THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

how deep is unsafe on 98 Mauser receiver ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just picked up a VZ24 that looked to be in pretty good shape. However, when I took off the weaver scope mounts out of curiosity, I found that the two holes on the front mount, although placed correctly, are awfully deep. They don't penetrate into the threads or through into the chamber, but they look awfully close and look to be around .140 deep or so......
this gun is a 30-06.
I am not a gunsmith, I just like to play around with restocking, etc. The headspace is good, the gun was rebarreled with what looks like a barrel off an old JC Higgins.
I know nothing of the history. Is this thing a bomb waiting to go off, or ok to shoot? I would really appreciate the comments from you folks who know this stuff. I like a bargain, but I figure blowing off my hand or face is not much of a bargain.
thanks
Rick

DRSS

Posts: 707 | Location: Gulf coast SW Fla. USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't worry the barrel itself will hold the
pressurr.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can you post a picture of the receiver? If not, where exactly are the holes drilled? You say they are correctly placed, but do you actually know where they are supposed to be drilled? The rear front base hole should ideally be placed just in front of the locking lug abutment, not drilled into it, or into the face of the lug seat. Your description of the depth of the hole and that it did not go through leads me to believe it is drilled into the lug. The steel in the web area is relatively thin and it is generally thru-drilled. I'm not convinced that this is a safety issue, but some speculate it could result in setback over time due to reduced support behind the upper bolt lug.

Posts: 3713 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Commonly, when Mauser 98 actions are drilled and tapped for scope base, all four holes will completely penetrate the areas drilled. This is normal and has no adverse effect on strength.

The most common mistake I see on these is when the holes in the front ring are too far to the rear, with the rear hole either splitting the surface of the bolt seat or in the center of the upper lug. Although not correct I've never seen this cause a problem either.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This was covered in another thread recently. I always drill completely through to get maximum hold. Apparently so do others. The .14 depth is less than what I use as a target for any 6-48. Even with a bottomig tap, it is hard to get enough grip to hold with less. Shallower is OK for sights but scopes are heavy and need a good grip.

I would have to go check, but unless I am mistaken, the Wheeler jig I often use positions the rear hole over the lug, and there is no choice. A lot of mounts are essentially as long as the ring on the front and give you no choice. I really don't see how drilling a small screw hole in the lug could be any issue, unless drilled right into th face. I doubt if any rifle has ever been designed with that tight a tolerance. Besides, that area is in compression when fired. For comparison, calculate the thickness of barrel metal left over the throat area when drilling 0.14" deep holes for sight mounts, and remember that the barrel is in tension when fired.

Posts: 1237 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much guys.Great information.
Rick

DRSS

Posts: 707 | Location: Gulf coast SW Fla. USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Art S.:
This was covered in another thread recently. I always drill completely through to get maximum hold. Apparently so do others. The .14 depth is less than what I use as a target for any 6-48. Even with a bottomig tap, it is hard to get enough grip to hold with less. Shallower is OK for sights but scopes are heavy and need a good grip.

I would have to go check, but unless I am mistaken, the Wheeler jig I often use positions the rear hole over the lug, and there is no choice. A lot of mounts are essentially as long as the ring on the front and give you no choice. I really don't see how drilling a small screw hole in the lug could be any issue, unless drilled right into th face. I doubt if any rifle has ever been designed with that tight a tolerance. Besides, that area is in compression when fired. For comparison, calculate the thickness of barrel metal left over the throat area when drilling 0.14" deep holes for sight mounts, and remember that the barrel is in tension when fired.

The Wheeler jig positions the holes so that the rear front hole is placed ahead of the lug seat face. Most other jigs of that type do the same.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Forster jig, and my own ingenuity, have allowed me to drill the holes in almost any location needed. One size does not necessarily fit all, but I'm not aware of any jig that doesn't allow proper positioning of the holes if the operator is OK (grin). And FWIW I always drill all the way through the front ring.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
through the receiver isn't likely a big deal.. through the barrel is a problem

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
through the receiver isn't likely a big deal.. through the barrel is a problem

Truer words were never spoken.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I had a customer bring in a Swedeish Mauser ay had been drilled right through into the chamber. He claimed he'd had the rifle for years, shot it hundreds of times and never had a problem with it. He honestly was as surprised as I was to see the hole in the chamber.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You'd of thought you'd get some brass flowing and extraction issues.

Posts: 1315 | Location: South Puget Sound, WA | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This reminds me of something that happened to my dad years ago. He came home from the flea market years ago, and showed me a 22 rifle he had got in trade. The front sight was missing, and the mount hole was drilled through to the bore. The guy told him it shot great. I asked what he had traded for it. His reply was "A Seiko watch". I thought, oh man, he's been cheated! I pointed the hole out to him. His reply was, "I know, but it's OK. The Seiko was a fake."

Posts: 1237 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote