New
Find
Notify
Tools

# 1 Gun
 Login/Join

<Reloader 1>
posted
Over the years every fall I am bombarded with Remingtons series of semi auto rifles models 742,7400,etc.Without dwelling on the problems encountered with these S.O.B what are the rest of you seeing for problematic firearms in your shops?

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
From a Gunsmiths point of view I love these guns! They put a lot of food on the table (If you know what I mean). I work on so damn many of them!

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reloader 1

Here is a list of most frequent guns with problems that come in my shop.

Remington 1100/1187 : Extraction and feed problems, most often related to the fact that no one will clean the gun after shooting it. The chambers will get rust and crud in them hampering or preventing extraction, also putting wear and tear on everything related to work harder to extract. I love them.

Remington 742/7400 : Same problems. Same cause. I love them too.

Remington 600/700 : Accidental discharge when closing the bolt or taking off safe position. Usually from owner putting too much lube in barrel and or action, storing it muzzle up and lube drains to the trigger mechanism and gumming up. Second place for cause is someone adjusting the trigger when they don't know what they are doing. These come in quite often.

Browning A-5 : Cracked/broken buttstocks and fore ends. Caused by abuse. Failure to feed usually caused by some one not knowing how to assemble the barrel and friction assembly. This is a complex gun not tolerant of much abuse. They can have any number of a long list of problems. When working correctly and maintained properly they are a wonderful gun, a mechanical marvel. I'll say it again, I love them.

I love the Savage bolt guns as they come with a horrible trigger, feels like dragging a cat off a screen door. Takes a little extra work but I can adjust them pretty nice.

I get a lot of Weatherbys for trigger work. Crude trigger design but can be tuned pretty nice if you try hard. You guessed it. I love them.

Ruger MK II triggers, ditto.

Colt 1911 design handguns : They always need tweaking when new, they're never right out of the box. Mostly triggers and feed, extraction and ejection problems. You guessed it. I love them.

Posts: 1538 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Ol' Sarge>
posted
"feels like dragging a cat off a screen door"

ROTFLMAO!!!

I had a Savage once. That describes the trigger perfectly.

------------------
Say what you mean, and mean what you say.