Find
Notify
Tools

Storing stuff in the white
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted
Now that I got my barreled actions back what is the best way to prepare them before they go into the safe for a coupla more years? I've got Ballistol, CLP, Eezox, Tetra and various oils.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1444 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A light coating of any of those you listed should be just fine. I like to keep the "white guns" in a "sackup" or something similar. I try and check 'em once a month or so, but then I'm paranoid when it comes to guns rusting.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Dry Rust Preventive Click "products" for more options in rust prevention

Mold Shield is what we use everyday in the shop I have worked in for the last 25 years. Absolute protection for long storage.

It is the best you can get!!!

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Old fashion Rig is pretty hard to beat. More than one year.

Or more convenient Breakfree CLP. One year.

Automatic Transmission Fluid is extremely good too. Several months to a year.

Craftsman

Posts: 1546 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put my barrels in pvc pipe and fill with ATF.

Actions & receivers are done the same in plastic tubs.

......civilize 'em with a Krag

Posts: 291 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
anything but tetra .. great lube, not for storage

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An experience with CLP Breakfree: Had a hell of a time de greasing a bbl and action sent to me for rust blue.

Bluing was spotty..bad spotty! Finally had to re polish.

Afterwards, asked the owner just what in hell he had used on the metal..."CLP Breakfree"

Using is AFTER bluing should present no problem

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is interesting Duane, we use breakfree clp as a lube while polishing prior to rust blue. I have never had a problem. We degrease with chlorinated break cleaner then acetone. The break cleaner is nasty stuff, but it works really well.
Steve

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I had an action stored in the white for over ten years and all that was ever put on it was a coat of LPS 2. I'd recoat it after handling or about once every couple of years

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like and use RIG as a coating for fairly long term storage. I heard it has recently changed due to being bought out by someone?

I have also used containers of ATF for long term storage, i.e. submerged. One word of caution is have the parts elevated a little as water will accumulate in the bottom from condensation over long.

I was in the Army when the switch was made to CLP from LSA. I never liked the feel or smell of CLP. I am not saying it is not effective, but will say it is different from other lubes.

I also recommend never using CLP in the bore. It is so slippery due to teflon(?) content that it takes me 15 rounds to get a barrel back to shooting normally. I am talking about huge groups and a very different point of impact. I am back to good old Hoppes and I mean good old Hoppes in glass bottles. I think Uncle Mike's may have changed more than the glass bottle???

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1444 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote