Find
Notify
Tools

Winter project questions....243 Win to AI
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted
I have a .243Win ADL and as a winter project I was thinking about adding bottom metal, fluting the bolt handle and shroud along with bedding and a paint job....just like I did last year to my ADL -06

But to add some spice I was thinking about bumping it out to an AI just for the heck of it.

What should I know about this?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
As to a 243AI to me it is a wasted effort. I have owned, tested and still own a number of AIs the 243 is not one I kept. Loaded to eqaul pressure a gain of 40-60fps compairing handloads on both sides.

I'm sure someone will say they gained a lot more. Factory 243 is loaded to basically 60,000 a handloader will take the AI to a much higher pressure. Thus larger gain.

To do it right you need to have your barrel set back one turn and then rechambered. Then fireform your brass, new dies etc.

But if you want and AI go for it just do it right and set the barrel back. The AI headspace is actually shorter than the std so a std case is a crush fit.

If it were me and I wasn't happy with what I could get from a 243Std handloaded I would skip the AI and got to the 6-284. Basic same cost (maybe cheaper probably no setback required)and more like 150fps gain potential.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
This is a DIY project with next to no cost with just time...

I will measure my chamber this week to see if any set back will be required

As for the chamber and the die I will be burning both....EDM

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
To do it right setback is needed PERIOD. See my thought I added above as to the 6-284.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
if you are going to bother, and want MORE vel..
do a 6rem AI on the same gun...

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:

+1

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:

homer Man I always forget about the 6mm in a short action. I guess because I've always built mine on a MKX or M98 action.

The 6mmAI makes more sense than the 6-284 gives you the majority of the 6-284 bang for less powder.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
Never had a 243 AI, have converted several to 6-284 and always liked them. I will say that everyone I know who has gone the 243 AI route loved them. The point of the 243 AI with most users is not so much performance gain as it is that the AI seems to do away with a lot of the erratic behavior the 243 sometimes exhibits. It makes reloading much more predictable and concistant in that particular implementation.

That said, the 6-284 or 6mm AI are easier and do give better performance.

Posts: 1237 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
I did my 243 to 6MM Rem AI. No set back required. Sweet shooter. I am totally happy with my 6MM Rem AI. Worth the effort. tu2

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.
NRA Life Member, December 2009

Politicians should wear Nascar Driver's jump suites so we can tell who their corporate sponsers are!

Posts: 1800 | Location: River City, USA. East of the Mississippi | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Not a performance issue....just a winter project and I like the 40 deg shoulder thanks for the input I will start the bolt fluting in the weeks soon to come but burning my die and chamber will be later