New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: A true hero.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Nice post Rick. We can all do more for those in uniform.

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sure hope I am not embarrasing M1Tanker...but I just had to share with everyone what a Hell of a guy he is!

My youngest son just got orders for Iraq and his outfit is stationed at Ft. Bliss for training and outfitting while awaiting deployment. When I told M1Tanker about it in an email he offered to help out my son in any way he could to make his stay at Bliss a little easier.

I got a phone call from my son just a couple hours ago and he told me that Bill had brought him and his guys some much needed cleaning gear for their weapons...and a bunch of brownies his wife had baked for them.

Needless to say, Bill has gained a life long friendship and has succeeded in bringing a few tears to a worn out, old Marine's eyes with his kindness and unselfish devotion to his fellow soldiers.

A true hero, and a true leader in my book...and the epitomy of what incredibly fine men this country has in uniform! I sometimes wonder if we people in this country deserve them.

Rick

Posts: 494 | Location: Valencia, CA | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What is really impressive about Bill is that he is always looking to help one of his soldiers...the sign of a TRUE leader. Our military could use more leaders like him and I am sure that his soldiers would agree...I know my son does!

Rick

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Rick,
I have no idea how to respond to such kind words. I didnt do anything that you would not have done in return. Besides, you already took care of one of my soldiers. Returning the favor was the least I could do. My wife hopes the guys enjoyed the brownies.

As soon as they cut your son a little free time I will have him and his boys over and throw some steaks on the grill.
Bill

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I gotta second that too- M1Tanker helped me out as I am trying to learn to checker - did it even tho I am a squid! Class act all the way.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

As I told you, this preparing for war stuff was a Hell of allot easier as a son than it is as a father!

I can now appreciate far more what my poor folks went through when I went to Vietnam.

My gratitude for what you have done and what you do isn't just because my son is involved. I was extremely impressed by your dedication and concern for your soldiers even before you helped out my son. I know that this is the way "its supposed to be"...but unfortunately, it ain't that way with far too many leaders in the service who are only out for themselves.

Meeting people who truly understand the role of being a leader is just a really nice breath of fresh air, and I just wanted you to know that it doesn't go unoticed.

Rick

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chic,

That's exactly what I was talking about concerning Bill...a total "class-act"...and a great example of what a "leader" is supposed to be.

My son isn't even in Bill's outfit at Ft. Bliss and Bill has been helping him out to ease his stay there and to help get him geared up in preparation to leave for Iraq.

I would hump Bill's pack for him anytime!

Rick

<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
Rick-where and when were you in the "Nam"? I was flying out of Pleiku and PhuCat from Oct.1969 'til Oct. 1970.

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Rick,
It would only be an injustice if we were comparing looks. And then that would lean in your favor. My friend Ken says I have a face only a bind mother could love. And that is as long as she doesnt try to read braille.

I sure appreciate the praises but there are a lot of darn good NCO's out there. Your son included. He was trying to take care of his soldiers when he gave me a call and told me what he needed. I am positive he gained that attitude of "soldiers first" by following his fathers example.

My example of what a NCO should be came very early on in my career. He had the policy that if you take care of your soldiers they will take care of you. I have tried to follow his advice and found out that it works.

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Rusty,
I couldnt agree with your sentiments more. The members of this forum have been absolutely amazing to deal with. I am impressed every time I get on this forum at the incredible wealth of knowledge that is found here. And I am even more impressed at the willingness to share that knowledge and experience.

I am fortunate to be sharing a hunting camp this fall with a fellow forum member and again next fall with another one. I would be honored to share a fire with any member of this group and hope to do so a lot in the future.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Not to hijack this thread, but I'd just like to say that all the people I have had the pleasure of meeting and hunting with that are from this forum have been the best folks!

MAC, NE450#2, PWN375, 400 NitroExpress, BrowningGuy, Jeffeosso, Ray, Harry, Wendell, JudgeG, Bfaucett, BobC, Ann Scrollcutter, John Ricks, all these guys and Lady have been the finest folks you'd ever want to know.

There are some very good folks on this forum and I'm fortunate to have made some great friends via this forum.
Be proud to meet rick and M1Tanker and the rest someday. Even better to share a campfire.

Thanks folks!

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote