Find
Notify
Tools

does it matter?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gents:

Does/should it matter what a stock ultimately looks like (within reason) if it fits the shooter?

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
To some extent at least, I would say "Yes. It does matter".

If a person is comfortable with the looks of his gun, I see no problems and would think looks unimportant.

BUT, if the person feels uneasy with its appearance, I suspect it is bound to degrade his performance with the gun at least slightly, whether technically it fits right or not. One's attitude can often have an undue influence in how they perform at anything, including shooting.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 7x57 that I built 15 years ago.I was in a hurry to get it ready for a hunt.I put 4 coats of tru-oil on it and ran out of time.
I also put 3 or 4 coats of wax on it inside and out.I have looked at it every year since I put it together and thought about taking it apart and re-finishing the stock.
Every time I do I can't bring myself to do it,it works so well and it is my go to working rifle when the weather is crappy.I have others with as much as 16 coats on thm and this one lookes just as good to me.I think it is because I don't have to worry about screwing it up when hunting.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i was thinking more in terms of the stock shape, design, etc.?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Guns are functional, but can also be works of art in it's fullest sense. I often take a gun out of the safe just to look at it, shoulder it etc. Maybe I'm just a pervert of some kind!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely it matters. An ugly gun is no more worth carrying than an inaccurate one.

Posts: 664 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
does it matter what you drive as long as you get there?
does it matter if your pants fit as long as you ass doesn't hang out?
does it matter it matter? auuuuuuuuugh!!!!!!!

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey butchloc, you just wrote a country and western song! Big Grin

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen some folks shooting some pretty darn ugly rifles in International long range matches. Mostly some kind of blond, dirty looking wooden stocks (beech maybe). Mostly European shooters though. Some of the British, all of the Kenyans, some Jamaicans are the most guilty partys. Generally most Americans shoot pretty nice rifles as do the Ausies and Canadians. Mine is highly figured black walnut. We have had our butts handed to us in the last few matches by those ugly British rifles, but we looked good going down!!Smiler

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not no but hell no. That being said, I use the same analogy as I do for dogs and girlfriends.
Function over form--ALWAYS! But if they can look good performing, that's even better.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I was a bit vague so I'll try again:

My question emanates from a conversation I had with another gentleman who does stock work. His position was essentially that a riflestock for a larger caliber (e.g. 375 +) should utilize a bit of negative pitch in the comb. I was looking at some of the pics submitted by members of rifles they had done and could not find any examples beyond the commercial offerings of Weatherby and Empire Rifles.

I then asked if whether, to a point, aesthetics be damned one should have a riflestock built to their measurements and forget how it looks.

I think the heart of the question regards the use of negative pitch (hope I'm saying this right) in the comb of a riflestock.

So, gunsmiths chime in: Negative pitch in the comb: your opinions and why or why not use it.

There. I feel better.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Negative pitch can be done subtly without showing that much. You're always going to have a slight humpbacked look but as long as you don't do some god-awful 1970's Weatherby style raised cheekpiece, it shouldn't be that bad to look at.

Saying that, none of the 375 H&H and larger guns that I have shot have had any negative pitch and I have never felt the need for it.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
no.. negative pitch is usually ugly ...
i've shot all the way to 577 magnum and 585 nyati is low drop stocks .. works fine

since a 375 IS NOT A HARD KICKING RIFLE, the going in position appears to represent a bias of the speaker, and not factualy content.

Further, negative drop stocks are nearly impossible to use irons with, effetively .. that's a scope only proposition .... even some low drop stocks make that hard

if negative drop cured recoil, it would THE standard for all big bores .. its not, as bogbores and iron sights go together...

so, a negative drop ugly rifle is being uglier than a normal rifle AND not acheiving an offset in function ... though F(tionality) Ugly may be another backcronym for Fugly

btw, i routinely shoot 416/458/470/500/550 in standard shaped rfiles.. about 1" drop ... as NO negative drop rifle would fit me...

the person that says this is probably not a habitual bigbore shooter

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39661 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
as always jeffe, thanks for the straight info!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Jeff...more drop at the comb than at the heel is foolish.... ever saw a human being built like that? OK ok...maybe Quasimoto!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
does someone have a copy of "Peter Capstick's Africa"? On the back of the dust cover is a photo of what I'm talking about in terms of design style. could someone scan the pic and upload it for discussion? i don't have a scanner.

I believe it looks like the rifle he had Continental Arms Co of NYC build for him. I could be wrong. At any rate, I am referring to the comb and also the pitch on the buttstock.

Thanks. Hopefully that will clear up my origninal question.