New
Find
Notify
Tools

custom bases for talley rings
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looking for a good smith to make/install custom bases on several of my custom rifles. The last three I have used no longer are doing them or are unreliable. Any suggestions

/

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
michael scherz does them but reports vary on his reliability.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I have one set from Michael Scherz and 2 more that should be delivered any day. I am very impressed with his bases.

Dean Zollinger also does an amazing job with his bases.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
any examples of their work?? I was really happy with the two I had working with me. Both have since retired.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve Yamagishi did some nice work for me on a few sets of custom bases. Here is a not great photo of one of the sets:

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try "toomanytools" here on the board, a/k/a John Farner.

He did some great bases for use with Tally rings for a VZ-24 for me.

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I dont have any photos of my Scherz bases but I pasted a link to his site below.

http://www.michaelscherz.com/scope_bases.html

Here is a pic of my Zollinger bases.

William Berger

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I'm happy for the folks here that had good luck with Mr. Scherz, he does good work.... when he works. Based on my and several other members experience with him, I will never trust any work with him again. Caveat Emptor!!!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2271 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks all. Still need help finding someone that can do 10-20 sets a year and not need to beat on to do the work.

square shooter

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
10 to 20 sets a year. Sounds like a small run production job. Different action or all the same?
I'd be more then happy to quote it.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lb404:
thanks all. Still need help finding someone that can do 10-20 sets a year and not need to beat on to do the work.

I would be willing to bet that both the names I mentioned can handle that for you without issue. You should give them a call before writing them off. I have extensive dealings with both and had nothing but excellent service.

William Berger

one of us
posted Hide Post
kcstott, there might be three different types of actions; large and small ring Mauser actions and,pre-64 model 70 actions.Occasionally i might need a Winchester Classic action done. I would love to start this project. I need names and numbers please!

square shooter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim Dubell of Delta Gunshop did these basis for me for my 404 project

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted Hide Post
I second John aka TOOMANYTOOLS

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

Posts: 332 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 15 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
PM sent

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post
Mark Stratton did a set or stradle bases for my Brno 21h with a cut out so that the iron sight could still be used.

Posts: 675 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark stratton did most of mine, and a great job.
After the last job he did, he told me he had to shut down and would not be working for a while. IS MARK working now???? does anyone have contact numbers?

square shooter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd like to point out something in Steve Yamagishi's bases.

Notice how the dovetail does not extend beyond the the forward or rear recoil shoulder. Lots more work, but sure stands out as an ultra professional job.

By the way: He is now Steve BUTTON, recently moved and set up shop in Olympia, WA 360 918 8283

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote