Find
Notify
Tools

bluing barrels
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of mousegun
posted
I helped a local gunsmith with some bluing work. I had a couple actions and some small parts that needed to get blued and he did'nt charge much because I helped out with some other bluing jobs that he was doing.

Anyhow, he had some barrels that he was doing and I asked him, "arent you supposed to plug the barrel before they get dipped?" He said that he knows of no good way to plug the barrel that will ensure that the air in the barrel wont expand and blow the plugs out. Makes sense, I guess.

It goes without mentioning that I would not want by bore blued. I assume it would be done the same way for parkerizing. Is this the correct way for a gunsmith to perform the task of barrel bluing or is there a better way?

------------------------------------
Originally posted by BART185

I've had another member on this board post an aireal photograph of my neighborhood,post my wifes name,dig up old ads on GunsAmerica,call me out on everything that I posted. Hell,obmuteR told me to FIST MYSELF. But you are the biggest jackass that I've seen yet, on this board!
--------------------------------------

-Ratboy

Posts: 194 | Location: Copperhead Road | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
He better not plug the barrels. Wou SHALL have an eruption! You've never been burnt by hot blueing salts have you?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8347 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Just why would you care if the barrel was blued internally. While it has been 30 years since I did any hot bluing... I always thought it did a fine job of cleaning the bores! Now seriousily, the actual depth of the bluing's penetration into the steel is so shallow and the all to soon removal by firing and cleaning I can't see a reason to be concerned. And yes I have been burned that way... never again!

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
NO!!!
plugging the bores would result in what doug said.. ERUPTION!!! the barrel and air inside is would go from ambient to 290deg in seconds,.. the air would expand, and a very high PH very HOT fluid would spray all over the place.

not a pleasant idea
jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38662 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mousegun
posted Hide Post
OK, I get the point. I just thought bluing, and parkerizing, would somehow affect the bore in one way or another. Is that how factory rifles are done?

I've had another member on this board post an aireal photograph of my neighborhood,post my wifes name,dig up old ads on GunsAmerica,call me out on everything that I posted. Hell,obmuteR told me to FIST MYSELF. But you are the biggest jackass that I've seen yet, on this board!

-Ratboy

Posts: 194 | Location: Copperhead Road | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ratboy

You're right about parkerizing. Don't want the bore parkerized. thumbdown So you plug the bore for that. The same for the hot or cold rust or acid bluing. What you're talking about is niter bluing, a different process, and you definitely don't want to plug the bore for that. Niter bluing is not technically "bluing". It is blacking. Black oxidizing to be specific. stir

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
You've never been burnt by hot blueing salts have you?

While I can't say that I have firsthand experience with this, it seems that EVERY gunsmith I've ever talked to that HAS been burnt by hot bluing salts always has a strong reaction when telling the story! Eeker

Must be quite the experience!

One of Us
Picture of mousegun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Bore:
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
You've never been burnt by hot blueing salts have you?

While I can't say that I have firsthand experience with this, it seems that EVERY gunsmith I've ever talked to that HAS been burnt by hot bluing salts always has a strong reaction when telling the story! Eeker

Must be quite the experience!

Thats the same reaction/impression I got.

-Ratboy

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
While bluing salts get warm, perhaps a few of you all would care to mention a tad of moisture entering the casting pot, and the attending eruption of molten lead vacating same....

Nasty business!

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cheechako:
ratboy

You're right about parkerizing. Don't want the bore parkerized. thumbdown So you plug the bore for that. The same for the hot or cold rust or acid bluing. What you're talking about is niter bluing, a different process, and you definitely don't want to plug the bore for that. Niter bluing is not technically "bluing". It is blacking. Black oxidizing to be specific. stir

Ray

Maybe we are using different terms for things, but Nitre Bluing is done at a temperature of about 600 degrees, and is normally only used for smaller non critical parts like screws, pins, buttplates, etc.

Nitre Bluing salts don’t even turn to a liquid much below 300 degrees.

At 600 degrees I don’t think anyone would want to use this process for barrels or receivers.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick

I should have said nitrate bluing. Sorry. Old time gunsmiths were very contemptuous of any but the rust blue processes and referred to the black oxide finishes as "a nitre job".

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cheechako:
Rick

I should have said nitrate bluing. Sorry. Old time gunsmiths were very contemptuous of any but the rust blue processes and referred to the black oxide finishes as "a nitre job".

Ray

I figured you new what you meant and what you were talking about and it was just semantics that caused the confusion. beer

Nitre salts can turn out some beautiful colors on steel but until the temp gets to about 600 degrees or so the colors are shades of yellow...above 600 they start turning blue.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote