrel to "warm- too warm to hang on to" and hang from a wire.. allow to dry, wipe down hard, and you'll have a decent, non-stinking (can't stand teh stench of coldblue) gun ..

don't rust blue it .. stamped parts

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39663 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you warm before or after painting?

Red

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Before. The paint needs heat to set

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39663 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote