Find
Notify
Tools

Just in Time
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted
I had been expecting delivery of a mannlicher stocked 7X57 mauser any day now. On the African forum, Loud-N-Boomer taunted me about fondling the rifle in Duane Wiebe's shop. I had given up on the rifle arriving before my last hunting trip of this season when I left the office last Thursday. Being forgetful, I had to run back up to my office for some papers I had left behind and found that the UPS man had arrived! The rifle was here, so I brought it along as I left for South Texas Friday morning. Five shots off the bench and the rifle was sighted. The sixth shot out of this rifle took the buck pictured below. I think I have a new favorite rifle. You can copy and paste this address if the picture doesn't show:
http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/ForrestB/Wiebe%20e-mail%20deer.jpg

[This message has been edited by ForrestB (edited 02-04-2002).]

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful, both of them

Posts: 544 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 27 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow! Very, very nice! Congratulations!

Posts: 497 | Location: Lewistown, PA USA | Registered: 21 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ForrestB, could you possibly post them in another manner? Or email me a picture? i'd like to see your pictures and all I get is a message telling me I'm forbidden to. Thanks, - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Hunting-Pictures.com seems to load but Webshots doesn't so I've changed the links. Looks like I'll be using Hunting-Pictures from now on.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
Hunting-Pictures.com seems to load but Webshots doesn't so I've changed the links. Looks like I'll be using Hunting-Pictures from now on.

FANTASTIC!!!!! on BOTH!

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Terry P>
posted
ForrestB,
That is a nice deer and the rifle is fantastic. How about some details about the rifle?
Terry

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Forrest:

I told you so, I told you so :P! Great deer, now just don't let your daughter see the rifle, or if she is like mine, she'll lay claim to it, and you'll have to get Duane to build another one .

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
OUTSTANDING, and it is mild!
Don

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
That is a beautiful piece of work. The lines are very nice. What is the barrel length?

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
<rolf>
posted
ForrestB.
Now that�s a nice pair!! Can�t figure out which one I�d like the most.
Regards/Rolf

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with rolf, I would be proud to own either one.
Good luck and good shooting

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Terry and Ramrod-

The details are: The action is a G.33/40, bottom metal and trigger are Blackburn, PME 3-position safety, Krieger barrel is 19". Duane Wiebe did all the work including sculpted scope mount bases, 4 panel checkering on the bolt handle, octagon to round barrel with an integral full-length rib and front ramp. The rear sight is an adjustable aperture sight that fits into the rear scope base. The rear sight and a hex key for removing the scope are inletted into butt under the trap-door buttplate.

There are so many neat touches on the rifle (Duane gets credit for all of them). One is that the front sling swivel is inletted and instead of being rigidly attached to the barrel, it can slide on a dove-tailed grove on a hanger soldered to the barrel. This allows the mannlicher foreend to move around like they want to do.

As always, Duane's work is impeccable. Get out your checkbook and dial (530) 344-1357.

I like traditional fine arts like paintings and sculpture, but when I see the prices I pay for an original painting or bronze or stone sculpture it makes a custom rifle like this look cheap. I'm aware of no other endeavor in which a world-class craftsman/artist grosses the equivilent of $30-40 per hour of labor. Something is not right but I'll accept the benefits.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That rifle clearly illustrates that gunsmithig can be a true form of art and skilled craftsmanship blended together.

A bruiser of a buck! With such a great story.

" It just don't get no better than this "

Posts: 1535 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
<rolf>
posted
ForrestB.
You don�t happend to have some more pictures of the rifle in question and for that matter some of the other custom rifles built for you?
I�m of now before the dripping from my mouth shortcircuits my board.
Regards/Rolf

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
Awesome Rifle, I love it. Manlicher stocked rifles are so lovely.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
ForrestB
Thanks for the information. A true work of art.

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote