Notify
Tools

Stock Design
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
http://forums.accuratereloadin...9411043/m/8121081711

http://forums.accuratereloadin...9411043/m/8401021611

The two rifles whose photos are posted in the above discussions have a distinctly different wrist design. The Anderson rifle has a much straighter wrist (more straight back I guess) whereas the other rifle's wrist starts to drop a little sooner. I suppose the first rifle is an English design and the second an American? It would seem like the second type of wrist would be a more comfortable design to shoot? Anyone care to comment on the pros and cons of the two different types? Are they "copies" of something specific or just a gunsmith's interpretation? Thanks,
Blair

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Clowdis, both stocks can be used in a wide varity of situations but they both have area's they shine in.

The stock James Anderson is building has open grip and a lot of drop. This style stock for me is an absolute joy to shoot from a standing or upright position. I personaly like a little more drop than most people. I find that when the rifle comes to the shoulder my head oesn't need to be re-positioned to get a FOV in the scope. I can get the crosshairs on the target quicker and it's always felt more natural to me. The open grip is nice because the rifle goes from a carried to drawn position in one smooth fast action. The hand doesn't need to be re-positioned like with a more closed grip rifle. The down side is a rifle with a lot of drop can seem a little clumbsey on a bench.

The other stock built by Chic Worthing is more of a conventional style and what's viewed as "correct" by today's standards. This style really shines shooting from a bench, deerstand etc. A great stock design and very veratile.

They both have thier strong points and weakness.

Terry

PS. Typed on an iPhone, hope it's readable :~)

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry,
Thanks alot, great explanation. By open wrist you mean that the comb is placed a little further back allowing more freedom to get your hand on the wrist? I guess a couple of other things that determine the line of the wrist are the shape of the tang on the action and what radius the stocker uses to blend the comb to the wrist.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Yes, that plays in but also the grip being more horizonal plays the biggest factor. This style stock favors an elbow high style shooting positon.

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
Yes, that plays in but also the grip being more horizonal plays the biggest factor. This style stock favors an elbow high style shooting positon.

Terry

Uh-huh, I can see that. I've shot a lot of Civil War muskets and while they are more dropped in the wrist, they don't have a pistolgrip and so, they too, favor the high elbow shooting position. On the other hand, an AR15 with a vertical grip I shoot with my elbow down.
Blair

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Haven't seen it addressed here. But some guys have REAL big hands and need that longer grip, regardless of how high they hold their elbow.

Sort of a loosely written guide about the "grip": Measure from the first index finger joint to the web where your thumb meets the palm. For "average" this wil translate to distance from center of trigger to comb nose...THEN the grip cap can be positioned accordingly.

And...please don't take this as a hard and fast "rule" just a guide

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane is correct. The size of the shooters hand plays a large roll in the grip design.
We see a lot of guys build guns with open grips that have average size hands and thats not always a good idea.

In addition to that is the trigger placement. If you want open grips you should consider the triggers that are placed far back in the trigger gaurd...especially if you have smaller hands and must have an open grip.

Posts: 609 | Location: Cincinnati | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
An open grip is fine for people with average size hands. It's the actual length of the grip Duane was referring to.

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry,
When you refer to an "open" grip you are referring primarily to the underneath portion of the grip where your fingers go? Allowing more room for your hand to get between the triggerguard and the grip cap? I don't suppose anyone has published any drawings or patterns detailing the different styles of stocks? Can you recommend any study material?
Blair

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Duane explains it very well in a thread here called the Searcy schoolsrship rifle. Another source is the book proffesional stock making by David Westbrook.

IMO, the term open deals more with the angle than the length. although one does effect the other you can still have an open grip that's longer of shorter.

Terry

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
Another source is the book proffesional stock making by David Westbrook. Terry

Terry- Do you know any of Mr. Wesbrook's history and tenure as a stockmaker? If not, let me suggest checking his advice with current respected and well-known active professional stockmakers before following it.

I had some experience with him when he was living above Paul Marquart's workshop in Prescott. At that time he spent a lot of time saying he was as good or better than a number of the best stockmakers who have ever lived, and was constantly bitching that his stocks weren't selling for the same money as theirs.

Anyway, the one stock I had him build has no checkering because Dave didn't know (and so far as I know has never learned) how to checker a stock. If I was given the opportunity today, I would not have him build another for me no matter how low the price.

About a year or so after he made my stock, I believe he became a photographer for the NRA in Washington, D.C. and gave up his attempt to be a rich & famous stockmaker.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Personality conflicts aside, it's a wonderful book full of useful information. If somebody would like to learn more about the subject at hand and not argue about it I would consider it a useful tool and a good source of information. I've used it and built some decent stocks useing the techniques learned from the book. I personally would consider it alot more helpful than the petty bickering you get here lately.

Terry

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
About a year or so after he made my stock, I believe he became a photographer for the NRA in Washington, D.C. and gave up his attempt to be a rich & famous stockmaker.

After speaking to him at the ACGG show this year I can see how he might rub some people the wrong way. The same can be said for many craftsmen.

Anyway, I believe he is still an active stockmaker. I am pretty sure that he did not give it up as you said.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I don't think there was any petty bickering in my post...at least on re-reading it I can't find it.

It was simply suggested advice. No requirement that anyone use it. If he is still making stocks, fine. I can live without any more of them though.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
People kid me about being a 24k gold plated a$$hole. I'm really not, it's just that when I'm working I like to focus on my work and I really don't have the time or inclination toward bull$hitting. When I'm not working I'm a really nice guy, really I am. And Terry, thanks for the info. I'll pick up the book and see what I can find.
Blair

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found Wesbrook's book to be well-written and very informative, I recommend it.

My Daddy taught me that folks who brag are almost always punks. But, be that as it may, even a punk can still have relevant knowledge and give good advice.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clowdis:
And Terry, thanks for the info. I'll pick up the book and see what I can find.
Blair

Whhhoooooaaaahhh! $350 bucks used!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't sell my copy but might swap it, depending.....I like Martini Cadets and Winchester walls and unusual sights & parts, especially for single shots and classic bolt guns.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J.D.Steele:
I wouldn't sell my copy but might swap it, depending.....I like Martini Cadets and Winchester walls and unusual sights & parts, especially for single shots and classic bolt guns.
Regards, Joe

I don't have a Winchester hi or low wall I want to get rid of right now. I do have a 44 1/2 action only that I might part with. Needs a little work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clowdis:
I don't have a Winchester hi or low wall I want to get rid of right now. I do have a 44 1/2 action only that I might part with. Needs a little work.

I'm interested. Email me at treeblood1 aht ayowell daht cahm and we'll talk.
Regards, Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, now I have "the book" and it looks like an informative read. Financially this is as deep as I have ever been into any piece of literature, but less expensive tha screwing up a good piece of walnut!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That reminds me of how I felt after buying my gun safe. It blew my mind that I could spend THAT MUCH on something I couldn't even shoot!
But finally came to the conclusion that it was the best money I'd ever spent 'cause it saved a fortune in worry and added greatly to my personal satisfaction.
Regards, Joe