New
Find
Notify
Tools

cadwell lead sled & wood stocks
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have any reservations about using one of these with wood stocks? I've seen some talk about the potential to transfer too much energy to the stock, cracking it. Midway has a pretty good price on them now.
When necessary i use a 25# bench wizard.

Posts: 392 | Location: Western Massachusetts | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Collectively we've shot some damn big guns off one with no trouble, up 577/550 NE. If your stock were to crack on one I'd be inclined to suspect it was a problem waiting to happen anyway.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I've broken 500 jeffe on the bench... but not hurt 550, 500, 458, 404, 416, and 376 (and 223 HAH) from tigger's leadsled...

it doesn't STOP the gun like benchresting it does, or that's my opinion

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38593 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wayne Elmer
posted Hide Post
For what its worth, I have put a bunch of rounds through Win M70's in 338WM and 375H&H on a Caldwell lead sled, with no ill effects on the stocks to date. Both are wood stocks, with only the factory hot glue bedding. I have only used 25 lbs. of lead on the sled. The beauty of the sled is that it still allows the rifle to recoil, but just takes the punch out of it.

Regards, Wayne E.

Posts: 119 | Location: Duluth, MN | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
Never use more then 50 lbs. of lead. If you stick with one 25 lb bag AND use a Past recoil pad it will dampen the recoil of most any cartridge and not risk your stock.

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote