THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Ever retro fit other brand factory stock to a Mauser?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ever retro fit other brand factory stock to a Mauser?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted
Just wondering if anyone has successfully retro-fitted a Ruger, Winchester or other brand factory rifle stock to a Mauser with any success?
I have a small ring (96) Mauser and was wondering about that very prospect.
Yeah I know it won't make a show piece but if successful it will be a conversation piece for sure.
With as much experience as you all have out there I know someone has done this so I'd like to hear about it.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some inletting and fitting should be all that's needed to make it fit.

Once it's mounted and you're happy with it.
Then epoxy a little at a time to fill up the excess open spaces to give it good strength.

Long time ago had a gunsmith refit a Springfield stock to my old Eddystone. That's how he did it. Used fiberglass insulation as filler and to reinforce the large amounts of expoxy.

Just make sure you do a little at a time and not a bunch at once as you can count on bleeding onto areas you don't want it. No matter how much anti stick you put on the action. You'll still have some stickyness where you don't want it.

Use a candle's smoke, or some other way of 'smoking' the metal parts while fitting the iron to the wood. Each time you press it into the stock. it will rub a little smoke off the tight spots. That shows where to carve out a little more wood.

Didn't you tell me once you're in the springs? I'm 40mi south, bring it by here and I'll help you IF you'd like.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6008 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I fitted a 03 stock to a 98.
I buddy gave me a the stock that was badly fitted to a 03 so much that it cracked up the in sides. I hogged out what was not needed filled in the rest with glass bedding. Looks like any other wood stock from the out side. Kind of looks like a glass stock on the inside. Works.

Posts: 19582 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i've done small rings into short wincheter stocks...

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39600 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Too much work.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Jeffe
When doing the Winchester short action stock to small ring Mauser fit does it end up fitting well or is there any fill areas where it will be visible when finished?
I don't mind doing some glass bedding and inletting but I'm hoping for all the glassed areas to be out of sight.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote