New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger non crf crf
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Ruger MK II in 30-06. It is the Mauser clone claw type bolt. It is my understanding that this design was not to ever double feed if you work the bolt fast, slow, upside down etc. This one does double feed with slow working of the bolt with surprising regularity. Is this common? It shoots very accurately with many loads. I really like this rifle as it is the first centerfire rifle I ever bought, years ago. Should I get this fixed? I have heard from a gunsmith that if it shoots great don't mess with it. Opinions?

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hm... 57 looks and no opinions? That is a first for this crowd.

Maybe I should rephrase the question. How is it possible for a CRF MK II to double feed? This is likely never to be a DGR. Is that a big deal have ironed out?

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
D Hunter

I'm not sure that the very first mkII's where CRF. It seems like I read somewhere (maybe here) that the first ones had the same bolt face as the original m77.

Otherwise it shouldn't be to hard to straighten out a your rifle if it is indeed a crf. Most any competent gunsmith should be able to help.
Like you have already been told though, if it shoots fine what's the big deal. If your like me you probably just want it to work right?

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not sure that the very first mkII's where CRF. It seems like I read somewhere (maybe here) that the first ones had the same bolt face as the original m77.

The first MKII were not a true CRF. The first ones did not have the bottom of the bolt open to allow the case to slide under the extractor. Working from memory only I think that it was very minor job to correct this.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
yep paul is right..

the original and round tops are pushfeeds, alot like a rem

first of the mkii was, but had enclosed boltface (think wincheter CRPF)

rest were opened up like mausers

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of MKII's with open bolt face that do not alwalys feed like a CRF. Wink

The failure's usually occur when feeding from the same side, on any particular rifle. Most folks blame it on a OSFA approach to rails, magazines and followers.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
and there's a couple rugers that need to be "bumped" to feed push feed.. but i like having a dgr that i can throw a round on top and close the bolt, from the factory...

500gr at 2350 AND all the realibility of a crf, !!

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I bought it in 1994 if I remember correctly. This one looks just like my 98 mauser bolt face. I will get my smith to look it over. I do just want it to work right. Good hunting. "D"

one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess the biggest thing is that I have bought into the crf concept and was very disappointed when I figured out that it double fed almost all the time when worked slow. Just what a CRF is supposed to prevent. "D"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What specific way does it double feed? Is it always from one side? Does the round jump from the extractor?

The sure way to make any CRF double feed is to use cartridges that are too short for the magazine. The loaded rounds must fit the magazine front to back. Not too tight of course.

The worst ones are the Mausers chambered for the 7-57 and 8-57 as the bullets were made shorter as things evolved.