New
Find
Notify
Tools

My latest 45-70
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just finished this rifle this past weekend, its SMLE No 1 Mark III in 45-70. I used a Holland & Holland pattern American black walnut stock from GAG.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Cool!

How hard was it to get your rifle to feed 45-70 reliably? I looked a Gibbs Sumit carbine once at a gunshow and though this was a neat idea. How does your shoot?

I have a No4 Mk1* that I've been slowly working on lately. These old Enfields are different, but hard to beat aren't they?

Way to go!

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Give us some details!

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Rolland,
You really like those Enfields! Nice rig. What sights did you use? Will the stock get some checkering?

Hope it gets you many hogs.

- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't see the H&H style or stocks for the Lee Enfield listed at their site. Who do you talk to there?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
well that looks cool and fun!!

how does it shoot
jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Rolland

Don't keep us all waiting, can you get back here to all these questions ??

My question is how that stock shape handles the recoil from decent 45-70 loads, maybe in comparison with some other stock shapes of your experience ??

Cheers - Foster

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How hot can an SMLE be loaded, like the +P stuff? My father-in-law was looking over a Gibbs, he told me the sales guy said it wouldn't take more than the standard "safe" factory loads.

I've had my eye peeled for a few years, looking for a Pattern 14 action to maybe one day having made into a 45-70; I got it peeled, too, for one of those Persians that Century (?) used to sell.

If anyone wants to break down and give me a No.1, I'll take itSmiler

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
and my apologies, Rolland, that's a good lookin' rig.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In regard to the stock design, I talked to Henry at GAG, actually he talked me into the design. It handles the recoil pretty well altho I used a limb saver recoil pad.
It has a Adams & Bennett 458 barrel with a 1-14 twist cut to 24 inches with Williams sights.
As far as handling the load, I have never shot anything other than factory loads in both this one and the first one I built, but I would think that a person could increase the load some, but it works so well with factory I have just left well enough alone......for now.
The only problem getting it to feed is getting a magazine, I was lucky in finding a Gibbs magazine and copied it other than that the action needs to be opened up to allow the larger cartridge head to feed, that includes the feed rails and inside the ring but it doesn't take much. The extractor also has to be reshaped altho I used the same configuration for the extractor cut in the barrel.

Tentman, this stock works much better than the Boyds stock I used on the first one I built, the Boyds has a little more drop in the butt stock and they would not make me one in the better quality wood or so the man on the phone said.

Stu, I was going to checker it but the more I look at it the more I think I will leave it plain.
I will put a scope on it prior to hog season most likely a 2.5 to 8 Leupold. This one shoots really well, the barrel sights are dead on at 100 yards.
This is what happens when you retire and have too much time on your hands. Roll Eyes
thanks for all the compliments it is fun working on them cheers

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is what happens when you retire and have too much time on your hands.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that! I envy you.

How will you go about scoping it? I am considering a Cad Teknic mount for my project.

Jason

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tex
I used a Williams side mount last time and will most likely use the same one on this one.
I don't recall seeing a Cad Teknic mount. Who has those? Where could I see one?
Rolland

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member

One of Us
Picture of The Metalsmith
posted Hide Post
http://www.chuckhawks.com/gibbs_summit.htm

Here's a interesting article on the action strength for the 45-70 Enfield. I suppose I see the point on being able to handle a heavier load, but I personally wouldn't want to try it.
By the way that is one awesome piece of work there! Congrats!

"Molotov Cocktails don't leave fingerprints"
-Dr. Ski

Posts: 579 | Location: Astoria, Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Too bad Gibbs isn't producing at the present (at least I can't find anyone who has them).

Surely would buy one but not build one (due to cost)

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Metalsmith
thanks for posting the article, I have not seen that one.
Dustoffer, the last place I saw a Gibbs advertised was in the Zanders Sporting Goods catalog I think they were $299

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rolland,

could you post a closer picture or two of the action from the top or side.

Greg

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Just one of several options I'm looking at:
Click Here
Expensive but fairly well liked from what I've read.

Do you have a close up of the Williams mount?

I want to be able to mount a removable scope and use the peep sight. What other options are out there?

Jason

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tex
Go to www.williamsgunsight.com the sight is a SM-71

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member