New
Find
Notify
Tools

Removing the finish from a glossy Browning stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know I've seen this before on this forum, but I did a search and couldn't find it. Does anyone have any experience with removing the high-gloss finish from a Browning A-Bolt stock? What is that stuff anyway, poly urethane maybe? I didn't like the way it looked so much when it was new, but now every little scratch looks like hell. I want to strip it off then refinish the wood if I can.

Thanks!

Posts: 66 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
get some 000 steel wool and rub the finish hard. It'll remove some of the light scratches and reduce the shine. It just might save you a lot of refinishing.

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did both my BLR's with 0000 steel wool, Nice matte finish, although in the year 2040 someone will wonder why some idiot screwed up the finish on a classic gun.

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Here is what I did on my Weatherby that had a super glossy finish similar to what Browning uses.

Take 0000 steel wool and natural Watco Danish Oil. Dip the steel wool into the oil so it is very wet and keep it that way through the whole process. Buff out the entire stock in a circular motion. The oil acts as lubricant to the steel wool and will prevent any scratches or scuffs from the steel wool from showing. Once you have gone over the entire stock, wipe it dry and repeat just to make sure you have an even buff. Wipe the stock completely dry and buff with a dry cloth.

You will end up with a very nice soft satin finish that looks and feels very nice. And like mentioned above, it will do wonders to hide minor scratches and dings. My Weatherby was looking pretty haggard until I did this to it and it DRAMATICALLY improved it.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Someone posted a "Stripper" they used for this... i think that coating, and the one on the shinny winchesters, must be left over surface coating for alien spacecraft... harder than HECK.. and 24hours of citristrip just dulled it.

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is excellent advise. I removed the finish from a Browning B-78 once-upon-a-time. Never again. Many applications of paint/varnish stripper and much elbow grease. Cussing didn't even help much!
Browning's finish is epoxy-like in nature. If I were to do another, I would consider a long immerssion in acetone to soften it enough to scrape it.

Posts: 332 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
gnoahh, I'm a little confused (a common state of affairs). Which advise did you mean is excellent? Using the steel wool wetted in oil?

Thanks to everyone for their comments.

Posts: 66 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I sure would try the steel wool and oil before I attempted to remove the finish. If the first doesn't work there is always the removal. If you start the removal you are committed.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OOOO steel wool and Danish Oil. Sorry for the confusion.

Posts: 332 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mousegun
posted Hide Post
Could someone please post a pic of what the steel wool and oil looks like on a Browning stock?

------------------------------------
Originally posted by BART185

I've had another member on this board post an aireal photograph of my neighborhood,post my wifes name,dig up old ads on GunsAmerica,call me out on everything that I posted. Hell,obmuteR told me to FIST MYSELF. But you are the biggest jackass that I've seen yet, on this board!
--------------------------------------

-Ratboy

Posts: 194 | Location: Copperhead Road | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
To remove the finish so you can start from scratch use Jasco paint and epoxy stripper. I get it at Home Depot. Wear gloves, long sleeves and safety glasses as this stuff really burns. It will also melt many plastic containers so use a glass jar if you want to work from a smaller container. Brush it on with natural bristle brush and let it sit for ten minutes or so, then use a putty knife to scrape it off. May need to do it twice, then rinse well with warm water. I've refinished many Brownings using Jasco.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
I've done Browning's and Remington BDL's with Citristrip and it took the finish right off. Slop the citristrip on thick, wrap it in aluminum foil, wait 30 minutes and work it off with a stiff nylon bristle brush and a little more stripper to loosen it up. I have had to reapply only once and it was on a Remington BDL stock that I didn't wait long enough on the first coat.

Good luck,
Weagle

Posts: 737 | Location: atlanta ga | Registered: 11 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What and where is watco danish oil?

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I was talking to a rep from Devoe industrial coatings a while back and he confirmed that Weatherby bought a catalyzed clear epoxy from them for their rifles during one era or another. It needs a true epoxy stripper or mechanical scrapers. When Weatherby quit buying it they discontinued the formula.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fish30114:
What and where is watco danish oil?

It's an oil type finish that is mostly used in finishing furniture and fine woodworking. Just about any good paint store should carry it. Watco is the brand.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Craigster.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote