Find
Notify
Tools

My BRNO ZG47
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted
I thought I would post some pictures of my new acquisition. It's a BRNO ZG47, my first, produced by Waffen Frankonia Wurzburg and so stamped on the top of the barrel. Caliber is 30.06, serial # 18810, and 24" barrel. Holds 5 down and cycles perfectly. Rifle is in excellent shape as well as the bore. Original BRNO scope mount came with it. I am still learning about these rifles and am excited to own this.

Posts: 894 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Wow! looks new.

You did good!

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You did really,good. Congratulations, great looking rifle.

Posts: 201 | Location: logan, W.V. | Registered: 13 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Very nice rifle.. All these BRNOs have great bolt handles .

Rich

Posts: 6435 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
beautiful rifle; may I ask what function the pin next to the safety lever serves?

thanks.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
I don't have the rifle here but it has something to do with the safety iirc. Someone more knowledgeable than me should hopefully be able to answer your question better.

Posts: 894 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
My favorite Mauser-type rifle. Good score!

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Many thanks to you too Forrest for helping me with my decision to purchase this rifle. Your knowledge of ZG47s is impressive, and I appreciate you taking the time to educate me and offer your approval.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Very nice. AND it looks like someone knew how to take care of it.

"That rifle model is viewed by many as the pinnacle in Mauser action development and represents arguably one of the finest factory production rifles ever made."

Quote is from a collectors post on CZ forums.

Posts: 220 | Location: SW Missouri USA | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
I don't know if they all came with this particular type of front sight. But I really like the push button release for the front sight blade. The sight fits in a dovetail and if you depress the button in slides out (forward) so it is very easy to install different blade heights. Much easier that a dovetail type that is drifted in.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Super nice! thumb thumb I sure wish that someone would reproduce those bolt shrouds.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Pre-War, yes they all have front sights like yours, unless they have been customized.

Doug, I know. Strange thing is some guys replace those safety shrouds with m-70 types.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you actively use your rifles and in areas where Grizzlies are both numerous and aggressive, it is sound practice to have the controls on your rifles all the same. Hence, the replacement of other excellent safety systems, i.e., ZGs and FNs, with after-market Mod. 70s, IF, that is what you are, as I am, USED TO.

Fumbling with a safety that you seldom use when you are within 30 ft. of a Grizzly and I have been there, is not a particularly pleasant experience. Being able to aim and fire an appropriate rifle without any distractions due to unfamiliarity IS, believe me, a major stress reliever.

If, you are an "accumulator"of rifles, fine, if you are a "dude"hunter who is always accompanied by a pro with a stopping rifle, also fine, BUT, for serious uses, I much prefer to have my ZG safeties match those on my other using rifles.

Why would this be a problem, when you can switch them back with no trouble?

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why would this be a problem, when you can switch them back with no trouble?

Because you can't switch them back with no trouble. These aren't "drop in" parts. They must be fitted and timed to work properly. After they are, the original parts will no longer fit. Every rifle is different. If a man spends a little time with the gun he'll know how to use it and won't fumble the safety when it's time to use it. The lever on a ZG-47 safety is huge, simple, solid and only moves in one direction (user friendly.) Not much to learn or get use to.

Terry

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Very nice rifle

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38603 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you change a ZG factory safety to a Mod. 70 style, you must use a Mod. 98 cocking piece instead of the factory one. This is then fitted to the ZG bolt and the bolt itself is not changed except for the little notch which is covered by both types of safety.

So, where is the problem in returning it to original factory specs. using the parts that you removed from the rifle? I have also seen ZGs here with FN safeties installed as that is what the owners felt comfortable with.

My latest ZG, in 9.3x62 came from a good friend of mine, whom some here know and have dealt with, Raul V. and he has installed a Dakota 3-pos. safety on it. I intend to return it to stock as I have an FN based 9.3 abuilding and it will be my working 9.3.

I understand the desire to keep these various classic rifles in original shape and my Obie Type B in 9.3, my other ZG and various others are left that way. BUT, where my regular using rifles are concerned, I tend to use what I am most used to and my other buddie's Ralf Martini custom 9.3x64B on a ZG action from my stash has a 2-pos. Mod. 70 style safety I had installed years ago.

I used this on my last horsepack into BC wilderness as a Grizzly kept hanging around our waterhole and I felt more comfortable with what I am used to. So, that is what I like, each to his own.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chisana
posted Hide Post
What calibers are the ZG47 commonly encountered in? Nice rifle by the way.

Thanks.

Forrest

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
Distinguished Rifleman
President's Hundred

Posts: 390 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 11 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chisana:
What calibers are the ZG47 commonly encountered in? Nice rifle by the way.

Thanks.

Forrest

The ones I've seen are
.270Win
.30-06
7X57
7X64 Brenneke
8X64S Brenneke
9.3X62 (I've only heard about this one)

I would bet there are a few more.

I've got the cool one, 8X64S Cool

Terry

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
They were offered in 5.6x61, 30-06, 270, 7x57, 7x64, 8x57, 8x60, 8x64, 8x68, 9.3x62, 9.3x64, 10.75x68 and supposedly 404Jeff. I've owned 24 and seen another dozen or so, 30-06, 270 7x57, 7x64, 8x57, 8x64 seem to be most common. A total of 20K were made, none were imported in the USA, they're more common in Canada & Europe. For comparison, about 40K Brno 21/22s were made, 124K Oberndorf sporters, 580K pre-64 M-70s.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have examined about 30 of these since my intial experience with one in 1965 and shooting my first in 1968. I have seen 7x57s, .270s and two 9.3x62s, mostly the 65mm type, but, have had the shorter one as well.

The 9.3 x62 is the rarest I have had, but, it is a bit too slender in the bbl. and a 9.3x64 in this, with the same tube diameter, would rock your socks, IMHO. I know of two so chambered from the factory in BC, but, the owners know what they have and AIN'T sellin'....

Most of them in Canada, seem to be .30-06s and this is a fine chambering, if, you exchange the factory stocks for a light synthetic. They make about the NICEST no-bullschit hunting rifle, from the factory that I have ever used.

However, as a platform for a custom rifle in any standard chambering, I prefer a 21/22 series as they are the most carefully machined production sporting rifle, I have ever seen and are so well proportioned for such cartridges.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
When you change a ZG factory safety to a Mod. 70 style, you must use a Mod. 98 cocking piece instead of the factory one. This is then fitted to the ZG bolt and the bolt itself is not changed except for the little notch which is covered by both types of safety.

So, where is the problem in returning it to original factory specs. using the parts that you removed from the rifle? I have also seen ZGs here with FN safeties installed as that is what the owners felt comfortable with.

You're right. if you change the cocking piece the original parts can go back in but, the problem is the bolt needs to be notched for the new 3-position safety to work properly. The factory shroud will cover the notch if you ever wish to replace it but you've still got a rare factory gun that's been molested.

That's just the way I feel about it. Like you said "each to his own."

Terry