Find
Notify
Tools

Repair/reshape a water damaged stock
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
I have this Mannlicher stock for a FN action. The rifle had a peep sight and 21" barrel. As it was built the comb was always too high. The maximum drop at the butt was only about 1.25". I had to really smash my face down to line up.

Using photoshop I removed the cheek piece but I'm concerned and or stumped how to reshape the rest of the cheekpiece.

There is no real figure in the stock and it has now been wet and will need at the very least to have the finish removed and replaced.

Trying to decide if it is worth the time and $$ to try and rework this stock or simply start over. How would a normal stock look with only a 21" barrel? I've always felt with a Mannlicher 21" was about 2" long.

Thoughts suggestions?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Darn shame about the water damage. However it did just go onto my List of constantly Rusting Blue that Rusted.

You sure did a fine job with the Photo Shop.

If it were me and the Bore is not damaged, I'd get the metal Coated rather than reBlued. I understand about the stock not fitting, so it looks like you are headed in the correct direction. You can always remove the Monte Carlo Cheekpiece "if" it still doesn't line up correctly after lowering the top.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
If it were me and the Bore is not damaged,

Best I can tell there appears to be a touch of surface rust on the last 3/4" of lands. Figured I stick it in another stock and test fire before I shorten the barrel. Will need a new crown I believe.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
New crown and shorten to your preference
New forearm belly line to be very slightly concave upward from the forearm rear, giving a slimming look
Cut top of Monte Carlo down to a straight line between the existing comb nose and the existing heel but leave the cheekpiece
Blend & fair the top of the cheekpiece into the new top line of the stock's comb
2 choices with the front of the cheekpiece: front reverse hook to match the rear hook (Euro look) or continue the existing line forward but lengthening, straightening and raising it slightly to finally disappear at the rear of the checkering pattern (US look)
In either case add a shadow line to the perimeter of the reshaped cheekpiece

Cost? Should be low compared to any alternative.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
ouch.. sorry Paul ..
try dropping the action into a spare mauser stock and see.. 21" is a goodly length

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38593 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
ouch.. sorry Paul

Thanks. Yep who would have thought of storage unit flooding in Denver after leaving Houston.

Here is what is left of a sweet original FN stock I had on my 380PDK. Hopefully a good refinish will save it. Notice the pad. It was flush to the wood before

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The FN stock is repairable. Has it split anywhere? Wha t does the rest of it look like? Ron

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Has it split anywhere? Wha t does the rest of it look like?

It hasn't split as far as I can see. It was sitting upright in the safe so water came in via the anchor holes. All damage is shown. I had about 15 rifles and shotguns oiled, wrapped in paper in cardboard boxes. The bottom 10-12" were in contact with the soaked paper. About 8 came out damp but undamaged. So it could have been a lot worse.

Plan on letting them do some serious air drying.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K